Eckmuhl-Wagram campaign vs AI

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Playing as the French:

Game 1 (Landshut Crossing)

Game 1 was a 28 turn affair which the objective was to block the Isar River crossing at Landshut, ostensibly a delaying action - I managed a major victory by holding off the Austrian forces from gaining anything on the West bank of the Isar.

Near the beginning the Austrians managed to get a skirmisher unit across that was promptly routed and then French forces blocked the bridge again effectively isolating this group. Eventually they were charged and eliminated by a squadron of cavalry ( the only action that the cavalry saw in this tilt) -- in fact at the end of the 28 turns I had lost all of 1 cavalry trooper.

I never needed to use my artillery in anger although I had it deployed inside of Landshut at the end of the bridge setting right on top of a 150 point vp hex - figuring that the Austrians would eventually work their way through the 4 or 5 skirmisher units I had deployed inside the town on the island -- they were working their way up to this second bridge meaning that my skirmishers delayed their opponents very effectively. Where the Austrians lost big was on the Southernmost bridge where they began advancing columns of infantry onto the bridge only to be faces by 2 of my battalions in line ( they did this at night eliminating any way for them to have any arty support)... and these units (which iirc were 2 or 3 inf bns and 1 cav sqn - took heavy losses and were routed in turn).

At the end of the day - no vp areas were lost - my infantry casualties were mostly limited to the skirmisher units -and the Austrian bridge crossing attempts basically ended in disaster.

My option after this game (maybe not so wise) was to leave the III Corps unreinforced and advance the majority of my army on a counter attack to retake Landshut - which results in game 2 being you get to be the III Corps and try to hold on - or retreat... Not played that one as of yet.

trauth116

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Game 2 III Corps around Eckmuhl (20 turns)

Napoleon had concentrated his army twards the South with the ain of driving the majority of it through the Austrian Army's bridgehead at Landshut- leaving the III Corps to fend for itself in the Eckmuhl area. The main defensive feature of the Eckmuhl area is a chateaux.

I did not realize that the majority of my troops entered as reinforcements, and basically kept about 250 troops as skirmishers inside the chateaux (which was also a 250 VP area) ... The rest of the French forces withdrew North and West away from the Eckmuhl area- with the idea that the skirmishers could delay the Austrians enough until the game expired. Now the thing is that this only being 20 turns- if it had been longer I had manuevered my reinforcing divisions so that they had the Austrians in a C shaped vise- and would have ground them apart (I think) with a simultaneous attack that could have wiped out their supply train as well as outflank them -- as it were -time ran out before doing that -and I took the major victory -with the Austrian Army gaining all of 5 VPs due to losses.

The next battle is going to be a 40 turn major affair with the main French Army aligned against (at the moment) - bits of the Austrian Army - the objectives are fairly well spread out - and the main goal is to destroy as many Austrians as possible. The terrain looks very rolling so there could be major elements out of my lines of sight -or they could be coming on later as reinforcements.

trauth116

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Through 5 turns of the above - not much happening -- just maneuvering for my best shot at the north flank, while hopefully demonstrating in the front - to keep the AI's interest ... also trying to move on where I think the South flank is...

A Jump map follows -- this one is way too big for anything but jump maps - unless there is some localized action of interest.

Leftie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great AAR! I am definitely looking forward to reading the rest of this.

trauth116

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
:cry: Unfortunately I gave up on this round as I decided I had no clue what I was doing -so basically this is about practicing writing AARs -- I did manage to get all of the Battleground Nappy games working -so I might well do a Quatre Bras replay soon.

-------------- > It means I was up late one night last weekend - got bored and let the AI do its thing for me - and it muffed up .... but I had no better answers than the AI .