E9.32 Shooting Fish in a Barrel

c600g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm looking at playing scenario 97 ("A Desperate Affair") shortly, and am setting up as the British defenders of humanity and questionable taste. As the paratroops descend toward Crete, I am salivating at the prospects of -2 modifiers, but want to make sure I understand E9.32 correctly.

9.32 ELIGIBLE FIRERS & SNIPERS: Only Small Arms and Light AA (7.51) weapons can Defensive First Fire/Subsequent First Fire vs Aerial paratroops. No To Hit DR, Sniper attack, or Fire Lane is allowed vs Aerial targets.

Next stop? Index and Glossary:

Small Arms Fire: The inherent FP of any personnel counter and includes any Inherent SW.

Final stop, E7.51:

... Only AA Guns with IFE, Infantry-manned HMG21, vehicular AAMG, and AA-capable MA/CMG can fire at aircraft counters as Light AA.

So, this means that my squads and half squads can fire at the paratroops, but my LMGs and MMGs may not (also, mortar fire vs. paratroops was found to be highly dangerous).

The only reason I question this is that E7.51 seems to be more squarely aimed at aircraft, and not paratroops in particular.

Alan

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
E9.32 seems pretty clear. I am not aware of another rule that would expand eligible weapons to include LMGs nor MMGs.

JR

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They were more trained on on Laws of Warfare that states one cannot shoot at descending paratroopers (you may however shoot at their equipment-shirts, boots, helmets, etc.).

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Remember your range to target is doubled for Aerial fire. That takes a lot of the sting out of it.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Desperate Affair is one of my favorite scenarios. Last time me and Wei played a see saw battle to the end with my German hero just enough to stop the last Allied attack. The Brits had stolen all my best Mgs and used them to great effect.