E7.401 Strafing

Jack Dionne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Played scenario J93 The Porechye Bridgehead from the new Journal. Anyway the Russian’s get Air Support in this scenario. We had a rules disagreement in regards to Strafing. Rather than waste time I gave in with a promise to post on this forum.

While conducting a strafing run, I already passed my sighting task check, I said the strafing run affect all four hexes in the run regardless if LOS exist. My opponent disagreed. Remember I did say that I passed my STC for the initial attack because LOS did exist.

E7.401 gives no exceptions to strafing.

Last edited:

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While conducting a strafing run, I already passed my sighting task check, I said the strafing run affect all four hexes in the run regardless if LOS exist. My opponent disagreed. Remember I did say that I passed my STC for the initial attack because LOS did exist.
Strafing run => all four hexes.
Point attack, i.e. with the bomb => just one hex.

After it passes its Sighting TC, and after all Light AA fire (7.51 against it has been resolved, it may fire on its initial target. The aircraft then moves to the next hex along the predesignated Hex grain toward that target and, after receiving all Light AA fire in this hex, may (if it chooses) make another attack DR an a new target hex four hexes distant. The aircraft repeats this procedure (henceforth referred to as a Strafing Run) in every hex traversed until it occupics the target hex of its initial target. At this point it cannot attack again during that Player Turn, but must attempt to continue moving along that Hex Grain to receive all possible Light AA frreuntil it occupies the last hex it attacked. After receiving all Light AA fire in that last target hex, it is moved to an out-of-theway corner of the mapboard where it is immune to further Light AA fire until it attacks again in a subsequent Player Turn.
CAVEAT: Any typos are bad ocr from Adobe and poor proofreading skills.

Not sure I know what
E7.401 gives no exceptions to staffing.
means.

Jack Dionne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Re-word question

Thanks for your input. Forgive me for my bad spelling, I edited my post. I am familiar with the difference between a point attack and a strafing run. Let me re-word my question. Do blind hexes get attacked in strafing runs that are not the initial target? I say yes.

Hopalong

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi Jack,

Per A6.1 you need to be able to see a target to fire on it. A6.4 tells us blind hexes are immune to attack. From E7.25, we get that the height of Aerial units reduces the number of blind hexes behind an obstacle to one but doesn't total remove them. You don't need to make any more sighting TC after the original one to attack other targets on the strafing run, but per normal los rules to be attacked they do need to be in los. Also see illustrated example to E7.3 which clearly shows that blind hexes are not attacked.

Hope that helps.

Jack Dionne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hopalong said:
Hi Jack,

Per A6.1 you need to be able to see a target to fire on it. A6.4 tells us blind hexes are immune to attack. From E7.25, we get that the height of Aerial units reduces the number of blind hexes behind an obstacle to one but doesn't total remove them. You don't need to make any more sighting TC after the original one to attack other targets on the strafing run, but per normal los rules to be attacked they do need to be in los. Also see illustrated example to E7.3 which clearly shows that blind hexes are not attacked.

Hope that helps.
Thanks Paul,

I did read that example but I thought that example was for STC only. I am still getting an unsure feeling with this.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Blind hexes may not be hit.
... and dont forget to leave Residual FP in strafed hexes!