EA 3.4d for CoW AAR

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
also, sry,

do not always wait for 100% to attack or perform actions. Moving, diggin in, bombardments all affect your supply levels. You'll find 1% will be a very common number among your units, especially if you cross into the USSR, but most units are fine at 1% (not ideal of course) because they are moving and performing actions and fighting etc...since when do you carry 100% of your supply into asaults...supply always has to catch up..or at least you hope it's that way or else you've now become a defender...which can be hazardous.

bdr

medck

Reaction score
also, sry,

do not always wait for 100% to attack or perform actions. Moving, diggin in, bombardments all affect your supply levels. You'll find 1% will be a very common number among your units, especially if you cross into the USSR, but most units are fine at 1% (not ideal of course) because they are moving and performing actions and fighting etc...since when do you carry 100% of your supply into asaults...supply always has to catch up..or at least you hope it's that way or else you've now become a defender...which can be hazardous.

bdr

Yes, I know that -- it just seems that in many AARs, the Germans (and Allies later in the war)are able to simultaneously launch offensives when IRL they had to prioritise where their supplies would go. I was wondering if a lower supply radius but more supply units might enable players to make those same tough decisions.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yes, I know that -- it just seems that in many AARs, the Germans (and Allies later in the war)are able to simultaneously launch offensives when IRL they had to prioritise where their supplies would go. I was wondering if a lower supply radius but more supply units might enable players to make those same tough decisions.
Good question.

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
well,

I guess you could refer to reinforcements and new equipment arriving, not necessarily units. If you concentrate your attacks and focus only on certain fronts at once, then all your reinforcements will arrive to the units that are currently in battle. If you are in action across many fronts, naturally the supplies, forces are distributed on a wider scale. Thus, your forces become weaker and weaker unless there is a long time to recuperate. Which is why it's always advisable to avoid a 2 front war which eventually doomed any forces entering into Russia.
I guess if direct control over distribution could be possible, things might be different.

I guess...possibly...

bdr.

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Tobruk

Turns 67 .. 79
The Battle of Tobruk and Bardia

During the Final stages of the 'Battle of Bardia' and the 'Battle of Tobruk', the German Afrika Korps took heavy losses. The Allied Generals wanted to engage them fully and deplete the German forces enough to push them back to Tripoli or at least disband and force to ship back to Africa. The latter was accomplished as well as capturing more Axis territory to the west of Tobruk. Events taking place elsewhere diverted attention for both of us away from pursuing this front. All forces are presently resting and rebuilding.
The main units which were decorated during these Battles were the 'Army of the Nile', King's African Rifles, Anzacs, 8th UK Division, Commando units as well as engineer units. The RAF played a major part in the overall success and their worth is becoming aparently, desperately needed badly. Dividing their sorties between these main battles as well as supporting units in Turkey and attacking units on Cyprus. German forces as well as Axis country forces have invaded Turkey and have set their sights on the Russian oil fields. Turkish forces have held them up for 2 months so far but they are making headway and are encroaching on Ankara and should be there in 2 more months or so. Russia is taking heavy offense to this attack in their back door and have mobilized it's entire force to deal with a possible invasion into Russia. Sweden, Finland have been reinforced and Norway is looking to be ripe for the picking if the opportunity ever exists. A very large contingent of Italian forces has moved up from Tunis and is attempting to take Algiers. With heavy UK units consisting of 1.5 Corps of Armour, 2 full corps of Infantry and support units defending the passes it will be a tough go for the italians. US forces have arrived and have taken up positions in Casablanca, Oran and just to the East of Algiers, an overall picture of the Mediterannean looks pretty good for the Allies. Gibraltar is defended by a large force with naval support, Malta is well defended with naval support and the rest of the UK navy is patroling the supply routes. S.A.C. in London have ordered the persistent bombing of French and German bridges and supply routes and with the US bombers joing in, their success is growing into a steady stream. An assault was launched, involving a commando brigade, a reg. from Cyprus, some infantry, and Engineer unit and an armour unit with naval and air support into Syracuse. It failed miserably! The Canadian Dieppe in the Med.! The initial assault was to go as planned. Commandos, Cyprus reg. assault with the engineers. Once they succeeded in taking out the Italain Defences, the remaing units would land and proceed to Palermo or remain and secure the landing grounds. But, the beginning phase failed and the turn ended with all 5 units still at sea with the UK navy sitting out in the open. A nasty surprise awaits my next turn I am sure.

Failed Landing at Syracuse..... Sorry Lads!

Bdr.

Last edited:

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Turkey....1940

Turkey:

The Axis nations began their attack on Turkey attempting to seize the Bosporous and Dardenelles Straits. With this they would also secure Istanbul and a western approach to Izyum and the southern axis forces which later landed from Rhodes. An entire Turkish corps was lost in the initial stages of the battle. They were cut off then destroyed north of Istanbul. The remaining Turkish forces in the area secured their lines and approaches from the north. Landings were not expected due to the axis lack of transports in the black sea. The British and UK units were all fairly tied up in North Africa and were unable to aid any respect except for air cover from Alexandria and Port Said. Istanbul fell but the Dardenelles held for a while longer. The Turkish forces have defended the north well but have lost ground in the south. Axis forces are growing despite my supply route cutting every turn. He has yet to secure any ports in the south and I would like to maintain this for as long as possible. Turkish forces are arriving to assist in the defence through conscription and national drafts but they may arrive too late. With the US involved in the conflict as well now, they may lend an expeditionary force when the opportunity arises. Soviet forces and politicians have reacted accordingly with assault in it's back door. With the Axis nations involved in conflicts stretching from Algiers to Turkey, their forces may be stretched a little thin. I attempted an assault right in the middle (Syracuse) of the theatre to tighten his forces up but the assault went very badly and many a men will be lost. Italy is safe for now.

Bdr

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
North Africa:
turns 82 – 100

Once Tobruk was secured, the UK units pushed the Italians back to El Agheila where the Afrika Korps had set up defences. This became a stale mated theatre for quite a while and no major actions would really commence again. UK units would push now and then to force the Axis units back to Sirte but other than that, the Afrika Korps was out of it and Tunis became the new focus.
Algiers was reinforced and Canadian and US forces arrived to stiffen the defences in North Africa.
Tunisia was defended by Italian infantry and some mech units but no armour or German units.
Allied forces consisted of mostly Armour and heavy infantry units. There was a lot of cleaning up but Tunis was secured easily and Italy, mainly Sicily became the focus. Vichy units switched sides and suddenly North Africa was even more secure with French forces taking up positions in all ports and even in southern France. Spain had joined, another mistake by the German High Command. Allied forces were shipped to Portugal and Southern France to lessen the burden in the East of the Russians. There was no end as a war ending agreement finished the game. Let’s just say, Spain also would have fallen and France would have been liberated by 10-15 turns…possibly.
The Med was secure and the Allies could take their pick of where they wanted to begin the final assault on Fortress Europe, which by now had a huge whole in the bottom.

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Turkey:
Turns 82 – 110

Pretty self-explanatory.
It was a huge mistake by the German High Command to think of opening this front.
Once Soviet forces arrived to help defend Ankara, it just became a major drain of the Axis forces.
Turkey was a costly endeavour and was a costly defence as well.

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/9994/turkey82xt2.png

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/477/turkey94of8.png

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/6792/turkey100sfux5.png

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/8615/turkey100bt2.png

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/6775/turkey110xf9.png

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
USSR:
Turns 82-119

Soviet units were all positioned, ready to be very mobile and fluid. They would shift to defend the main German assault which was expected soon. After Turkey was invaded, it was only a short matter of time before USSR was busy defending. The Rail lines were going to be busy.
The Germans made a 3 prong attack. One into the Baltic states towards Leningrad, one in the central part towards Minsk and the one in the south approached Kiev.
The German Armour units were fairly spread out and made no severe threat against the Soviet defences.
Also, German forces decided to fight Corps against Corps which meant I had more units to shift around and flank him or pressure him in other places. This continually forced him to move his units and never gave a good chance to assault in any one place. I needed to hold on as long as I could around my forward forts and defences till my reinforcements of Mech and Armour arrived. My infantry, Mech, Irregular units and of course my reserve units performed well and it became clear that the USSR would stave off the German and axis forces. Both sides took significant losses but the Soviet Union could afford to take heavy losses.
Once Turkey was secure against collapse, the USSR began to build invasion forces in the south of the country and began to cross the major rivers into Rumania and pressure his southern flank. Once this began, his German lines became weaker and I was able to make gains against his major front lines in the South and Central. In the North, German forces made great attempts at a breakthrough but the depth of my lines and continual rotation kept him from doing so. The northern sector was defended by experienced, hardened troops from Finland and Sweden. They performed well and won many battle honours here as well. There never really was any major breakthrough and in total I feel his invasion forces were too weak to be spread in such a manor, 3 prong attack in the USSR plus large amounts of forces in Turkey, Yugoslavia and of course some still in the Scandinavian country of Norway. It was just too much to ask of his generals to cope with so much with so little equipment. The Luftwaffe also came into contact with very experienced Soviet Air Groups. In Finland and Sweden they learned much and then applied it in Turkey and Mother Russia.
Germany made a total gain into Russia of about 300 kms in one front only. All in all, the Soviet forces must be commended for their defence of their nation.

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Finland, Sweden, Norway:

It was a slow grind for these countries due to the terrain and it was a minor theatre in all aspects.
It was a diversion for some of my Soviet forces but it was more important in the grand scheme of things to spread his forces out and make him commit some much needed German units to defend these countries.
Sweden and Finland were in Soviet control before Germany declared war on the USSR so the Soviet units were in a good position to advance on Narvik, Trondheim and of course Oslo. Some Norwegian units joined in and so did some Swedes on his part but the writing was on the wall, the Scandinavian countries have fallen under a Red Blanket of forces. Once Narvik was secured, Germany found no reason to remain and decided to slowly fall back to Oslo and Bergen. Bergen was secured and Allied forces were released to move back to Mother Russia. Olso was taken by British and US forces and from there cleanup commenced.
This theatre was active from nearly the beginning of the conflict. Soviet forces gained much experience, needed to fight the Germans. Airborne, Mech and Mobile units that took part in Sweden and Finland moved back to positions ready to defend approaches to Leningrad. Cleanup was left to infantry and NKVD units.

Yugoslavia:

Made sure the Guerrillas did their job. Kept as many enemy units busy as possible. They never surrendered.

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Final Remarks:

This was, as I was informed later, Schmindricks first EA game.
As most know, there is a certain learning curve to this scenario.
Following and understanding the briefing is important.

Planning according to cease fires and shock level bonuses is very important.
He did not use these aspects to their full extent which caused slow progress where it counted, i.e. RUSSIA. Once the Soviets were able to stunt or stop the progress, it became a matter of time and eventually, with the US involved and the Brits still very well equipped, as Soviet forces grew, the tide shifted. Axis forces were never able to penetrate the Soviet front lines due to the extra involvement in Turkey, North Africa, Norway, Sweden and Finland. His Armour forces were too spread out to act as a fully functioning 'Blitzkrieg' force. The Luftwaffe was punished weekly and near the end the Allies enjoyed air superiority.
It was an enjoyable match and I am sure he learned a lot about the map, units and certain static strategies.

Game ended on turn 120 for the Germans.
Substantial victory for the Allies was granted due to the 'Surrender' terms agreed upon.

bdr.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Great AAR. Truely, the learning curve can be a bit steep, very important to fully read and digest the briefing.

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hey,
thanx mon.
This was my second time as Allies and I made more sense of the briefing and my units that were useable.
Russia was much better defended this time as well. (1st time played 3.4a)

I am playing EA3.4d right now as the Axis and have seen the forces that the Russians receive now, it's astounding in some cases.

Battle should be heavy for sure.

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
as I am german forces now, dreading the russian build up in the east...expecting an onslaught anytime now....russian t-34's growing in numbers..... but german forces well prepared...i think finland in our game, rasmus is doomed me thinx....sweden next??? c'mon give me a hint....can't wait to play next turn.

bdr.mallette

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
I mailed yout turn back on june 12th. Resending just in case...

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hey Rasmus...

heckuva game we got going... turn 191 and 3 years...sheeeesh.

up to begin a new game possibly... still finish this one but maybe you start as zee Germans this time?

anyhoo.... got to go... bdr.mallette