Ea

bibbo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What is the status for EA as far as "debugging" and play. I am interested in playing PBEM if its ready.

Mark Stevens

Europe Aflame Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
ll
After running the scenario several times, triggering different events and capturing different capitals, I can't reproduce the serious bugs that some players mentioned following the conversion. I've corrected a couple of non-appearing units, made the changes to the Horn area suggested by JAMiAN, given some HQs military police units to aid traffic control, added the Baltic States forces and checked the Events related to their mobilisation and the Soviet option to disband them after France falls.

I'll post this at the sticky, should be perfectly playable, but there are still 400+ extra events that it would be nice to utilise, so this is a bit of a beta.

I honestly believe there aren't any killer bugs, but I've been saying this for several years. Anyone remember the famous 'Axis capture of Grozny ends the game with an Allied victory :shock: '? Those were the days...

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
After running the scenario several times, triggering different events and capturing different capitals, I can't reproduce the serious bugs that some players mentioned following the conversion. I've corrected a couple of non-appearing units, made the changes to the Horn area suggested by JAMiAN, given some HQs military police units to aid traffic control, added the Baltic States forces and checked the Events related to their mobilisation and the Soviet option to disband them after France falls.

I'll post this at the sticky, should be perfectly playable, but there are still 400+ extra events that it would be nice to utilise, so this is a bit of a beta.

I honestly believe there aren't any killer bugs, but I've been saying this for several years. Anyone remember the famous 'Axis capture of Grozny ends the game with an Allied victory :shock: '? Those were the days...
I remeber it now, as I read about it last night. :laugh:

Also, after reading almost every thread on this board the last few night, I realize that there are some very good ideas in there that you can now bring to life that you have the extra 500 events. Of course, none are spring to my mind right now...

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland

Mark:

I started playing this out solitaire (mostly) and today being off work must have spent 3 or 4 hours at it.

This is the original one IIRC incl. in TOAW III.

Now on turn 27 (end of 1939).

Nothing odd really except some Polish units did not disband and are now in low supply on the Soviet side of the line under allied control.

The French are pretty strong and with British support have brought the Blitzkrieg to a halt though the Germans have taken Holland, Belgium and the fortress of Lille.

Good fun sofar though everything on all fronts has come to a halt in mid December due to the winter 'Sitzkrieg' effect.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Nothing odd really except some Polish units did not disband and are now in low supply on the Soviet side of the line under allied control.
Did you destroy all other Polish units, or did all other Pole units withdraw?

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Did you destroy all other Polish units, or did all other Pole units withdraw?

IIRC the remaining Polish units went AWOL after the Germans took Warsaw.

I let the AI handle the odd turn or so as the Allies so the Soviets were none too agressive prior to the fall of Warsaw.

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Here is how it all started...

***NEWS***
July 1st, 1939
The Road to War: political highlights 1933 - 1939...
January 1933: Adolf Hitler becomes Chancellor of Germany

1935-6: Abyssinia invaded and annexed by Fascist Italy
March 1936: Germany reoccupies demilitarised Rhineland
Hitler realises that Anglo-French unwilling to fight

July 1936: Spanish Civil War after right-wing coup fails

Sept. 1938: Czechs forced to cede Sudetenland to Germany

March 1939: rump of Czechoslovakia annexed by Germany

July 1939: Hitler offers Stalin terms for dividing East
Hitler demands concessions from Poles on borders, Danzig
Britain & France unconditionally guarantee Poland.

July 8th, 1939
Red Army occupies Bessarabia and Bukovina
Rumania joins the Axis
Rumania's Antonescu seeks Axis alliance to thwart USSR

July 15th, 1939
Axis successfully defend Danzig (Free City).
Axis successfully defend Danzig (Free City).

July 29th, 1939
Germans enter Poland claiming 'border provocations'
Western public favors war in support of Poland
Axis capture Ocksywie.

