EA Briefing / Victory Definition

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I am about to embark on my first-ever game of EA. A lot of things make me wonder ... but most of all this here from the briefing:

"What should constitute an Axis 'victory': clinging onto Berlin for one month later than historically; control of Western and Central Europe by 1945; or only the final surrender of both Great Britain and the USSR? Players are strongly recommended to mutually agree their own criteria before starting to play."

I have no idea! What do players usually choose here? Or do you simply go with the VP scale?

Thanks! :)

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Personally, in my games I prefer to go with German victory being holding onto Berlin past the historical end date, and Allied victory being capturing it and Rome past that historical end date.

I want to restructure the VPs so that an Axis victory will occur when the Germans mange to hold onto all of Germany, and a draw being them holding onto about half of Germany.

B-snafu

Reaction score
I have no idea! What do players usually choose here? Or do you simply go with the VP scale?

Thanks! :)

One thing about it is unless you got two guys with exceptional turn rates--It might be awhile before you really have to concern yourself with the end in 45'

I'm curious as to how many players get to 45'--the few games I have had ended in late 41' & early 42' due to the complete collapse of the russians though hoping my current game will see past 42' even if the Soviets bow out.

A good thing I found useful is to print out the breifing as it is easier to refer to as one goes along (helps make sure one doesn't violate any of the house rule & reminds you when the "mud" is going to hit, when your getting close to certain shock periods ending, & etc ---to help with devising strategy.

Any possibility you are going to do an AAR? Always like to see anything 'bout EA.

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Any possibility you are going to do an AAR?
If I like it as well as West Front 1944, then I will. However, since it appears Stefan is going to play the Germans, I suppose his side will be more interesting, especially at the start. :)

B-snafu

Reaction score
...... However, since it appears Stefan is going to play the Germans, I suppose his side will be more interesting, especially at the start. :)

Yah--If your facing a good Axis player--it might be a little frustating to watch helplessly as the Germans steamroll over Poland, then France, & then Russia in the beginning with not much to really counteract with due to shock conditions & such. And if he waits on bringing the Italians into it--(thus no opourtunities for any North Africa battles in 41' to counteract the beating you should take on the East) --it might be a little more of the wait game. But if you guys have a good turn re-turn rate it could get interesting early on.

One point of advice for allies---if you opt for the Finnish Winter War as the Soviets---Be sure to go full blown & take them out. From my experiences as an Axis player--if even a semi-fortified rump of Finland is left--that becomes a great place to aid the Axis in AG north & with a strong thrust coming from that area with Finnish & northern German forces--Leningrad can Fall early & make it a tougher row to hoe as the Soviets.

Mark Stevens

Europe Aflame Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
ll
I think that you and Stefan should decide what you'll consider a victory, or draw, or whatever in advance of starting. If you decide that it has to be - say - Axis control of London and or Moscow, then you're committing yourselves from the start to an all-out Axis attack at all costs: the Germans and their satellites may as well go for broke, because if it's not succeeded by about mid-1942, when it's likely that the big Soviet and USA reinforcements are starting to come on line, then the Axis (by your definition) has already lost and you may as well stop.

If you want to encourage yourselves to go the distance, maybe the Axis simply doing marginally better than historically might be a better choice: still doesn't preclude the Axis player from trying for an all out win - you'll know it when you see it - but it would at least make a slightly longer term strategy viable.

In an ideal scenario, I'd like to see the victory conditions changing according to the dynamics of the game. You could argue that historically the Axis was still looking for an all-out victory in the summer of '41, with the collapse of the USSR being followed by a return to the West and a massive Sealion to finish the UK, whereas by 1943 hanging on to western Europe, Poland and the Baltic States might have seemed like a win. Or, by mid '45, simply holding Berlin: you get my gist.

In any event, be interested to hear what you think of it.

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Thank you for your valuable advise, gentlemen. :)

It turns out Stefan and I have already decided to allow both: an Axis victory will be constituted either by the surrender of both the UK and the SU, or by a survival of substantial German-held territory by scenario end. This latter alternative is admittedly a bit vaguely defined (it doesn't have to be all of continental Europe and it can't be just fives hexes in the Austrian Alps, it's somewhere in between ...), but I believe it's not going to be a problem, because basically we feel we'll be able to agree on what the outcome means. :shy: