EA 3.4d for CoW AAR

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Europe Aflame 3.4(d) Century of Warfare

Bdr.Mallette (Allies) vs. Schmindrick (Axis)

I had another briefing but didn't post it because it had global strategies that may tip my opponent off too much, maybe, possibly. This AAR is roughly, in the end, about 7 turns behind, with the Sitz just beginning.

Beginning:

Germany is ready to expand.
Poland is Ripe as well as the Baltic states.
Rumania, Bulgaria, Spain, Italy, Hungary are on the fence and beginning to side with Berlin and the pressure coming from the Chancellor.
The Soviet Union is on the fence but has had conferences concerning Poland with Germany.
The United Kingdom, France and other Allies have been impotent in their attempts to appease Hitler.
France's Maginot line may be expanded at any time but this will affect the political climate severely.
Anyway you look at it, War is coming and it's gonna be a big one.
UK forces are mobilizing and positioning her fleets and armies accordingly.
The RAF is training and preparing airfields.
It's still relatively quiet but the air is thick with tension.
USA is still in isolationist mode but is aware of the approach of war, even possibly in the pacific.

Opening Turns:

The French build the Maginot Line to the sea.
Allies detect and are informed of German Aircraft carriers. They must have selected this T.O.
Upon the French building the Maginot Hungary joins the Axis, Bulgaria and Romania mobilize.

July 22nd, 1939

Germany invades Poland. Initial defences thrown back and severley punished by "BiltzKrieg".
Both the French and English governments stand by their agreements and declare war on Germany and Axis nations.
German airborne units land well behind the lines and are beat up on by the Polish Cavalry . The German 7th Fleiger Division loses a Regiment in unsupplied territory. A small victory.
The battle in Poland is a painful reality of what Germany has been up to.
The XI UK reserve moves to Gibraltar to shore up defences and to deploy from there.
The IX UK reserve moves to Port Sudan to finish off any Axis units there very quickly.
8th Army HQ moves to Alexandria and orders the Army of the Nile to take up defensive positions in Egypt.
8th Div stays in Haifa.

Russian forces enter Iran and begin a long slow trek to Tehran.
Russian troops amass along Finnish border.
Russian plan is to move troops quickly across to Kemi, secure the northern territories and then move south from there with a sea port for reinforcements. Secure Viipuri and move up to Helsinki from there. Keep allied aircraft out of the reach of German air units. Russia opts to invade the Baltic states and secure a buffer zone between Moscow and Berlin.

Aug 19th, 1939

Poland Collapses. Warsaw falls and all armies disband.
German units are seen re-organizing and re-grouping.
Western front along France very quiet.
The Baltic states are fighting very hard and giving the Russian units there a hard time.
Iran is slow but expected conquer soon.
The UK GHQ deploys the Royal Marines to Mombassa and splits the Army of the nile for defence in Egypt.
The newly arrived 'Free Poland' division is stationed in Dover.
Along the French border, the line has siginficantly been beefed up as well as the French marines have been stationed in Calais for EF maneouvres.

September 2nd, 1939 (turn 10)

Finland Declares war, Russia declares war against Finland.
Russian Cavalry and Mechanized units move quickly along road routes to first objectives in northern Finland. Petsamo is assaulted. Finnish units fight hard and Russian units suffer dearly and in some cases entire divisions are lost or disbanded.
Germans Invade Norway.
Kristiansand is assaulted and taken by an Army Divison, an engineering division and an airborne division.
Now, I was relatively happy to see this. I had made this mistake myself in my game as the Axis. He has to land in Oslo or the port nearby to have sufficient supply to conquer all of Norway. I am hoping he begins to use Kritiansand as his main landing point and drains his forces from there.
From here on I will deploy the Norwegian forces in the sole attempt to slow him down. Most of my units will be in tactical mode for support in the hills and mountains.

NO cavalry Brigade and 1st Inf brigade are positioned to the west of Oslo and east of Krist'd.
they are split and dug in and put in tactical mode.
1st and 2nd Norwegian Divs assigned the protection of Oslo and surrounding area.
4th Brigade of the 4th Div positioned in Lillihammer for protection of flanking manoeuvres or more airdrops.
5th Norwegian Div moved to Bergen for defense of Narvik as well as deployment for ground defense in the area if needed.
Stavanger is defended by 2 brigades and shore batteries.

