early war German paratroop mmc recombine

Bruce Childs

Reaction score
Hullo-

2 German para HSs recombine, 1 is armed 1 is not. I assume the squd would be unarmed. Is this correct?

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
Bruce Childs said:
2 German para HSs recombine, 1 is armed 1 is not. I assume the squd would be unarmed. Is this correct?
Are they allowed to recombine? A1.32 requires the recombining HS to have the same strength value...

da priest

Reaction score
Chris Milne said:
Bruce Childs said:
Are they allowed to recombine? A1.32 requires the recombining HS to have the same strength value...
Nope --no recombo---

"A1.32 RECOMBINE: Any two Good Order HS of the same nationality with an identical Strength Factor may automatically Recombine as their sole action in that RPh into a squad of the same type and Class at the start of any RPh in which they occupy the same Location and terrain (see 2.8) with a friendly Good Order leader [EXC: Finns, Guards, Carrier HS and unarmed HS do not need leader presence to Recombine]. A Fanatic HS and non-Fanatic HS may Recombine, but the resulting Squad is not Fanatic. The sole activity of that leader during the RPh is to permit the Recombination of any eligible HS in his Location. "

Bruce Childs

Reaction score
Good point, but this would seem rediculous, since these are similar units in all respects except a lack of weapons....sounds like SSR time.

thanks gentlemen

G

It makes sense to me, because without weapons, it would still be HS.

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
Bruce Childs said:
Good point, but this would seem ridiculous, since these are similar units in all respects except a lack of weapons....sounds like SSR time.
I'd say that lack of weapons is pretty damn important! What benefits would you get by recombining them that you don't have by keeping them separate?
Either they form an armed unit (which seems too powerful), an unarmed unit (no one would recombine them), or you go for the third way and give them an armed but lower quality squad (entering dangerous waters).

Does that mean you're designing a scenario with unarmed paratroops running around? Can't see this situation coming up too often ... though as part of a scenario it sounds intriguing.

Anyway, perhaps the rule was instituted in that way to prevent this difficulty arising :)

Bruce Childs

Reaction score
LOL- I wouldn't dream of combining them.....a playtester had this idea of combining these 2 HSs. Now that I've slept on it, the rule seems to have merit. Was thinking of leaving the option open, more for player option than anything else. Agreed, it would seem to give no apparent advantage...actually seems a hinderance.