Eastern Front 1941-1945. New Scenario

governato

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am posting here and in the download section my new 'Eastern Front 1941-1945' Scenario. Almost a year of work went into it! The goal of this TOAW scenario is to be fun, playable and the same time provide an historical and detailed description at the Army and Corps level of the entire WWII Eastern front campaign, from the opening of 'Barbarossa' to the fall of Berlin. In this top post I will keep updated links to the scenario, the scenario description and the equipment file. In this thread I will add a few short posts including a discussions of the design aspects that went into EF and a brief test AAR. I hope to get some feedback from the TOAW community before I post it in the scenario repositories on the web in a couple of months. All the info necessary to play the game are included in the attached scenario description in pdf format. Comments and suggestions welcome!

The scenario and any updates will be available HERE

The scenario guide in pdf format is HERE

View attachment 38575

These are the priorities that went into designing EF:

- Introduce the political/logistic constraints that shaped the military choices of The Axis and the Soviet Union sides (as the evacuation of the industrial regions and the Lend lease Program). This will make necessary for the Red Army and the Axis to 'fight forward' at certain times during the course of the war, and to plan their offensives based on the constraints of manpower and industrial production.

- Model a strong seasonality, with the rain season effectively stopping offensive operations in late Fall and Spring and the 1941 'Blizzard'.

- Follow a detailed, historical OOB that tracks the changing equipment for the Axis and the structural evolution of the Red Army from 'stumbling colossus' to a 'colossus reborn'. The scenario OOB tracks the number and composition of not only the major units, but also of the very large amount of support units at the battalion, regiment and brigade level that in EF are attached to armies and corps. Many Red Army units will upgrade as they achieve guard status.

- Model replacements separately for each individual nationality, type of squad and equipment. The correct replacement rates are modeled using a large number of units disbands, which allow to model changes in production.

- Add a realistic amount of flexibility in the Order of Battle and the units that each side can produce. Production options will allow the players to shift emphasis between supply and heavy equipment as the campaign progresses and, inevitably, diverges from the historical one.

-Take advantage of the many improvements in TOAW 3.4, including almost 900+ events, variable ZOC costs, the possibility of setting optimal
engineering and construction rates and of using a modified equipment file to model replacement for individual nationalities.

This is a scenario where the focus is on the operational choices and on the issues of logistics and production. Most importantly, I wanted a game that remains playable and realistic beyond the first year of the campaign. To achieve these goals a game at the army/corps level seemed a necessary choice, with individual turns taking 30-60 mins. Going for a 'non-monster' scenario also allowed me to test the game well into the late stages of the campaign. I also wanted a scenario that took advantage of the large amount of historical material that has been published in the past few years both on the web and in books.

Enjoy!

governato

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is also an Eastern Front thread on the Matrix Forum, with a lot more details on the scenario design.

The scenario is also avaiable in the download section. However updates will always be on the top post of this thread.

governato

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The scenario has been updated.

Get the newest version HERE

The PDF is HERE.

Changes in V2.0

- Reduced fortification levels in the Kiev area and near the Luga
river. - ‘Refugees events‘ have been used to simulated a longer Spring
rain season. These events simulate rain patterns moving from the NW in
the SE direction and increase the cost of movement along roads.

- Reduced fortification and supply levels for a few German cites.

- Kiev and Rostov are not Soviet supply points anymore.

-Reduced pestilence effects for the Axis during Blizzard. I have
verified that historical losses were lower during Blizzard than during
the Summer and Fall.

- Soviet partisans are now modeled with ‘Guerilla events’ only. There
are no partisan units. This makes for a more realistic partisan
warfare and avoids some gamey effects.

- Edited the TOE of a few Panzer divisions so that the first entry is
the Heavy Rifle Squads (this makes it easier for those units to
reconstitute).

- The 800mm German guns ‘Gustav’ and ‘Dora’ arrive in Spring 1942,
rather than at the start of the campaign.

- Reduced strength of Axis naval forces in the Black Sea.

- A few early (light red background) Soviet armies return as Corp
sized cadres when destroyed. This is to increase counter density and
to simulate the formation of weak Soviet units from stragglers during
the Summer of 1941.

- Most Soviet Armies scheduled to arrive in the Summer and Fall of
1941 arrive on map already split in three sub-units. When recombined
their proficiency will increase by 25%. This approach has been chosen
to increase counter density during the early stages of the campaign
and to better simulate the improvement of the Red Army. Both players
will likely feel necessary to broke down units to cover long stretches
of the front. Remember that broken down units suffer a 20%
non-permanent decrease of their proficiency (for example: from 80% to
64%). Proficiency goes up by the same amount when a unit recombine.

- Axis Rail Repair units start broken down in three subunits at the
start of the scenario. When in good supply, each broken down unit
has a 80% chance of repairing a damaged rail hex.

- The Axis Pontoon unit can now repair bridges (duh). - The PO
automatic rail repair capability has been substantially increased
for both sides.

- The scenario description has been updated in places to
include the above changes.

- No major upgrade is now planned until TOAW v3.5 comes out.

governato

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Further updates to this scenario (Currently v3.2) are posted on the Matrix Forum. The latest version includes an unofficial patch to the AA bug.

The link to the new version is HERE