The bridge joining Kristiansand and Stavanger is blown.
The UK land the 50th Div and the EF HQ in Bergen.
UK air units, 1 ground support unit and defiant air unit to Bergen's Airfield for support.
Prepare to take up offensive actions.

September 30th, 1939 (turn 14)

Axis units in Norway are still without a major supply source.
The units deploying from Kristiansand are slowly weakening and becoming cannon fodder even to my light forces attacking them. I really wish to destroy these units but so far have had minimal turn rate as well as units continually re-org'ing.

1st UK armoured Div. deployed from Stavanger to assault Kristiansand from the ground, try to finish off this invasion quickly. UK EME's repair the bridge and clear the way for the armour.
With the Norwegian forces in the east acting as an anvil, the UK forces will hammer through to the port.
Newly arrived Norwegian reserves take up support positions. During these turns, German naval losses were heavy.

From the onset, the western front has been very quiet. Now with Maginot in good health and growing stronger each day, the French Generals have moved their mobile and mechanized units along with their armour into the line istelf. So far, Germany has left light units to defend the line and a total of possibly a Corps level unit has arrived from Poland. Germany has about 2 Corps in Norway with Denmark being heavily occupied as well. I have seen movement around Yugoslavia and have seen at least 1 panzer corps there. If he intends to invade Yugoslavia with most of his armour and mech units, and is busy in Norway, I intend to invade Belgium and take it quickly.
This will hopefully give me a buffer zone to again slow his troops... using the defences along Belgium and Germany and then the Maginot as a second line of defence, this should buy me some time. I will use all my fast units with infantry to back them up and reinforce.
If:
--> He attacks Yugoslavia with substantial commitment still in Norway,
-->His major forces in Yugo are his armour and Mech, and seen not on a rail hex,
-->He has still forgotten about the western front, seemingly
-->and there is no surprises in the next few turns....
France will invade Belgium.

He may panic and I can catch a break somewhere. I know the Yugoslav units fight hard and a lot of trouble can come out of that region so this is really my main goal as well as create a buffer and defence line for France.

In Finland, Petsamo is captured and units proceeding along to Kemi.
In southern Finland, fighting is brutal. Heavy losses to the Russian forces with little ground gained.
This may take longer than anticipated.

October 21st, 1939 (turn 17)

Axis units invade Yugoslavia, most major Axis units involved. Panzer units and Mech units spotted in yugo. Norway still a hotbed of action and I may be able to re-take Oslo this week. Although Oslo has fallen and most Norwegian units have been disbanded, there are still some fighting on with the UK units. There is about 1.5 German Corps left unsupplied and I'd like to clean them up before they break through from Oslo.
All conditions are met for France to invade Belgium.
French units entering Belgium:
1 armoured corps, 1 Armoured Div, 2 Cavalry Divs, 3 Motorized Corps, 3 Lght Cavalry Corps, and a total of 3 Infantry Corps as support and reinforcements.
This should be a strong enough thrust in the initial phases to secure the desired territory. Air units have been moved up and Allied strategic bombers have attempted to destroy most german supply routes in the area.
Yugoslavia is still in allied control and with a lot of German units in the area, this should not last long.

Russians have broken through Viipuri and is currently driving a wedge boxing in the remaining Finnish armies. Helsinki won't be a bad drive after all. Kemi is in Allied control and the clean up of Finnish forces there has begun.

In Southern Finland;

Iran has fallen.

November 6th, 1939 (turn19)
French units have entered Belgium in wholesale manner and have pushed the Belgian forces back to the German div positions. Here, the French have forced back a few units but also have run into a few tough ones in the Ardennes. Mech and Armour have taken Brussels, Antwerp and Ghent and have infantry support as well. During this phase, the German player has activated the Option to invade the entire Low-lands so Holland has now entered the fray. Using the forces in Holland, they squeezed the Belgian forces out of the seaside hexes in the Hague and attacked them in Antwerp. Simultaneously, the French forces manning the Maginot line attacked the German forces in the Ardennes but suffered heavy losses. 2 French divisions were hit hard and were forced to disband, to reform later. French air power was brought to the forefront and sustained heavy losses as well but did hurt the German air force as well. British Strategic bombers hit the bridges in Holland and Belgium to try and slow any reinforcements. Bridge between Arnhem and Antwerp blown, Koblenz Bridge destroyed, all bridges from Arnhem to the rest of holland destroyed as well, finally, the Saarbrucken bridge was impressively destroyed. I have left the Frech Armour Corps in the rear for support when the Germans counter attack. As well, the French infantry has moved into support positions into the Maginot to help defend this line. Forces in the rear will deal with Air drops if any. 2 of the 4 Parachute units have been spotted elsewhere. 1 in Norway and 1 in Yugoslavia.
France has also shipped 3 Divisions off to Norway to help save the UK forces there. French Navy destroyed the German Aircraft carriers in the waters off Norway.
Russian forces made no attempt at a big push due to the Axis selecting the Attack Lowlands T.O. .This gives all my forces 70% shock penalties. 3 turns total I think.
The next weeks prior to the Sitz should be interesting.