August 12th, 1939
USSR annexes the Baltic States to 'Mother Russia'
Axis forces enter Warsaw: Poland now part of Reich
Baltic States occupied: repression and deportations

August 19th, 1939
Poland collapses: Hitler and Stalin stake their claims
Eastern Poland collapses: repression and deportations

September 2nd, 1939
French mobilise, signs of low morale among conscripts
French patrols probe cautiously into Saarland
Maginot Line garrisons brought to full strength
Great Britain and France are now at war with Germany
Belgium mobilises, allows UK & French troops to enter
Winston Churchill appointed First Lord of the Admiralty
Armee De L'Air placed on war footing
Stalin orders Red Army to conquer Finland within weeks
Finland mobilises against the USSR
Allies protest USSR attack, Swedish concern.
Poles vow to fight on alongside UK and France
Allies announce naval blockade on Germany and satellites
Finns refuse Russian ultimatum, appeal for aid

September 9th, 1939
Italy joins the Axis: 'New Roman Empire' promised
Axis forces enter Belgium, Holland & Luxembourg
Belgium and the Netherlands join the Allies
French colonial troops mobilised for battle
Yugoslavia mobilises: only ALLIED if Axis declared war
Greece mobilises: only fully ALLIED if Axis declared war
Fighting breaks out in Africa: Allies reinforce Horn
Mussolini pleads for supplies and equipment from Hitler
German Blitzkrieg paralyses Allied armies (70% shock)
Ill-prepared Italy led into war by Mussolini
Allies determined to defend Belgium
Bulgaria joins the Axis
King Boris mobilises Bulgaria to support Axis
Arnhem has been reduced to ruins.
Allies successfully defend Arnhem.
Liege has been reduced to ruins.
Axis capture Liege.
Allies successfully defend Namur.

September 16th, 1939
Key Polish fortress-city of Brest-Litovsk falls
Axis capture Arnhem.
Namur has been reduced to ruins.
Axis capture Namur.

September 23rd, 1939
Finnish reserves mobilise to meet attack
Allied GHQs recover from initial shock of blitzkrieg
Brussels has been reduced to ruins.
Allies successfully defend Brussels.
Rotterdam has been reduced to ruins.
Allies successfully defend Rotterdam.
Axis capture Brussels.
Allies successfully defend Rotterdam.
Axis capture Rotterdam.

September 30th, 1939
Axis troops and Belgian Rexists occupy Brussels
King Leopold orders Belgian Army to surrender
Greece mobilises: only fully ALLIED if Axis declared war
Amsterdam has been reduced to ruins.
Allies successfully defend Amsterdam.
Axis capture Amsterdam.

October 7th, 1939
Axis forces and Dutch fascists occupy Amsterdam

October 14th, 1939
Dutch Fleet continues fight as Holland collapses
Cambrai has been reduced to ruins.
Axis successfully defend Cambrai.

October 21st, 1939
Lille has been reduced to ruins.
Allies successfully defend Lille.
LUXEMBOURG has been reduced to ruins.
Axis successfully defend LUXEMBOURG.
Axis successfully defend LUXEMBOURG.
Allies capture Cambrai.

October 28th, 1939
Axis capture Namur.

November 4th, 1939

November 11th, 1939
Axis capture Cambrai.
Axis capture Lille.

November 18th, 1939
Axis success in Egypt brings anti-British unrest in Iraq
Axis successfully defend Lille.
Allies capture Cambrai.

November 25th, 1939
Arab uprising organised by pro-Axis Rashid Ali in Iraq
Iraq joins Axis. Local UK units mobilise, Indians arrive
Matrula has been reduced to ruins.
Allies capture Matrula.
Allies capture Namur.
Allies successfully defend Sidi Barrani.
Allies successfully defend Cambrai.
Allies successfully defend Sidi Barrani.
December 2nd, 1939
Axis capture Sidi Barrani.
Axis capture Namur.
December 16th, 1939
Worst European winter for years:'Phoney War'/'Sitzkrieg'
NKVD claim to have stamped out Ukrainian separatists
Indecision grips both sides as harsh winter bites in '39
January 6th, 1940
Limited resistance as Allies insist on Shah's abdication
Unrest in Iraq spreads to Iran: UK sends Indian units

Last edited:

Mark Stevens

Reaction score
Country
ll
If you're planning to continue solitaire the 'Case Yellow' bonus that the Germans get in Spring 1940 should enable the Axis to finish the French, then move against the Balkans, although mobilised Yugoslavia and Greece may now be tougher nuts to crack than they were historically if you redeploy their forces.

Glad to hear that the Poles surrendered. I always think that a few weak corps reconstituting on the Russian side of the exclusion zone (or Belgians and Dutch in France) isn't toooooooo unrealistic.

With the extra events I could, as has been suggested, do a second 'sweep' of surrendered countries' armies to catch those units that were caught in the reconstitution loop, but I've never found it to be a problem. I suppose that if the entire Polish/Belgian/Dutch armies reappeared it would be a bit much.

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
If you're planning to continue solitaire the 'Case Yellow' bonus that the Germans get in Spring 1940 should enable the Axis to finish the French, then move against the Balkans, although mobilised Yugoslavia and Greece may now be tougher nuts to crack than they were historically if you redeploy their forces.

Glad to hear that the Poles surrendered. I always think that a few weak corps reconstituting on the Russian side of the exclusion zone (or Belgians and Dutch in France) isn't toooooooo unrealistic.

With the extra events I could, as has been suggested, do a second 'sweep' of surrendered countries' armies to catch those units that were caught in the reconstitution loop, but I've never found it to be a problem. I suppose that if the entire Polish/Belgian/Dutch armies reappeared it would be a bit much.
Well I intend to keep on going Solitaire cause I'm finding it highly enjoyable!:cool:

Looks like the French don't have much if any replacements coming on tap and as they have just about thrown everything they have into the Frontline their room for manuevre is pretty limited.

Should mention that the Italians took Grenoble and are at the gates of Lyon. So the French have to guard that front to.

The early Italian entry means they are now getting decent reinforcements. Some I have sent to the Grenoble area and others I have sent to Tobruk.

Rommel + three panzer divisions + air units are now deployed around Bir Hakiem awaiting orders.

I kind of imposed an Armistice on Yugoslavia with Slovenia becoming a Reich Protectorate and the YA pulling back behind the Save. Also made them evacuate Banat region north of Belgrade. You can get away with this playing Solitaire...

The British in NA are much stronger than historically at this time but then so is the Axis.

This is WWII on Speed!

Agree about the Poles - some did throw in their lot with the Soviets eventually.

also there is now a Polish unit fighting alongside the Allies in France.

Mark Stevens

Reaction score
Country
ll
That last one's deliberate: a division of the French army was formed from Polish exiles in Spring 1940 and took part in the Fall of France. One of the infrequent historically accurate things in the scenario.

Mark Stevens

Reaction score
Country
ll
Re the lack of French reinforcements, the country was more-or-less fully mobilised on the outbreak of war, so there wasn't much extra, although nine militia divisions will be scraped up as the Germans approach Paris.

About two months after the Germans launch Case Yellow the French (if they're still around) get some weak anti-tank, artillery, motorised and armoured units which represent their attempting to reorganise to counter blitzkreig. If France can hold on, they will fill up with supplies to become quite useful.

If France doesn't fall, which is probably only relevant in an Eastern Crusade game, much larger French motorised and armoured units will be formed over the course of the war.

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Re the lack of French reinforcements, the country was more-or-less fully mobilised on the outbreak of war, so there wasn't much extra, although nine militia divisions will be scraped up as the Germans approach Paris.

About two months after the Germans launch Case Yellow the French (if they're still around) get some weak anti-tank, artillery, motorised and armoured units which represent their attempting to reorganise to counter blitzkreig. If France can hold on, they will fill up with supplies to become quite useful.

If France doesn't fall, which is probably only relevant in an Eastern Crusade game, much larger French motorised and armoured units will be formed over the course of the war.
Well I have reached the end of March and the French are about to crack. Pulled back the Panzer and motorised corps over the Winter to resupply and then piledrived them into the French lines north and south of Sedan. Its paying off but the cost has been high.

Also the TO for Case Yellow has now become available so I took that straight away.