EA Heldenkaiser (Allies) vs. Telumar (Axis)

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Axis Turn 151 / 17th May 1942

It's very bad. My lines are turned in the Caucasus, for good, and the Axis penetration in the Ukraine is expanding so quickly and brutally I feel completely helpless. All my units, armored, mech, or infantry, used-up or fresh, raw or veteran, are simply pushed aside. I haven't managed to defend a single field successfully during the Axis turn and was only saved, as Stefan didn't fail to point out, by an early turn end. He also suggested I should take consolation from the fact that there hasn't been any LARGE pocket so far. I suppose it depends on one's definition of large.
I am not yet sure what to do. The Caucasus seems lost, the Ukraine just a matter of time.
View attachment 35196View attachment 35197

L`zard

Strangely Deranged!
Reaction score
Re: Axis Turn 151 / 17th May 1942

Dierk, could you send me a .sal please! Pretty sure you have a REAL problem, but I'd like to look at the details, eh?

(lzard at comcast dot net)

Stiff upper lip, old son!

:upset::nuts::OHNO:

ogar

Reaction score

I'll let the L'zard and the other experts chime in with specifics. But if you want to hear from a complete dunce at EA --
1) I'd take some heart from that ETE -- usually with a good proficiency force, that's because of morale check failure, and that's usually the air force. I'd guess Telumar has been working the air units very hard, and hence your remarks about butter,knives, etc. Which also means this is the best he can do -- I know that is no comfort for you, but this is his best shot. And he's got what ? almost a few hexes from Izyum ? He's broken through the Causcaus hills and threatens - what, exactly ?

Easy for me to bluff and blowhard, but look at the map/setting from Telu's side -- he's got a looooong way to go, and his forces are degrading. Okay, at 45% levels, most of his units are a wee bit better than yours, but they're burning eqp and supplies he cannot replace.

Speaking of which -- can you blow bridges, destroy RR hexes, set in the roadblocks @IL to hold him for a few rounds in the critical points ? In the Ukraine, he's only got that bulge going. He either has to a) reinforce those forces and sweep them to corral a huge chunk of yours, or b) wait for you to open the gates.
Sorry to sing the same old song but it is 1942 - probably the best you can do is chew him up with lots of speed-bumps, hoping to trade losses with him.

I hope you read about the AAA problem in 3.4 -- the Matrix board has a thread where Bob admits that any unit with AAA equipment but without the AAA icon does not participate in anti-air. AAA units do okay and of course figther units. So if you can spare AAA units to critical chokepoints, I'd sacrifice them there. As for Soviet fighters, well, er, um... One trick I use with weak fighter units is to set them at ML; they will not hang in for long, but they show up for most air battles. And when they do go into re-org, and bounce back out in the middle of the next turn, they are at ML, so they may actually not return right to re-org. May or may not help you here.

2) Yeah , that was a looong #1.
I would worry about Telumar's strategy. What are his goals with this effort ? Why his focus in the Ukraine and south Caucasus ? What's going in the other areas - central USSR, Leningrad, far north ? What's going on around the edges of the map ? Telu is a honor graduate of the Willie Keeler School of TOAW -- no link, sorry; you'll have google Willie - it's safe for work. He does work at keeping opponents off balance and out of synch.
With the focus on south USSR as it should be, I wonder about that bomber force of yours... and how's his navy ? If AAA is fluky, this may be the time to check out heavy bombers against pocket battleships.

3) Enough with my wild-eyed ideas. Have you ever read that FitE AAR Telu and Pio are doing over at SI ? From what I can gather, each of them are playing rope-a-dope with various sectors -- Kamyshin and Saratov. I'm going by the pictures, if you had the time you could actually read the last few pages of each. Might give you some ideas for later.

If you can, keep this up. You've lasted longer than many, many players and while things look bad (and are probably worse than they look), I encourage you to keep at this as long it's sort of fun.

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany

And he's got what ? almost a few hexes from Izyum ? He's broken through the Causcaus hills and threatens - what, exactly ?
It's not exactly real estate that I'm worrying about. It's the breaching of both of my last natural defensive lines--the Dneipr and the Caucasus. There is nothing behind those lines where I could even slow him down again--just a vast expanse of open steppe with simply not enough troops to stop a mobile enemy without the help of defensive terrain or fortifications. Not to mention that I have no mobile reserves and everything I move will have to withdraw from the front line with a good chance of ending up "engaged", routed, or evaporated, giving my low and his high recon.

From here on it will be desert warfare with the other guys having all the tanks.

Have you ever read that FitE AAR Telu and Pio are doing over at SI ?
I checked in regularly for a while. Very cool. But FITE is a long way from EA, isn't it?

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Allied Turn 151 / 17th May 1942

Well, I think I managed yet again to plug a few holes here and there, but it won't last, needless to say. The Caucasus is actually worse, because I can't contain the penetration--damn those mountain troops--and the armies on the Black Sea plains are in danger of being cut off, yet I don't dare retreat them unless I absolutely must--fortifications and low recon. A counterattack against the Axis penetration fails with heavy losses (42%!). The second line in the Ukraine (is this still Ukraine?) is building, but too slowly. The penetration is contained, for the moment. I am withdrawing all second-line (literally, not figuratively) units units from further north and scratching together all rear area garrisons for the new line, but it's too little too late I fear.
View attachment 35220View attachment 35221

ogar

Reaction score
Re: Allied Turn 151 / 17th May 1942

Well, I'm looking for some silver lining here .... You're making him burn up a lot of supply ?
That said, it looks like you did a great job extricating out of the line. Myself, I would not risk an HQ in shifting it in to help un-stick a unit -- HQ's are too valuable to you. Have you tried that 'trick' of sub-dividing the unit, setting all to ML, then backing 1 or 2 sub-units out to build a 2nd line, then re-setting the orphan at IL ? Yeah, you do lose some def. strength, but I'm not sure that matters now.

