eASLRB V2.03 released...

DVexile

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llUnited States
I know some folks don't get update emails from Wargame Vault for whatever reason, so as a heads up version 2.03 of the eASLRB is presently available for download.

Doesn't sound as if there are any major changes, the update notes say:

"Includes updates to Table of Contents as well as other minor fixes."

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hmmm.... didn't get an email. I can't find any info on an updated version of their site.

DVexile

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llUnited States
In theory if you go to the Wargame Vault site, log in and go to your vault it should have all the versions for the eASLRB there for download including today‘s release.

The product page on Wargame Vault doesn’t seem to specifically say what version number is current, but it does show the last update as September 6, 2022.

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah. I see that there is a new 2.03 (as opposed to 2.01), but I don't see any blurbs like the one you quoted on the main page or in my library. I'll probably just DL to my tablet anyway. What's the worst that can happen? o_O

DVexile

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llUnited States
The blurb was in the email I got but is really hidden on the site. In your vault there is a little ? button in the right column and if you click that it brings up a pop up with the notes for every release. Not particularly obvious or intuitive. I would have never found it except I explicitly tried to find where the blurb in the email came from on the site!

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
hmmm, I can't seem to download this new version. I've tried several times, and the Wargames Vault site just says "Preparing Download"...ten minutes later, it is still preparing. Anyone else having trouble?

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
hmmm, I can't seem to download this new version. I've tried several times, and the Wargames Vault site just says "Preparing Download"...ten minutes later, it is still preparing. Anyone else having trouble?
Just tried, similar symptoms

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On my first download attempt, I got that same “preparing to download” message for what seemed about 10 minutes. I gave up and backed and tried again. Got the same message for maybe three or four minutes and then the DL came through. Not sure what the issue is, but all’s well that ends well.

BTW, AFAICT, I did not receive an email that the update was available.

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I left the "download" running overnight, by this morning I had the dialog box which actually allowed me to download the file. Not easy, but it finally worked...

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
It is a heavy file.
It takes a lot of time to download, quite possibly because wargamevault has a rather low upload level.
I use the add to Dropbox option, and it seems to go faster.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I found and reported a bug in (at least) Chapter A. I use the free Adobe Acrobat Reader and found that it treats the eASLRB's hyphenated words that break across lines as if the hyphen is not there.
Ex: go to A13.35, place the cursor at the start of the line. Search for "enemy-occupied" and it will skip the occurrence in A13.35 and find the one in A13.6. To find the one in A13.35, you have to search for "enemyoccupied". Words that are hyphenated at the end of a line, like
bo-
nus
are found correctly, i.e. search for "bonus".

You can copy-and-paste those words elsewhere to see that yes, the hyphen is missing.

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
That's a good catch, Scott.

In word processors, there're several different types of hyphens:
--mandatory hyphens: key in "-" (in MS Word)
--non-breaking hyphens: key in "ctrl+shft+-"
--optional hyphens: key in "ctrl+-"
--en dash: key in "ctrl+shft+\"
--em dash: key in "ctrl+-[on the keypad]"

I wonder if some entry in Acrobat would explicitly search for mandatory hyphens? (I suspect typing a regular hyphen in "enemy-occupied" causes the Acrobat search function to overload the "-" to include some subset of the above hyphen types.)

And it's also possible that, due to the development history of the eASLRB, it doesn't use a consistent type of hyphen everywhere.

Last edited:

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think Scott's observation is unique to Adobe. I use nuance power PDF. "enemyoccupied" found three instances in version 2.3 inherit zoom. As Bill points out, programs treat a "-" at the end of the line as a wordbreak, not a hyphenated word.

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
I guess the solution is to always search for both possibilities--"enemy-occupied" and "enemyoccupied"--when looking for a hyphenated term.