sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Early 1900s mean very early... i.e. "The Banana Wars"
In the towns of Mexico and the jungles of Central America, there were extremely few episodes of "trench Warfare".

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Early 1900s mean very early... i.e. "The Banana Wars"
In the towns of Mexico and the jungles of Central America, there were extremely few episodes of "trench Warfare".
I'll try some, I can only do pbem though.

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Funny,
according to the USMC Historical Department, fighting in a Nicaragua jungle required the same skills and tactics that fighting the Japanese in South Pacific jungles.
I guess that 244 years of combat experience can not stand up against the knowledge of a man who never wore a uniform or fought a battle.
I think that I will trust the Marine Corps.
Enough said

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I wish I could help Steve, but so glad to see you're still active in the community and giving props to the Marines. If you're still looking over the Christmas holidays and I can persuade my newly affluent regular opponent to humble himself with a visit to my table, I will reach out to you.

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Looking forward to see what you come up with a Steve. You keep pumping out excellent situations and we’ll keep playing them.
The Banana Wars was the period of time where the Marines developed many of their tactics and procedures used in WW2.
In fact Marine Artillery was developed during this period.
Air Observation and Recon also came into being then.
The need to change from Rifle Squads and BAR Squads was determined during this time.
The basic use of Naval direct fire to support Marine actions on shore...
The list goes on.

It was interesting to learn that the Marines operated a lot like Cavalry in Centralk America and control of RR was essential in some locations.
It was this period that the Marines when from Company level units to the Combat Regimental system in use today.

There is a lot to learn from the Banana Wars.
Even the US Navy has Bluejacket infantry units and land based artillery then.

Bad Dice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Banana Wars was the period of time where the Marines developed many of their tactics and procedures used in WW2.
In fact Marine Artillery was developed during this period.
Air Observation and Recon also came into being then.
The need to change from Rifle Squads and BAR Squads was determined during this time.
The basic use of Naval direct fire to support Marine actions on shore...
The list goes on.

It was interesting to learn that the Marines operated a lot like Cavalry in Centralk America and control of RR was essential in some locations.
It was this period that the Marines when from Company level units to the Combat Regimental system in use today.

There is a lot to learn from the Banana Wars.
Even the US Navy has Bluejacket infantry units and land based artillery then.
I had the same thought, and at the same time asked myself if the EW ASL USMC guys aren't the same guys in terms of armament and so forth who fought in the Banana Wars. Also had the thought that this might be one of those things ASL would be very good at recreating, and was doing a little preliminary research myself in this wise when I saw your thread.

BD

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
I had the same thought, and at the same time asked myself if the EW ASL USMC guys aren't the same guys in terms of armament and so forth who fought in the Banana Wars. Also had the thought that this might be one of those things ASL would be very good at recreating, and was doing a little preliminary research myself in this wise when I saw your thread.
So you have started work on next series of scenarios for this time period and combat theater?

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Yes several scenarios designed already.
Just needing Playtest.
actually, the 4-5-8 and 5-5-8 MMC represent the rifle and BAR squads of the period, which carried over into the Guadalcanal campaign.

Last edited: