Electronic ASL Rulebook Now on Sale!!

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
At least my gmail email diverted the new version notification to offers folder. So you have to keep an eye open for it

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can you put notes in the e-rulebook like you write notes in the margins of your paper print rulebook?
My Samsung Note 10+ has a screen write pen feature which all alows me to write and save notes on documents, pdfs...

Sure there are other similar apps on other devices.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Still would love to hear if anybody is able to get a clickable-link version working on Kindle. I tried Calibre, but it didn't work well at all.

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
I appreciate that MMP has taken pains in this latest release to clean up many of the places where the red of the hot links spills over into the ensuing punctuation. There are still some slips (in the first 40 pages of Chapter A I noticed issues in A.1, A4.14, A5.5, A7.24, A7.302, A7.4, A7.53, A7.81, A7.831, A9.11, A10.5, A12.31, and A12.33), but it looks a lot crisper than before.

Last edited:

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Calibre is a fantastic piece of free software that organizes and converts ebooks to and from various formats. You should be able to use it to convert the eRB PDF to an EPUB.
Nope. Failed utterly for me. The app didn't hang, but it sure produced garbage at the end. There's lots of options under the hood of that app and maybe some of them would do the trick, but as a first-time user who didn't create the original PDF to be converted and thus doesn't know what exactly needs to be reformatted how, I sure as heck wasn't gonna succeed there. So again, if anybody manages to use Calibre or any other app to convert the pdf to an epub or whatever format a Kindle will natively read (with clickable links), that'd be greaaat....

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I downloaded the v1.04-inherit_zoom version. I tried two PDF readers (Adobe Acrobat DC and Foxit) on my Mac. Neither one kept the zoom level when clicking on a link.

Edit: I tried Preview again. I had stopped using it because it did not show the navigation bookmarks when I clicked on Bookmarks. I went back to it today to see what it did with the zoom level. With v1.04, Preview keeps the same zoom level when following links. Plus, I found out the Preview's Table Of Contents displays the navigation bookmarks. So all is good for me.

Edit 2: I used Preview with v1.03 and saw that it kept the zoom level when following links.

Last edited:

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I downloaded the v1.04-inherit_zoom version. I tried two PDF readers (Adobe Acrobat DC and Foxit) on my Mac. Neither one kept the zoom level when clicking on a link.

Edit: I tried Preview again. I had stopped using it because it did not show the navigation bookmarks when I clicked on Bookmarks. I went back to it today to see what it did with the zoom level. With v1.04, Preview keeps the same zoom level when following links. Plus, I found out the Preview's Table Of Contents displays the navigation bookmarks. So all is good for me.

Edit 2: I used Preview with v1.03 and saw that it kept the zoom level when following links.
There is also a function for "Bookmarks" but from what I can see this is for user-defined bookmarks. When you select Bookmarks in "View" it is initially blank. I'm on a MacBook Air, with Preview, and I can create my own bookmarks using "Command, D". These are distinct from the published Table of Contents with navigation shortcuts. I think the bookmarks can be very useful if you're going to play a scenario with less familiar rules that you want to pre-select and then refer to quickly during gameplay. Sort of like putting the colored tassels in the hymnal pages before the service starts. :)

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Strange thing - I did get the email for the 1.03 update, but not for 1.04.

As for using Calibre to convert to EPUB... my Calibre 3.44 (awfully out of date, I admit) did convert the PDF rulebook to EPUB. It took about an hour and a half doing it, and it did an ugly job of it - the Calibre viewer takes about 30 seconds to open the file, and the conversion is pretty unreadable - each line in the RB became a short paragraph by itself. The only positive is that it managed to not mix the two columns (that I can see).

I suppose the result could be used to convert it back to mostly plain text, but it would still take a lot of work.

dur

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, I think it has something to do with how PDFs are laid out in chunks of text like you would do for a newspaper. The text doesn't just "flow" from page to page. It would probably take some fine tuning of the Calibre converter to get something that works.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd LOVE to see a "single column" option for the existing eRB. It would make it so much nicer to read on a tablet. No idea how feasible that would be, but a girl can dream, can't she?

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just downloaded v1.04-inherit_zoom version of the eASLRB and the inherit zoom function is not working for me as well. I tried it in both Foxit and Adobe. I'll zoom out a page to about 170% and then click a hyperlink and when it goes to the new page the zoom is at full page.