Electronic ASL Rulebook Now on Sale!!

Kijug

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
Excellent! I missed the Appendix 7 pre-rotated versions. This solves my issue. Thank you.
Huh? I think macOS Preview works great (various scrolling, rotating chart pages, zooming in/out, etc.) That's what I use on the Mac. I prefer it over Adobe Reader, my two cents. I haven't used Foxit, but iBooks works well on the iPad, also.

Kijug

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
OK, now the stupid question. If the Pocket ASLRB can be produced by print-on-demand can a full-size ASLRB (stack of loose-leaf paper) be produced by print-on-demand? The PDF is great, but I do prefer a paper copy in my 1st ed binder.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Huh? I think macOS Preview works great (various scrolling, rotating chart pages, zooming in/out, etc.) That's what I use on the Mac. I prefer it over Adobe Reader, my two cents. I haven't used Foxit, but iBooks works well on the iPad, also.
I could not make Preview use the Bookmarks installed in the eASLRB. Could you?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I would venture that the full size, paper rulebook, will be much less relevenant now that we have an electronic version.
About everybody has a smartphone or tablet on which one can read the pdf easily.
The fact that it will be regularily updated for free makes the three ring binder obsolete.

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Normally I can rotate documents in Preview. But when I tried to rotate a chart in Preview, it prompted me for an "owner password" that I do not have/know. Then it cleared out the table of contents, and the application hung up. I needed to do a force quit. Something weird is going on with Preview in conjunction with this specific document. But as someone else pointed out down thread, if you go to Appendix 7, all of the charts are included in their normal orientation, so no rotating is required.

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
In Preview, you do have to toggle the sidebar between "Bookmarks" and "Table of Contents" in order to see either/or. Mac shortcut "Command D" will create a bookmark for the desired page.

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
The fact that it will be regularily updated for free makes the three ring binder obsolete.
Well, no.

I far, far prefer the printed copy: I can turn the pages, I can make notes, I can manipulate it far more adeptly than I can a cell phone, and it has a crisper font. I love paper: I tire of looking at screens.

Sure, MMP will likely sell fewer printed copies of the ASLRB than before, now that the eASLRB is available. But MMP still sells plenty of ASL modules even with the presence of VASL.

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Well, no.
I far, far prefer the printed copy: I can turn the pages, I can make notes, I can manipulate it far more adeptly than I can a silly cell phone, and it has a crisper font. I love paper: I tire of looking at screens.

Sure, MMP will likely sell fewer printed copies of the ASLRB than before, now that the eASLRB is available. But MMP still sells plenty of ASL modules even with the presence of VASL.
I shouldn't have generalized, of course.
I never found the large binder very user friendly, to the point that I photocopied it and used four separate supple binders - not speaking of the fact that putting all pages in one binder is now impossible : I use my older 1st edition binder for chapter H.
When the pocket rulebook came out, it immediately replaced the heavy, unwieldy large binder.
And now that I have the pdf, my smartphone will do the job.

But I perhaps am the exception and your preference could be the most common one.
I however have some doubts, as quite a lot of people play on VASL anyway (in my case, because I don't have many opponents for a FtF in the neighborhoud): having the pdf open in a window when playing online is very practical.

As for gribbling in my rulebook, as the pdf integrated all the errata and will update undefinitely, I don't see the need anymore.

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
I agree that perhaps the notebook format has outlived its usefulness, now that the rules are very stable. I would enjoy a copy of the printed ASLRB (not the pASLRB) in a soft-bound cover: it would take up less space on the table, it'd be easier to turn the pages, although the pages wouldn't lie open as easily.

However I'm not a fan of using the pASLRB as my primary rulebook because the font is smaller and less crisp, and the pages are grayer (reducing the contrast) and thinner. The ASLRB, though, is excellent: it's easy on the eyes, with heavy paper. It's a top-notch product!

Last edited:

WinningerR

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is important to be able to look for amended sections in the ASLRB maze as they are introduced.
We'll definitely call out major content updates. Almost all the corrections, so far, have been minor typos. The next version fixes the instances where parentheses or brackets around hyperlinked rules references inadvertently picked up the red color, and updates the advice for those who'd prefer the zoom level remain the same after a link is clicked.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
One thing the eASLRB does not have is the chart which was released in one of the annuals ('96 I think) which gave the various MF costs of infantry carrying PP and/or going CX. This chart included all the various possibilities of combining with SMC, going CX and carrying various PP. It is a very handy chart for play. There may be other charts in the annuals and journals which would be useful too.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
One thing the eASLRB does not have is the chart which was released in one of the annuals ('96 I think) which gave the various MF costs of infantry carrying PP and/or going CX. This chart included all the various possibilities of combining with SMC, going CX and carrying various PP. It is a very handy chart for play. There may be other charts in the annuals and journals which would be useful too.
It is page 688, under the IIFT table, as on the physical divider.