EDSON's RIDGE 12N AAR

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
OK, JP and I are back, this time with that Jungle Bunfight 'Edson's Ridge' we have just completed 12N and are about to embark on the 13D game...

I have made a small website to house my AARs and you will find the ER one there, as well as the PB HASL from start to finsh. The ABtF AAR is currently being converted to html and that is going up bit by bit as time allows

It can all be found here: Legion's ASL AARs

aysi$

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hey great site

been thinking about getting this one,this may turn me

where abouts in Aust are you

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
aysi$ said:
Hey great site been thinking about getting this one, this may turn me
where abouts in Aust are you
Thanks for the support... i am in Sydney, JP is in Adelaide

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the USMC is in trouble. In my campaign the line shown at end of scenario was about where I ended the campaign. :cheeky:

Sam "I lost as the Japanese"

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
SamB said:
I think the USMC is in trouble. In my campaign the line shown at end of scenario was about where I ended the campaign.
I think the Marines are in trouble too. Unless the Marines counter-attack during 13 day, the Japanese will have accumulated 68 VP out of the 75 VP they need. Picking up the remainder might be a bit tricky, but between exit points and an all-out assault on the other hill, they should be able to get them. The thing that complicates the analysis is that there were almost no casualties on either side. But I think the Attacker wins in this case.

I think the first night should end with the Marines and Japanese glaring at each other on the southern hill. The Marines need to use their arty (and on my purchase list is a second module) to cause heavy casualties among the Japanese. In the center, a line of halfsquads stands up front, catching any Banzai or Advance, backed by a line of squads, many with MMGs. The entire area is probably blanketed with harrassing fire OBA. Six FP flat (or -1 or -2) vs the Japanese, +4 vs. the Americans in entrenchments.

Unfortunately the Marines also have to set up a cordon defense in the jungle in the west. It's important for the Marines to get the Japanese out of cloaking so the Japanese pay the extra MF cost for concealment terrain at night.

In the east the paramarines have to set up a thin screen to prevent the Japanese from easily gaining the ridge from that side.

It's likely to be bloody, and the Marines do need their firepower to be high. If they do, between those shots and the arty, they should be able to stunt the Japanese attack and exact a high price for the southern ridge. If the Japanese can't get full VP for the southern ridge and are losing the exchange of squads, they will be hard-pressed to win.

JR

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I agree with the assessment of the predicament the Marines are in. I think he gave me the hill too easily... In fact, in the first game we played (until we remembered that there is no LOS from Illumination into Jungle hexes) JP did just as you guys suggested. Sure we both got smashed and i ended up taking his Trenches and the majority of the Hill, but i had taken some fearsome losses and probably would not be attacking in the 13D day as a result.

I totally agree that he must counter-attack sooner than later. I dont think that the US have the ability to pull it off in the evening, so it will have to be in this 13D game. As i have not finished my setup yet i cannot look beneath those pretty foxholes, but i have noticed some units seem to be ready to make a charge... problem is, a simple break and they are done for!

I think that the major thing the US player has to remember is that a strip result on a Japanese unit is permanent... there is no coming back from that... thus combat is ALWAYS in the US forces favour.

Anyway i can say no more, he will read this, and i cant afford to have my cunning plans exposed... you shall have to wait for the AAR!

Last edited:

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
OK the 13N game has ended, it was a slaughterhouse... mostly dice induced... but basically 2 flanks collided with predicatable results. The AAR can be found here:
Legions AARs

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
And here we are, back again (with a 2 month delay for my usual work overseas) with the end of the game.

At the end of the 13 Night I game the US surrendered.

The loss of the Hill last game made it an uphill battle for the Marines, but with the choice of an Idle chit this game he was going to be relient on my plans... i chose a cautious attack that picked up steam as it progressed. The final outposts offering a doorway to the Hill fell and with it the last dregs of Personal ELR for the US Commander. So with a cup of sake raised my victorious men are lifting the rising sun flag over on Hill 125... meanwhile i had better start coming up with a plan for an attack on Henderson's Field

Actually our next CG will be a replaying of the classic KGP CG I - I cant wait. :smoke: