EA-ICS-AL1: Europe Aflame Interactive Combat Story: Allied Episode I

Larkin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are there any more topics for discussion? There is an aful lot of chatter on the Axis network, and I'm getting worried that they might catch us with our pants down.

Reaction score
I'm waiting for some sort of status report on where we stand in preparations and activities. We need some sort of intelligence on what Gerry is doing, as well as on Uncle Joe. otehrwise, we would be working blind.

I wonder if we could get a glimpse of the Ops map, to see where the lines are drawn?

Europe Aflame

Interactive Combat Story
Reaction score
Country
ll
From Supreme Commander, Allied Forces

Sirs, good day.

I'd like to begin this briefing with a moment of silence for our fallen brothers, the Poles...

The Polish fought gallantly, gentlemen, make no mistake. They were simply unable to mount an effective resistance against the new 'Blitzkrieg' tactics the Germans have so effectively demonstrated. Our best minds are analyzing what details we do have, and I will keep you informed of any further developments.

Now, on to more recent matters.

I have good news on all fronts, gentlemen.

Beginning in the East, although the Russians are known to have a pact with the Germans, they are clearly constructing a defensive line behind the super-river Dneister that can only have one purpose; defensive preparations for a potential German incursion.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend; perhaps the day will come when the Russians will be more willing to listen to our diplomats...

Now gentlemen, if you'll allow me to shift focus to our own situation, I'd like to begin by stating that we have made a diplomatic breakthrough with the United States of America. 'Lend Lease' aid has been received from the US. Tanks, planes and ships are bolstering our current reserves of equipment.

Two armor divisions have been formed, one in the United Kingdom, and the other in Egypt. In addition, the British have taken possession of fifty WWI-era destroyers. While not state-of-the-art, this will allow us to better contain the u-boat threat, and will result in an increased level of supplies and resources reaching the UK proper. Additional air units have also been deployed from the American equipment.

The Americans have promised to deliver a certain level of equipment to us on a continual basis. There is an upside and and downside to this arrangement, I'm afraid, gentlemen.

It is not just the fall of Warsaw alone that has caused such a reversal in American opinion. The Americans have been shown proof that the Germans have been industrializing for a war footing, far earlier than was previously believed. We have underestimated the military might of the Germans.

In addition, August 19th, 1939 saw the beginning of the German invasion of both Norway and Denmark. These events, taken together, were enough to get the American administration to release the aid to us. However, by so doing, they seem to have the attitude now more than ever that this war is a 'European Matter'.

I fear that there will be much more blood shed before we see further changes in American policy. But the aid is what matters now, and we are lucky to get it.

Now, I'd like to thank you for your patience in allowing me to come to this final matter in due time, as I'm sure you've all received partial intelligence on what the Germans term 'Operation Weseruebung', the invasion of Norway.

On the morning of August 19th, two divisions of elite German paratroops dropped a little over 50 km northeast and northwest of Oslo, cutting off most movement into the capital. Simultaneously, two German infantry korps with various supporting elements invaded Denmark, which was unable to offer more than a token resistance.

However, swift action offered some possibilities for the bold.

Accounts received by radio from Denmark informed us the Kriegsmarine was operating as a part of this operation. As you know, genltemen, if the Germans control both Denmark and Norway, they will in effect be creating an 'Axis Lake', as the Baltic would be all but impossible to enter with Allied shipping.

The French navy had just regrouped with elements recently redeployed from the Med, and were on maneuvers at the time the news was received. They were quickly diverted towards the Baltic, with the hopes of being able to intercept the Kriegsmarine, or failing that, to provide what support they were able to action in Norway and Denmark.

Updated information placed the German navy in the seas just south of Copenhagen, and remote airfields in Denmark started receiving the British contribution to this operation, several hundred aircraft - mostly Swordfish low altitude bombers. Two British carriers, including the Ark Royal, provided support, while a mixed force of French and British aircraft provided what land based fighter support we were able to field in time for the operation.