Turn 19

Turn 20

As you can see, the French attack faired well in the beginning, but with the German shock bonus of 70%, 'BlitzKrieg' has changed war forever and the french found that out as well as the Poles. The Germans hit back hard and Belgium and Holland have fallen or will fall. The Maginot Line is all that protects Paris now from the Nazi Hordes plotting their next move. I withdrew the remaining mobile forces and rebuilt the Maginot with infantry and support units in tactical mode. It will be a full force defence, will he attack before the sitz though, I'm not sure.

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Beginning of Sitzkrieg:

In France, the units that were battered along the line were rotated out and rested up. They've gained some experience and have also hurt the Germans. The Armour, armoured cavalry and light cavalry units formed around Paris to get full supply after being punished for invading Belgium and taking on the German Heer.
1 Division from Norway was returned to Calais to rest as well as one Marine Division.
In Southern France, it is relatively quiet with no threat from the Italians or Spanish as of yet. Forces can be quickly moved there if needed.
In North Africa and the Middle East, things are also quiet with no expected movement from the Italians.
Greece has prepared as best they can for any invasion there. Terrain will play a major role in any defence.
If UK units can assist in any way, they will.

Southern France will remain quiet I am assuming for the next little while so no real beefing up is required at present. I am sure some units will be moved to this region but as to what kind and what strengths is yet unknown. If Italy does declare war on the side of the Germans, then obvious units MUST be shipped or railed here for defence.

In Norway, the German 8th and 9th Corps have split the main route to Trondheim and then Narvik.
After a few turns, I lost sight of his main force but I expect he is letting them rest in a good supply zone.
The Norwegian units remaining after Oslo fell totals 4 divisions and these will be key in the defence of the remaining territory in Norway. UK air support and some infantry remain, so far.
With Sweden entering on the side of the Axis power, Narvik is open to a land attack from the south so some forces will have to be diverted immediately to protect this port. The UK Expeditionary command is still stationed in Trondheim and this should be a major battle site, possibly.

In Soviet Russia, the Baltic states have come under communist control and should delay any actions started in this area. The Baltic states' ports have been used to launch assaults on Finland as well as their airfields have been put to good use.
As of December 16th, 1939;
Karelian Front consists of 9 Army Corps, 2 Mechanized Corps, Airborne Corps as well as some NKVD security units. Sweden proposes a threat so I have to have sufficient forces to deal with it as well as push south to finish the Finnish.

From the Leningrad front, 9 Army Corps and 3 Mech Corps are ready to pounce in Finland after being punished up to this point from Finnish troops well dug in. The approach from Kuopio will be important to spread his forces. A swedish expeditionary force arrived in Helsinki and he has placed them in a defence posture around the capitol.

Russia has prepared for war in it's regular defensive positions. With Iran captured, Poland Captured, the Baltic states captured and Finland about to fall, Moscow has ensured a buffer zone before any enemy could encraoch upon 'Mother Russia'. iran is currently being defended by 3 security divisions and a Russian mobile infantry Corps. UK units are to the west of them in Baghdad, Haifa and Egypt. Turkey is not seen as any threat so far.

These are the positions of the forces in place at turn 25, the beginning of the sitzkrieg between France and Germany mostly. Once the sitzkrieg ends, I am positive the units would have changed their locations and strengths. Expected at least 8 turns of free movement and strategic planning. He moves first though so I have to remember that near the closing of peace actions.
Expecting Greece to fall and his cleaning up actions in Yugo will go accordingly. Unfortunately.
Turkey is a long trek for him in any endeavour, so this will be a minor front till later on in the war.
Russia is expecting major reinforcements in the coming weeks. Build-up is beginning.
"This is not the End, nor is it the beginning of the end, but perhaps, it is, the end of the beginning"

Russian politbureau kidnaps English speech Writer.!

