Electronic Warfare Units

switch_back

Reaction score
Country
ll
I am quite new to modern tactical warfare gaming, I have spent most of my wargaming time in WWII strategy until I learnt of these types of high quality modern warfare simulations.

With this said I would like to ask the best way to use electronic warfare units, I am not sure whether they should be kept well out of the way, or reasonobly close to the frontline action. Also wherever they are deployed, how are they best utilised and what effect will they give me?

Sorry this may seem like a stupid question, but im only used to using military units with combat and logistics capacity :cheeky:

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
switch_back said:
I am quite new to modern tactical warfare gaming, I have spent most of my wargaming time in WWII strategy until I learnt of these types of high quality modern warfare simulations.

With this said I would like to ask the best way to use electronic warfare units, I am not sure whether they should be kept well out of the way, or reasonobly close to the frontline action. Also wherever they are deployed, how are they best utilised and what effect will they give me?

Sorry this may seem like a stupid question, but im only used to using military units with combat and logistics capacity :cheeky:
Not a stupid question at all, switch.

IEW units are used to either collect information from the enemy in the form of more accurate reports on enemy morale, combat power, etc. or to ATTACK the enemy's C2 capabilities. Check the USR for the IEW unit and you'll see the modes they can have are Collection and Attack. These modes also change the size of the range footprint of the electronic systems. Collection gives a larger footprint to represent the passive collection systems which require less energy to run. When you put the unit into attack mode, the footprint gets smaller to reflect the use of more energy and personnel to work in that mode. IEW units have little combat power themselves, but can be a potent combat multiplier when you consider the effects on the enemy.

The best way I have found to employ these types of units are to have them close to a BN or BDE sized combat unit with ADA to provide a balanced mix of protection.

I know you didn't ask, but combining IEW units and the Psyops unit provides a 1-2 punch against the enemy in their active footprints to quickly degrade both morale and C2, which can render an enemy unit almost completely impotent rather quickly! (Can you say MRE drops to a starving Iraqi Army?!:) ).

Too often combat multipliers are overlooked in games/sims in preference of the combat unit,...but that can be dangerous.;)

Anyway, hope this helps you in your enjoyment of Decisive Action.

Curt

Last edited:

switch_back

Reaction score
Country
ll
Yes that has made things much clearer now, ill have to set myself into a new scenario with that in mind and see how it pans out, perhaps it will help reduce the casulty rate somewhat, by providing my combat units with that extra edge!

I havent yet used a psyops unit, that is something for consideration aswell.

on the side of the ADA cover that you mentioned, if I dont have many ADA units, would you say that IEW units would take more of a priority for protection? or should I stick to keeping my HQ units and primary assualt forces secure in this situation?

[As a minor point, for all concerned who are involved in the forums, I would like to say what a great atmosphere it is here, no-one saying your a stupid newbie or whatever, and the replies to a question are very informative and in great detail.

This has to be one of the best wargaming forums I have come across, thanks for all your help its really appreciated!! ;)]

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
switch_back said:
...if I dont have many ADA units, would you say that IEW units would take more of a priority for protection? or should I stick to keeping my HQ units and primary assualt forces secure in this situation?
In this case, you should actually have your IEW units close to your manuever units so they are within the ADA unit umbrella and they are closer to the enemy's manuever units.

switch_back

Reaction score
Country
ll
Yes that was a consideration, but that strategy worried me somewhat in that the clash of footprints might do more harm than good, should artillery start raining down.

But with due thought to the risk of those units out of ADA cover getting hit by those bloody devestating bombers, not a bad idea :D

Thanks