Preparation for rapid deployment missions such as this one have had top priority with our planning and training departments, as per your orders, Gentlemen; and I can say with certainty that what followed was made possibile by this foresight.

The French made first contact with the enemy as they approached Copenhagen. We must have taken them by surprise, gentlemen, as we caught an SS security division in landing craft steaming for shore. There were very few survivors. Aerial recon showed the Kriegsmarine making top speed for the area, and the French made ready to intercept.

Timing was near perfect, as the fleets had barely established visual contact when the Swordfish appeared overhead.

Gentlemen, the Kreigsmarine has been dealt a serious blow! Many German ships were sunk, including several heavies. Others were barely able to limp away from the engagement, but in the face of overwhelming Luftwaffe air superiority, we were unable to pursue to finish them off.

While not utterly destroyed, it is certain that the time the Germans will require to refit the ships will seriously weaken an Axis surface fleet threat to Allied navies in the North Sea.

Swordfish losses were moderate, with 46 aircraft lost, and many more disabled. Our naval forces took virtually no losses, excepting the gallant Norwegian fleet which faced the full brunt of the Kriegsmarine as it tried to retreat. Of her four destroyers, three were sunk, while one of her two light cruisers were able to limp away from the engagement.

In Norway itself, Oslo is isolated and unlikely to hold. The Norwegians are digging in and preparing to defend the city. Our efforts are better directed here, in the north.

A British infantry corps has been shipped to Narvik, and is fortifying the port. Shipments of Swedeish ore to the Germans have been stopped completely, and the Axis will soon feel it's lack. A division of French marines have also been deployed to the area, securing other smaller ports in the vicinity.

A second French infantry division has bolstered the garrison at Bergen, a key Norwegian port along the likely shipping lanes the Germans will have to cross to threaten Narvik by sea. All Norwegian units cutoff from Oslo have been reforming as they head north towards the various ports in Allied hands.

Denmark is finished, gentlemen, but we managed far more here than we could have hoped for.

The situation is equally dire for the Norwegians, as Oslo is unlikely to resist the Axis attack; but elements of the Norwegian army have rallied upon learning of our presence, and it is felt that most of them will continue to fight the Germans so long as we can hold Narvik.

Additional forces are being readied. We have not exhausted our supply of reserves for missions of this nature, but our forces are spread all too thin, being wholly unprepared for war at this time. Additional units are being raised, but it will take time. The British have two motorized corps being formed and outfitted, but unfortunately, we're looking at late spring or early summer before we can expect to be able to use them in the field.

Gentlemen, this concludes my report. More information will be prepared for future briefings as it becomes available.

Last edited:

Europe Aflame

Interactive Combat Story
Reaction score
Country
ll
From the German Propaganda Ministry

POLAND FALLS!

In a stunning and decisive victory that has been seen by all the world, Poland has today surrendered, crushed by the invincible might of the German Wermacht.

Poland is now a part of the mighty Third Reich - the Empire that will last a thousand years!

Today, we send this message to all who would oppose us - make peace now while you still can, and avoid the futility of further bloodshed.

Victorious German troops march through the streets of Warsaw to celebrate our glorious victory over the belligerent Poles!

Our beaming Fuhrer tours Poland to inspect the latest addition to the Reich.

God is with us!

Last edited:

Larkin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gah! We need to deploy the tank division from England to the ainland. We need to use at least a regiment of tanks! They will provide valuble moral support to the French. We must stand together!

Europe Aflame

Interactive Combat Story
Reaction score
Country
ll
From the pages of Signal.

Oslo falls!

Copenhagen in German hands!

England's Plans Frustrated!!

VICTORY ON ALL FRONTS!!

(click on the thumbnails below for larger pictures)

This was the course of our lightning expedition to Norway and Denmark which was too quick for the British invasion.