Bdr.

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hello,

currently on turn 43. june 29th,2007.
Game going well so far. version 3.4d is much improved over 3.4a, that I played before as allies.

Sitz is over: turn 35

In France, finding out that there is no 'mystical army' about to come to their aid against any German aggression on the eastern border, the forces are widely spread and put in tactical mode to assist in defence and slow any german advance. A lot of units are still stationed on rail hexes and if need be can be shifted quickly to other parts of the battle of France. There has been little activity on the German side that has been noticed, a little bit of shuffling but that is it. 2 pzr divs or Corps were moved down into Italy, either to divert my attention or as a main thrust into southern France then appraoch Paris from the South and East. Either way, they will be tough to slow down but after his initial shock is over, maybe I can do a wee bit of damage.
The French 1st Army Group along with an armoured corps, 2 armoured cavalry, 3 Mobile Corps and 3 light cavalry divisions are grouped around Paris for the final battle and any opening that may appear due to an early turn ending on his part. Air power from southern England and units stationed in France will be set on minimize losses to hopefully at least stay out of re-org mode during German offensive.

Southern France has changed a little bit since early December. Several Corps and Division strength units have been railed here to protect the southern shores as well as help the French Alpine Army defend the Mountain passes. Air cover has been shifted and a fallback line has been setup and planned in case of overwhelming German and Italian might. If I can hold the main route and Massive Central around Grenoble for a little while, maybe the French can hold off the Germans for a bit, long enough to slow any advance on Paris. Units stationed in ports may also be diverted to North Africa or even an invasion in Italy if the opportunity exists...I'll have to keep my eye on it. Oslo has been open for 2 weeks now with only a Division protecting it but......

In Norway, the Free Pole Division, 2 French Marine divisions and 2 regiments of Regular French infantry will be responsible for the slowing of any advance on Bergen. UK units presently there will be moved to either Scapaflow or Narvik. Norwegian forces have set up a line in the mountains on the main road to Trondheim and will slowly fall back and try to maintain their formations.
British units have been stationed in Trondheim and the 50th or the 51st UK divisions will be shipped to Trondheim and Narvik. Not much air superiority in this area, just enough for ground support.

Just before the Sitzkrieg and the harsh winter started, Sweden joined the war on the side of the Axis. This means that now the Russian units in Finland are responsible for completing their objectives as soon as possible and continuing on to fulfilling the tasks that Soviet High command will issue for the Conquest of Sweden. Sweden poses a threat to Kemi and the supply route to Petsamo as well as the approach to Narvik which may be a huge factor when Germany attacks Russia, if ever. The Karelian Front is being commanded by Semyon Timoshenko and he has improved the lines a great deal since taking over from Voroshilov. In the initial phases, Finnish forces defended well and held their ground and punished the Russian forces dearly. Since the new steps were taken, superior air power and better trained units that were brought in, Viipuri , Kuopio and Kemi were captured. Petsamo was a matter of time in any case and any supply coming from this direction should be secured. The approaches to Helsinki from the aformentioned cities will press the Finns into declaring peace or utter destruction.

A large amount of force will be applied on Helsinki to end this debacle.
Sweden is next, I guess.

Finnish forces fighting hard and bravely, they could have been an asset as an ally instead of as a foe, US politicians feel the same, less likely to enter war in aid of Soviet Union.

Last edited:

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Wow. WIth all those Soviets tied up in FInland, it might be time for the Axis to launch an all out attack on the USSR, eh Mark? :devious: :bite: :laugh:

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Nahhh,
that would never happen.
Besides, I've got lots of Border troops protecting mother Russia. lol
A lot of 'em are on rail lines..as you can see...just in case.
bdr

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Nahhh,
that would never happen.
Besides, I've got lots of Border troops protecting mother Russia. lol
A lot of 'em are on rail lines..as you can see...just in case.
bdr
I only mention this because it is what Mark did to me, but he attacked before the Sitz and was unable to make it to Moscow before the Sitz (largely due to his signalling his attack before he opened up by threeatening me, which I, thankfully, took seriously. :laugh:).

