ECZ15 The Best Defence

PS NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played this fun scenario yesterday with Gary Mei. It features a side bidding system as in the rest of Enrico's advancing fire pack.

15.5 548's with 2 Pz4, a panther, and two HT's attack vs. 12 666 with a 57L ATG, three Baz44, a 9-2/.50cal; reinforced by three Shermans.

The Germans have only six turns to amass VP's (one per SE/tank within three hexes of 70G5/Y5, -2 per tank eliminated) >= secret bid from 2 to 7. In addition, at game end there can't be US GO MMC in 2 of 3 trenches. Not knowing the scenario, Gary and I bid 4 and I got the US by dr.

There is an interesting pre-german setup recon game-within-a-game too. Basically, the attacker can risk a few units in order to see where the ATG is set up. Gary and I agreed it made sense to recon with the max possible units (a 7-0, 548, HT- with the 548 and HT coming from turn 2 reinforcements) in order to have a 58% chance of finding the AT gun's location. Gary rolled well and found both my gun, both BAZ 1/2 squads and eliminated a dummy stack in Y4 with no losses.

I thought the US' only chance was to set up the trenches in the rear and fight a withdrawal through the village back to them.
pre-turn 1

Gary came through the woods into the village, which I think is the correct approach. The first two turns not much happened. I burned a HT with the 9-2/.50 when it tried to cut off a rout path. Gary pressed up to the village, but my troopers held tough and created a bottleneck at the village entrance that slowed Gary down for turns 2 and 3.
US Turn 2

By German turn 4 Gary was a bit behind the time curve and had to attack all out. He easily had the troops for the point VC and had broken the gun crew with the panther (who stayed back at 7 hexes to avoid DI).
GT4

The US HT's were completely expendable and died trying to impede rout paths.

GT6 I managed to immobilize a Pz4 with a 60 mortar with the crew bailing. The panther parked adjacent to the trench line. I ran a sherman after it was out of SMOKE into the panther's hex, but it burned it with an in-hex shot and kept rate. The panther than had the 16+5 and two low-odds gun shots to try to clear two trenches. It didn't get the job done, resulting in a narrow US win.

A fun scenario that took us 5 hours, including setup. The recon roll is pretty important/impactful, but it's a big enough scenario that in a tournament that might be fine. Alternatively a TD might reveal the gun for the loss of a HT - YMMV.

Paul

A rules question: US 'units' can set up entrenched. Are dummy stacks 'units'? We played no, but dummies do deny concealment and are banzai targets, so I think maybe yes.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
A rules question: US 'units' can set up entrenched. Are dummy stacks 'units'? We played no, but dummies do deny concealment and are banzai targets, so I think maybe yes.
I believe that dummies are "units". But a stack of dummies can setup only in concealment terrain. So dummies could start in the foxholes if in concealement terrain.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
nice AAR thanks.
4 is the bid I would also suggest, good decision.
But if you have a very good attitude to attack or defend you could also offer 5 or 3, it's very subjective.

The pre-game recon hoping in a DR < 3 is not strictly necessary because most times it's possible guess where the gun hides studying the setup. There are few good locations for the AT and even less after you find the roadblocks or inspect one or two suspected hexes.
I added the (optional) recon SSR for historycal reasons and to give the Germans another choice, not because is necessary. At least this is what playtest said.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Those are some nice looking boards you have there. I like that most of the counters are not mutilated. :) It looks like there is a motion counter on a stack of 1/2 inch counters in the second picture on G1. What was in that hex?

PS NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A german 251/1 HT with a 238/dc as passengers. It was expected to force my 666 in the foxhole in H0 to surrender. Gary planned to break it in advancing fire 20+2. However, the squad didn't cooperate. Sometimes even a 666 can pass a 2MC. The 9-2 directed .50 cal in F3 which burned the HT in US T2 prep. Turn 2 Dfire the 666 pinned on a 30+2 but then ate two CH's from the panther. It even just re-pinned on the first CH, but the 2nd one KIA'd it.

PS NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Enrico,
I like the scenario. Kudos to you. I also like the recon process. It's a fun scenario and perfectly fine for a fun ASL day. It also seems big enough to me that revealing the AT gun or losing the HT/238/7-0 isn't decisive. Still, in JR Tracy's words, if you are 'playing for kidneys' (in a serious tournament game), having a pre-determined outcome for the recon roll (say a red 3 and white 4) might be preferred.

In this scenario I'm not sure the bidding really works, or perhaps is a secondary consideration. I don't see how the US can deny any amount of german points. I think it's crazy for the US to even try to defend both VC areas. Perhaps though the VC restrains the German from an all-out 'banzai' on their last turn, so it does serve a purpose.

Thanks again for a fun scenario.

Paul

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
(...) I don't see how the US can deny any amount of german points. I think it's crazy for the US to even try to defend both VC areas. Perhaps though the VC restrains the German from an all-out 'banzai' on their last turn, so it does serve a purpose.

Thanks again for a fun scenario.

Paul
The key are the losses that the attacker suffers in the process to clear at least two trenches. If the German loses time and/or men he could fail to reach the secondary objective. Put from the point of view of the defender, if the Germans clear and keep clear the trenches till game end, the Americans still have a second chance to win if they interdict the VC areas. Usually only one VC area is easily reachable in time by the Germans, not both, unless the trenches are in the middle of the board at half way from each VC area. This secondary objective is hard or near to impossible to deny only if the Germans get the primary objective very soon suffering light losses, or if the Americans have an high level of casualties defending the trenches.

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice AAR. IIRC, the (over)cutting of the AFV corners was something we did back in the day of the old COI. It was suggested in the COI RB that doing so would help with VCA position while avoiding the annoying overhang of the corners into adjacent hexes. Your pics brought back memories. 🙂

Doug Kirk

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I haven't played any scenarios from this pack yet, but just looking at the card and the unit mix, this scenario jumped out at me as the pick of the litter and will be my first play.

Reactions: ecz

Toby Pilling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I played a final playtest version of this at the Bounding Fire tournament in Blackpool in November against Andy Bagley. He defended as the Americans and split up his trenches across the board, which was interesting as it forced me to attack on a broad front while massing troops for the other VC requirement around the village. I managed to win but it wasn't easy. I too, went all in on the recon die roll and was also lucky enough to reveal the AT gun. It's a fun scenario.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I believe that dummies are "units". But a stack of dummies can setup only in concealment terrain. So dummies could start in the foxholes if in concealement terrain.
Dummies are specifically included as “units” in the rules index.

Doug Kirk

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played this one as the German. My opponent put the trenches at the far end, opposite the village. I lost in a close one. Tough German attack on that end. The 4 range of the German squads really hampers you on that end of the board. Went all in on the recon roll, rolled horrid, lost the halftrack and revealed very little. A fun one for sure, still not sure what the right bid is, or if it matters, as it really came down to the trenches

Reactions: ecz

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Thanks for the feedback. I still do not have an answer neither :)
The hard part is to clear the trenches, but a German losing too time and/or units in the process, could be short of material to achieve the victory requirements especially if the German bid is high. We added a sort of second chance for the Americans if they lose the trenches.