That 7-9 down near Batum looks tempting but you got to get those guys outa Dodge, and across the mountains. Good job at pulling back and trying to hold him.

And yes, there oughta be a law, or at least a house rule, against using mountain troops in the mountains.

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Re: Allied Turn 151 / 17th May 1942

Myself, I would not risk an HQ in shifting it in to help un-stick a unit -- HQ's are too valuable to you.
Actually I have so many HQs I could plaster the map with them. But no, I didn't use one in the frontline on purpose. They usually end up in the frontline when the second line becomes the front line ... and when they have been attacked and end up "retreated" I cannot withdraw them. So that's how.

And yes, there oughta be a law, or at least a house rule, against using mountain troops in the mountains.
:D
Maybe not that, but one against one guy having plenty of them and the other none. Especially if the other is the guy who owns the bleeding mountains.

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Axis Turn 152 / 24th May 1942

After a solid month, finally a turn from Stefan ... not quite such a nightmare as the previous ones. At Kharkov, Stefan says, "resistance seems to be stiffening". About time too. Only it's probably not my resistance that's causing his attack to run out of steam, but the fact that he's past the culmination point. Nevertheless, there is a fresh breakthrough at the southern shoulder of the penetration, and a pocket created and eliminated in the same turn. I lost two heavy infantry corps and an artillery corps there.

The Caucasus is worse. Those bloody mountain troops are pouring through the gap and racing along the mountain range as if it were an autobahn. Seems a bit off to me. And I am about to lose the entire army group on the Black Sea coast wrong side of the mountains. Given the relative strength of his corps and mine, a counterattack is pointless. Frustrating.
View attachment 35473View attachment 35472

Well, so much for the moment. I'll be back in a couple of days with my response.

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Allied Turn 152 / 24th May 1942

OK, the Kharkov front is not really bad this turn. Comparatively easy to contain the new penetration for the moment; and the old bulge needs very little work except withdrawing weak units and some general rearranging. Behind that, the new second line is still building, slowly.
View attachment 35528
The Caucausus is also still manageable, sort of. I hope the map says it all; basically keeping those bloody mountain troops where they belong, i.e. in the mountains, and keeping their stronger brothers from using the same highway into my rear, but in the end it will come down to a new line along the northern foothills. Of course that will mean giving up the Batum plain entirely. In preparation for this I have this turn reinforced the troops down there with some mobile units from the Maikop front to ease their withdrawal. Also XIV Mech has relieved the infantry corps holding the left flank of the front here; it worked almost, meaning the units changed places successfully, but on the last leg the infantry corps ended up "retreated". Still, better than "engaged" in place and cut off next turn.
View attachment 35527
Elsewhere, bridge bombing as usual. The Spanish partisans have disappeared: for the moment only, I hope.

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Axis Turn 153 / 31st May 1942

Stefan says, "forget what I said about resistance stiffening at Kharkov". He's right. I might just as well not have an army at all, for all the difference it makes. In a single turn, the hyper-Germans push my disintegrating frontline all the way to Kharkov. Also in the Caucasus those perversely mobile mountain troops practically cut off my troops on the Batum plain.
View attachment 35593View attachment 35592

medck

Reaction score
Re: Axis Turn 153 / 31st May 1942

Time to pull back the defenders of Dnepropetrov and firm up your lines again? You've got the basis for a southern line to retreat back to. At least there's another river there.

Do you have enough space to slip out the Mt Elbrus Pocket force in the Batum plain or are they stuck?

L`zard

Strangely Deranged!
Reaction score

Looks like you need to fall back earlier, Dierk! Those must be some awful troopies..........

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany

Looks like you need to fall back earlier, Dierk! Those must be some awful troopies..........
"Falling back" is rather a euphemism for "trying to break contact with troops that have near zero recon or mobility". It tends to turn into a rout. Besides, on the open steppe with no defensible terrain it's hard to give up entrenchments. I stick to fortified lines as long as I can. Strategic withdrawals are for high-quality, mobile, high-recon troops.

Of course, when I have to, I have to. Which is this turn.

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany

Time to pull back the defenders of Dnepropetrov and firm up your lines again? You've got the basis for a southern line to retreat back to. At least there's another river there.
Not a super river, unfortunately. It won't hold them for long. But yes, I am going.

Do you have enough space to slip out the Mt Elbrus Pocket force in the Batum plain or are they stuck?
I think I can make it with most of the units intact. Those mountain troops are nearly exhausted. Stay tuned ...

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Allied Turn 153 / 31st May 1942

Again I hope the maps tell the story. What can I do but try and contain the new penetration W of Kharkov, frantically dig to fortify the new line which has already become the front line in the centre, and begin collapsing the Batum pocket while trying to keep its neck open. Strategic bombing against the Rhine and Danube bridges practically severes Western from Eastern Europe.
View attachment 35633View attachment 35632

Secadegas

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
Re: Axis Turn 154 / 7th June 1942

Helpless ... pointless ... hopeless ...
El Alamein was on October 1942 and Stalingrad was only on December 42 / February 43.

You're still at July 42... well before the "end of the beginning"

Have faith and dig-in your units... Axis is doomed...

medck

Reaction score
Re: Axis Turn 154 / 7th June 1942

the US will enter soon enough. He's going nowhere in the Baltic and as long as you can keep extracting most of your units, the Red Army will be there to fight another day. He has about 20 turns left before the shock values shift. Then he can break his units against your lines while you build up for a counterattack.