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
sweden
turn 37

Russian push thru to Boden lulea is stalled. No push through yet. 3 mech and 1 AB Corps assigned.
1 tank corps is coming up to assist. Units moving to capture Gallivare have become embroiled in a defensive position. Swedish units attempting a flanking manoeuvre have been slowed by the 2 Soviet Corps. 1 Corps of infantry has been moved there to assist in defence.

Turn39
Soviet Mech and Armour with assistance from 1st AB corps, crossed the river to Boden Lulea, and will begin their actions towards the northern border with Norway and then on to Stockholm and the rest. Soviet infantry tried to make a move on Gallivare from the east but they were heavily defended and it became a defensive action rather than an offensive one.
Timoshenko has ordered enough forces in the area to hopefully overwhelm the initial Swedish defences.
A total of 4 mechanized corps, 1 armoured corps, 1 airborne corps and 3 infantry corps are all situated for the main assault. other forces may arrive through ports or the main rail line which will hopefully be repaired quickly. NKVD forces will maintain security and clean up any guerrillas.

Finland
turn 37
5th and 14th armies from the north have encountered stiff resistance but some progress made to the port of Pori. A strong force is forcing a push through to Tampere and relieving the pressure on the 14th and 5th AG. 3rd Tank Corps, 1 mech and 1 AB Corps attempting push from the south from Viipuri. They are attempting a link up with the forces approaching from Kuopio. Finns putting up a strong defence. Progress very slow.

Norway
turn 37

8th and 10th German Infantry Corps pushed through and took Bergen with Naval support. The French and Free Poles are assumed captured or soon to be lost as they were pushed away from the port and sandwiched between a major river and 2 German Corps. 3 French Divisions and 1 Polish Division lost in the battle of Bergen. 15th and 9th German Corps broke the Norwegian lines and punished the defenders by capturing or destroying 2 whole Divisions and forcing the rest to flee north to Trondheim. Terrain played no factor at all in this defence.

SouthernFrance
turn 37
Predicted attack launched in this region. At present, building a defensive line along Massive Central and Lyon. Slowing progress as much as possible. 2 Full german Pzr Corps with mobile infantry trying to break through Grenoble and the Alpine defenders. A total of 3 Corps and 3 divisions shifted to this defence.
Air support has also been shifted with SAC destroying 3 bridges in Italy and southern Germany to hamper supply and reinforcements.

Greece was crippled quickly then taken out. No problems for the Axis forces. I tried to put the Greeks in defendable areas but the overwhelming of force made the battle a quick one. Athens surrendered by turn 41and only the forces on Crete remain. Africa is preparing herself for invasion of German units and UK forces from Norway will probably get the assignment to do the defending.

In and around Paris has been relatively quiet, Germans and French have nudged each other a few times along the Maginot but that's about it. SAC is doing a good job at keeping German engineers busy, in Italy, Germany, Belgium, Holland and now Sweden. Pretty soon they'll be 100% bridge blowing experts.
Luftwaffe putting up stiff resistance over Germany though.

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
turns 38-39..march 1940

After sitz:ended turn 35- turn 39

turn 39
14th Mobile was destroyed as it was sucked into a 3 front ambush then beat upon. The Finns decided to slow this approach with a large amount of forces and reinforcements were brought into the area. An Easterly assault on Tampere helped ease the pressure on those northerly forces and a link up was achieved.
A link up between the forces approaching Helsinki from Kuopio and from Viipuri was also achieved and a major push on Helsinki will commence immediately. Several generals were disciplined and 2 were shot for leading their troops into inept situations forcing them to disband. Hopefully, true lessons are being learned.
I would really like to capture the Swedish troops in Finland right now, about 2 corps of mech and mobile infantry, but he is guarding 2 ports of escape, I will try though. The Finnish forces have fought very hard and have been a tough force to deal with as well the terrain adds significantly to their defence, if Sweden is like this, it'll be a long journey to Stockholm .

Norway

turn 39
Bergen has fallen as well as Trondheim. 3 German Corps were stationed just outside of Trondheim and the UK units decided to 'Bug Out'. 1 infantry div and an armoured div escaped along the road to Narvik, destroying the bridges along the way.
Norway is a lost cause now, just defend Narvik and escape.