Long before the invasion English freighters had been bringing war material to Norwegian harbours. After that, England proceeded to lay mines in Norwegian territorial waters. English troopships accompanied by units of the Royal Navy were observed on their way to Norway. Then there was the sudden roar of German fighter machines over Norwegian aerodromes and German warships appeared suddenly in the entrances of the harbour of Oslo, followed by troopships. The most important points were occupied like lightning by German troops. At the same time, German forces also took over the defence of Denmark against any invasion by the English. The map shows the progress already made in occupying the area immediately after.

A familiar sight these days in Oslo: German Infantry is landed.

Large German troop-ships arrive in the Norwegian harbours in a ceaseless stream. Soldiers, arms and ammunition pour forth from the ships. From the first moment German troops land on Norwegian soil; they are on guard against England as far as the Arctic Circle.

German flying units arrive.

Units of the German air force appeared at dawn over Norwegian territory; they came to reconnoitre, and to transport material, and to employ force in the event of resistance.

Continued...

Europe Aflame

Interactive Combat Story
Reaction score
Country
ll
From the pages of Signal.

Tanks thundering forward.

On the road from Oslo to Sonefoss they light on battlements and trenches, and meet with resistance...

A German Tank halts at the entrance to a village.

Its advance covered by a Tank an Infantry detachment proceeds toward the village. There has been some shooting. Houses are burning having been set on fire by Norwegian troops. Every nerve is strained. Have enemy forces established themselves here for defence? The detachment halts and gets well under cover...

Right through a hell of smoke, heat and snow...

The German soldiers take this nest of resistance by assault at the point of the bayonet. The enemy is taken prisoner and disarmed.

High above the reefs and fjords.

A German sentry stands before a Norwegian coastal fort.

German anti-aircraft guns guard the air regions over Norway

In Norway's fjords, on rocky coast and islands.

Everywhere German soldiers are on guard, all coast batteries, even beyond the Northern Polar Circle, are fully manned and ready for the enemy.

REJOICE!!

Last edited:

17poundr

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
What is our Navy up to??? Shurely Winston has sent them over in force, they can give valuable shore fire to make the advance of the rotters more heated!
Just lets brace for the worst, if germany gets u-boat and aeroplane bases in Norway, we must consentrate more into coastal patrols. Both naval and aerial.
I fear the Atlantic is becoming a tricky wicket from now on...
Plane and destroyer building must be speeded up!
And we need aircraft carriers!
This is very bad news for the Navy!
Are our troops resisting?
How do the Americans stand on this???

Larkin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's it, if parliment is going to keep our tanks at home, then I'm going to join the Marines and become a commando. I want to start striking back!

17poundr

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Larkin said:
That's it, if parliment is going to keep our tanks at home, then I'm going to join the Marines and become a commando. I want to start striking back!
A word of advice my friend, I saw a raw plan on Mountbattens table about taking a port town on the enemy coast.

I warn you, stay out of such things, mountbatten isnt a wartime commander!

Go for Lovats men! He has a much more realistic approach!

I am thinking of joining bomber command...
We must go over to night attacs though, the blenheims are being cut down like wheat on their daytime raids!!!
Or this idea of a nighfighter special force called 'Intruders' Saw it on Porta'ls table, seemed interesting.
the air war will be more and more nocturnal, wait and see old chap...
I hope those damn spitfires would come off the factories faster!
What if Jerry was to mount a three hundred bomber raid on east anglia??? what would we do???
Damn cutbacks, winston was right in 35 and they laughed at him!!!

I say get rid of mr 'peace in our time' his candle has burned out.
Saw him the other day, poor man, he looked so spent, not like Winston who is bristing with vigour and spirit!
He is our man...
Take care now...
May god protect us, did you hear those fools in parliament? You would think they were talking about a cricket game, fools... They didnt see what happened in Poland, the BEF wont stand a chanche to that kind of speed... not a chanche...