EAW game system questions

FM WarB

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm considering trying an EAW title (probably 1776). How does strategic movement interreact with the tactical battle system? Is it like Napoleonic campaign games? How well is the naval aspect represented?

Jim Cobb

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Siamarly to Nappy,. IIRC, naval movemenr is handled in the strategic phasw.

Reaction score
All strategic aspects are like the Napoleonic Games. Actually, more to the point, at the current time, while the system is exactly the same, only FIW has campaigns that are constructed in the same way as the ones in Eckmuhl or Waterloo.

For example, the main campaign in 1776 bounces you from Bunker Hill to either Germantown or Brandywine as your second battle, with no strategic development between them. (Though, I will say the northern campaign in the expansion set is quite good and more along the line of what would develop later).

All strategic movement is abstracted, and the only naval aspects are the presence of some naval units, which essentially serve as floating gun batteries, and no more.

FM WarB

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had dreams...

Thanks Gary,
I was fantasizing something along the lines of a computerized version of the good ole Avalon Hill 1776. I guess this is not quite it.
Warren

Reaction score
Have you looked at Birth of America? Matrix sells it. I have it on order right now, so I can't say much about it, but if you're looking for something along the line of 1776, it seems to be closer.

Leftie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have Birth of America and it plays quite nicely. I still prefer 1776 for my EAW fix but if you are looking for a Strategic Level wargame with a boardgame feel to it, Birth of America is definitely a great choice. I will however suggest that depending on the days exchange rate, you consider buying it from the developers themselves
at http://www.birth-of-america.com/ .

You can pick up the digital download for 27 euro where as Matrix is selling it for 35 USD. Depending on how strong the US Dollar is, you can save a few bucks buying it from France.

Ben

FM WarB

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wego

I notice that Birth of America uses the WEGO system to depict "simultaneous" movement. This makes PBEM rather tedius as four to six email file exchanges are required per turn.
I tried the WEGO system with Combat Mission games. The improved graphics and simulated "simultaneous movement" did not make up for the tedium of the added email exchange requirements. There were also some P.O. (programmed Opponent or AI) issues.
Do the Birth of America gamesystem's P.O. and graphics outweigh the PBEM tedium?

Jim Cobb

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
An alternative to BoA is For Liberty. As that game is turn-based, PBEM is a snap.

Reaction score
I've just gotten BoA a few days ago, and I'd like to correct one misundertanding in this thread. While it is a WeGo game, there's only one turn file exchange per turn. Since there is no tactical phase, the computer auto-resolves any battles that come up.