SouthernFrance
turn 39

Major push now from this region by the German armoured units. Italians taking the low road along the coast while the Germans taking the high road through the passes to Grenoble and Lyon. I have implemented my fallback line and hopefully can slow him down some. German blitzkrieg approaching soon, spring has fallen already, march 21st, so Major offensive launched soon I am sure.
Have also planned an assault on mainland Italy, either in Sicily or Genoa or Anzio region using french colonial forces. I think he has left his rear uncovered for an assault, and this may tie up some of his units assaulting in the southern region. 3-4 divisions should be able to make the trek.

Horn/ Greece
The defences in the 'Horn of Africa' Region are slowly being dealt with, some UK forces were shifted to deal with the Italian incursion in Egypt so this will be a slower battle than anticipated. Gladly I shipped some extra forces to this region earlier, namely the XI reserve corps.
Along the Egyptian/Libyan border, the Italians have decided to thrust a good sized force near Matrula. In response, the british forces have brought up the Anzac light mech Brigade, the 4th Indian Div, 1st reg. of the 31st Indian armour, an engineer unit, supply and finally the 1st div. of the 'Army of the nile' to deal with the Italians. Some pushing got them back over the border by turn 42.
Crete has been heavily reinforced with UK forces including a reg. of armour around Heraklion and in the northern part of Crete, french units have stationed themselves. Some air support is stationed on the island.

In Tunisia, along the Mareth line, the Italians have moved up a total of 4 divisions and 2 corps of infantry to make a move on Tunis. I have reinforced with 2 divisions and 2 light cavalry units. A total of 9 divisions are guarding the Mareth line and Tunis with some fleet support and air support. The French have performed relatively well thus far.

Bdr.

Last edited:

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Turn 41 & 42:

North Africa:

Along the Mareth line, the Italian Infantry, Black Shirt division and mech units have pushed the French defences to the line and are attempting a breakthrough. French forces have been able to hold them off but a breakthrough is inevitable so a division of colonial troops were moved in to assist. Air and Sea support are still stationed in and around Tunis.

In the eastern Mediterranean the UK forces have beefed up and have pushed the italians back to Bardia and may make an attempt at Tobruk before any more Axis units can be brought up to bear. Armour and heavier units are being shifted to fight the war in Africa. Crete was a short lived attempt at holding it but the frnch forces allowed a landing and the Germans pressed the advantage from there. UK forces were withdrawn to Alexandria and Port Said and Crete was considered lost to the Germans.
Small advances are being made in the desert.

Finland:
In Finland, Stalin has ordered an all out assault on Helsinki and demands it be taken immediately. However, the forces defending the area don't seem to want to capitulate. They are holding their ground with severe intent on keeping it causing very high casualties amongst the russian forces. To aid in the taking of the city, 2 armoured corps have been rushed in to take it along with the Airborne, mechanized and regular infantry units in the vicinity. The northern assault from tampere and kemi have linked up and forcing a push from Pori to clean up the remaining Finnish and Swedish forces. It has been a rough go but I can finally see the light in Finland...through all the swamps and lakes and badlands.... the troops must've had it rough.

Sweden:

Because of rail problems and road problems, all reinforcements will arrive through Oulu or once the rails are open, from Leningrad itself. Swedish units don't seem to fight as hard as the Finns but the territory will be just as hard to deal with. Forces from Kemi have forced their way through to Boden lulea and will spread out from here to secure the territory. S.A.C. has destroyed or attempting to destroy the rail routes to and from Gallivare and entrapment of the remaining troops will begin. Southern Sweden will be a long trek so quick gains are needed. Swedish troops remain in Finland and cleanup of those is commencing and possibly trap them in Finland so as not to help defend their nation on their own soil.

Southern France:

The German advance through the mountain passes has been stalled by the French forces that have dug-in with each unit supporting each other. Building of the fallback line along Massive Central is near completion and if the forces around Lyons and Grenoble can hold out a little longer, a proper defence line can be built.
The 5th, 8th, 9th and the Armee of the Alpes have the main responsibility of holding off the axis forces in southern France. Army Group 1 and remaining elements of the 2nd and 3rd Army Groups are left defeding the Maginot and Paris and forcing the Axis units back.
Mobile units have been moved up to help defend both lines and hopefully their superior armour defence can help slow down any Advance into Southern France. There are presently no UK forces in France and this shall remain until such decisions are necessary. Italian forces have been easy to push back with French air support and the push along the coast has been relatively slower than the push through the passes. The French Generals are wishing their units reconstituted right now for sure. France was improperly prepared for this war and the signs are beginning to show.

