zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Journal 5 Debriefing (all this assuming your RB is 2nd Edition, of course):

B23.211: line 5 after "(A10.61)," add "Victory Conditions (A26),".

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Loquitor said:
I feel like the little hungry child in a Sally Struthers infomercial watching her eat a turkey leg
That's quite a mental image! You just never know what you'll find when you visit Warfare HQ. It's the McElligot's Pool of wargaming.

pryoung

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
zgrose said:
B23.211: line 5 after "(A10.61)," add "Victory Conditions (A26),".
D'oh!

Actually, I'm a couple of issues behind on errata, so no surprise I guess. :(

Pete

morrigu

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
My ASLRBv2

Okay okay.

Now that all of you have posted their nice ASLRBv2 screenshots I couldn't stand using my old, ugly v1 anymore. Here's what the MySQL, PHP, JavaScript based Rulebook looks like.
I especially like the tooltips. :laugh:

Greets ... ollo

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
morrigu said:
Okay okay.
Now that all of you have posted their nice ASLRBv2 screenshots I couldn't stand using my old, ugly v1 anymore. Here's what the MySQL, PHP, JavaScript based Rulebook looks like.
I especially like the tooltips. :laugh:
Is it my display or the images themselves? They were pretty much a mess on my screen. :surprise:

purdyrc

Duke Nukem
Reaction score
Probably your display. Internet Explorer automatically sizes the picture to fit on your screen, but the attached screenshots are much larger than that. You can view the image in the correct size by hovering your cursor over the picture, waiting a second, and then clicking on the resize arrows that pop up in the lower right-hand part of the image.

- Rick

Enkindu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MMP really should

give away the rulebook in HTML or PDF and worry about producing modules, etc. to make the money. Just think how easy it would be to fix a rules errata.

I started on my own RB electronic version recently. I went with Microsoft Word - before you bomb me with email saying why that format - read on. I have been able to put my rulebook on the Tungsten T Palm Pilot which has an expanded readable area in landscape format. The only issue was it easy to find software for a Palm to read in the new expanded format for Word but so far I haven't seen the capability for HTML or PDF. I can easy convert the Word document to HTML or PDF when the Palm software companies catch up with the new technology.

I just have to finish the RB now - I have A-E done and part of F and G.

Would be really nice to have an MMP version though. :cry:

Danish

CyberASL Open Tournament Director
Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Ok, here's my version of the eASLRB.

Being a closet-artdude, I put weight on the apperance of the book as well as userbility. I have concentrated on making it look as much like the original book as possible using html coding, an obvious exception is the navigation panel at the top of the page. The buttons underneath the chapters can be used for whatever you fancy. I have decided to use one for scenarios (e.g. I have scannet my scenarios into .pdf and they are accessible from the scenario page of my eASLRB.

Here are three actual size screenshots from page A6:
Top of the page
Middle of page
Bottom of page

Comment indeed are welcome.

Kenneth Knudsen

Jay White

my sh*t is so tight
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Very nice, Kenneth.

If MMP doesn't make their own eASLRB, I'm afraid they'll find that "pirate" eASLRB's are spread around soon enough anyways. I have a "pirated" eASLRB right now, in fact - but it doesn't have the snazzy example diagrams that Kenneth's has.

I'm not saying I'm going to start sending my eASLRB around, but we all know how quick stuff gets around on the internet.

MMP could even buy someone's eASLRB to distribute. Kenneth, perhaps you should pitch the idea to the MMP boys..?

I would certainly buy the MMP version of the eASLRB. I'm sure most others would too.

(For the record, I paid for every scenario I have, including v.1 and v.2 of the rulebook... even though i _HAVE_ recieved electronic copies of some of the same stuff, that I use on my laptop)

-Jay

Danish

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Perhaps if MMP like the idea, they could set up a work group (like they did with the Platoon Movement rules ;) ) and different aspects of an eASLRB could be discussed, e.g. format, userbility, printerfriendliness, online or CD based etc etc.
As many people are online these days, a pure online version could also be an option. MMP can then make money from subscriptions, and all subscribers would then always have an updated rulebook. This could be handy with a wireless LAN and a laptop next to the game. Imagine a tournament with wireless LAN and online rulebook accessability. How cool could that be?
The possibilities are endless.

Kenneth

Bryan Holtby

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
MMP has looked into an eASLRB, however, according to the last series of posts on this subject (comes up a couple times a year) there are possible legal issues as AH sold the 'electronic' rights to ASL long ago. Question is....does this include an electronic rulebook? This was the last I had heard of it and that was at least a year ago.

.....and we all know how fast MMP moves on things :laugh:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Bryan Holtby said:
And I do not forget the written promise, given at the end of the "Introduction to the 2nd edition" of the RB : "An Introductory version of ASL, including the complete ASL Rules on CD-ROM is in the offering."
Of course, one mustn't forget another promise, some lines before : "Armies of Oblivion will come out in the next year".
That was in 2000...
Quiquennal projects never work - the fall of the Soviet sytem ought to keep us aware of it. :laugh:

But that announcement shows that MMP had no mental restriction against an electronical version of the RB at that time... Let us hope that, if they lost time, they did not change their mind! :OHNO: :sigh1:

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Danish said:
Ok, here's my version of the eASLRB.

Being a closet-artdude, I put weight on the apperance of the book as well as userbility. I have concentrated on making it look as much like the original book as possible using html coding, an obvious exception is the navigation panel at the top of the page. The buttons underneath the chapters can be used for whatever you fancy. I have decided to use one for scenarios (e.g. I have scannet my scenarios into .pdf and they are accessible from the scenario page of my eASLRB.

Here are three actual size screenshots from page A6:
Top of the page
Middle of page
Bottom of page

Comment indeed are welcome.

Kenneth Knudsen
You've just forced me to take my version to higher levels - just as I thought I had a handle and might finish in the next couple of months. :mad:

Georgii2222

Really Groovy Frood
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bryan Holtby said:
MMP has looked into an eASLRB, however, according to the last series of posts on this subject (comes up a couple times a year) there are possible legal issues as AH sold the 'electronic' rights to ASL long ago. Question is....does this include an electronic rulebook? This was the last I had heard of it and that was at least a year ago.

Actually, Brian said that that was cleared up some time ago.

Danish

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Georgii2222 said:
Actually, Brian said that that was cleared up some time ago.
What was cleared up?
Has MMP taken a final stance on this subject or is it still debatable? I know it comes up a lot (at least once a year) but have MMP actually commented on it?
Would be cool to at least get a "No, we will never do an eASLRB" = end of discussion.

Kenneth

Doc Ozzie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Greetings,

Suggesting an eASLRB and how it will help the ASL community appears to make perfect business sense. The release of the SK to attract new people has been apparent; howerver, this new blood cannot buy a RB or first core module. Furthermore, MMPs business model has been a discussion that is beat to death every so often. IMO and sadly, the bottom line is..."Nothing is going to happen."

Some things that I considered.

1) MMP has their hands tied by Hasbro about the producing of an eASLRB

2) They are busy with Gamers activities,

3)ASL hobbyist need to accept that MMP is as a part-time business run by gamers and not business men. Regardless, new people will come and leave. But, the trend that will happen over the next 10-20 years is a slow death unless the busines model changes.

Just my thoughts.

The black market of eASLRBs will prosper.

Oliver

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A PDA-compatible version would be the way to go, eventually.

Doctors can get an entire (huge!) desk reference on a PDA. The ASLRB could follow that format.

A PDA version that I could carry in my coat pocket would sure beat dragging around my 4 separate rulebooks (separate b/c they are in page dividers).

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any idea how much space the entire ASLRB would take up as .pdf files? Would it even fit on a PDA or Pocket PC?

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Chas Argent said:
Any idea how much space the entire ASLRB would take up as .pdf files? Would it even fit on a PDA or Pocket PC?
The windows help file version that I'm making is up to 2.3 mb through Ch. B (complete with images). A .pdf is comparable, though it can be compressed and optimized a bit more.