Allied command in England have used the Strategic Air Command to hamper any advvances or supply to the Axis as much as possible. The Air war seems to be going in the Allies favour. The Allied naval forces as well seem to be in total control already and control of both the air and seas is imperative.... as I'm sure my opponent knows all too well also. France has been a surprise as they have held off any major axis gains thus far and have performed very well. Colonial troops as well have held up their end in their prescribed territories.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
There are presently no UK forces in France and this shall remain until such decisions are necessary.
Don't be reactive. Either commit the Brits, if you hope to hold France indeffinately, or write them off and tlet them fend for themselves. If you wait till you need them in France to send them, then by the time they get to France, the situation will be such that they will no longer be able to help. Or at least this has been my experience. :D

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hey,

I was thinking the same before...about 10 turns ago or so but.... kept him busy in Norway...he just gained Narvik on turn 49. I'm not sure by timeline if that is good but I drew it out as long as possible. As well, he drew the Soviet conquest of Finland out very long as well...at turn 48 I think, I finally gained Helsinki and the fall of Finland. His forces around "Bloody" Helsinki, were either very stubborn or my attacks were in too much strength where I suffered higher than normal casualties.... which kinda suct...but...
I am still, at turn 50 cleaning up remaining Swedish forces in Southern Finland and 1 Div of Baltic State's forces, sheeeeeesh.

Uhmmmm, I am not sure if was planned or not, but Schmindrick has finally activated 'Case Yellow' which the French felt fairly hard at turn 50....ugh, but we are regrouping.... if it was planned to delay the T.O., it may or may not benefit him in N.A.
Oh well, France still free at turn 50 with plenty of units remaining.... and have punished the Germans and Italians sufficiently thus far. Brit units may or may not assist around Paris...then escape?

:upset:

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Nope, I don't think so.
Lyons fell to the Axis, then some smaller gains in France, French took Lyons back the week before Crete fell. Lyon was lost again after the German Panzers came through again but...I think the damage was done already.
Some weird events being triggered so far in this match.

bdr.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Nope, I don't think so.
Lyons fell to the Axis, then some smaller gains in France, French took Lyons back the week before Crete fell. Lyon was lost again after the German Panzers came through again but...I think the damage was done already.
Some weird events being triggered so far in this match.

bdr.
What other oddities have you seen?
Can you send me save files, at veersw a-t gmail d-o-t com, for the last couple turns so I can have a look?

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
hmmmm,
iunno....
How do I know yer not a spy?
Passing on information like that could be detrimental my whole plan! heheh

yeah, I guess so.
Not really very many weird events happening... just Sweden entering, Lyon falling twice, Finland falling.

Maybe, because, I selected Maginot extension and Schmindrick did not initiate an EC game. Carried on as normal with Maginot there and getting Italy involved for a sweeping flank manoeuvre along the Southern coast and through the mountains.... negating the maginot line.
Ahhh well.

I guess I'll send ya turns 49, 50.

bdr

Schmindrick

Reaction score
hmmmmmm

yes I have been playing Bdr's game most of the way....He invaded Finland and triggered Sweden as he neared Helsinki. When he extended the Maginot, I pretty much had to bring the Italians aboard early to open my left flank into southern France. But this also brings the Africa Corps aboard, and I had to start the Egypt and North Africa campaign....very slowly as I had to concentrate some forces for the Attack on Crete. I abandoned the Sudan and I took a wippin on Cyprus to....I haven't seen any British troops in france....its looks like he is Concentrating British forces in North Africa.
Update from the other side. S:surprise:

Schmindrick

Reaction score
Maginot and Belgium

also forgot...he attacked Belgium when I was in Norway, so I had to attack the Low countries before I was ready...but the shock pushed him back prett fast.

Schmindrick

Reaction score
Turn 48

Actually on turn 48 I did take Narvik and Crete at the same time...a fluke of time and turn but, looking at the turn again he had 3 units in front of Narvik with 1-1 and red (tired out), and I was one square away from Herakleian on crete.

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Square? Square?

Whatchutalkinboutwillis?

lol...just kidding.

Yeah, I guess it was the same turn.
Coincidences are strange sometime....even in a game, timing coinsidences are weird.
I guess we both learned something valuable though...so far.

good game so far huh? I'm just going to do turn 52 right now...
Cyprus is awaiting...and I'm dreading to see N.A.

bdr.

gotta finish poker first though

Last edited: