E7.25, E7.403 and E7.43 - Stukas in Stalingrad

aslwynn

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Need a refresher on Stukas. Russian are entering with a bunch of guys out of German LOS in the back field (in RB1 One Down, Two to Go).

Some Qs:

1. Can a Stuka be used to strafe 4 contiguous hexes and pin units in all 4? We think not.

2. Would a Stuka's auto-pin on its 1st MG shot strip concealment? We think not if target out of LOS of enemy ground units.

3. Q&A for E7.25 (pasted below) says concealment for both MG attacks and TH does not apply if target is moving in open ground. Not 100% sure what open ground means in this context. Is it the A10.531 definition of OG? We assume yes.

4. If target was say, in a shellhole hex, after auto-pin, FFMO/FFNAM no longer applies so does target now get the TEM as well? We think yes, just as if shot at by a ground unit and pinned.

5. If target after 1st MG attack has not broken, but is now pinned, is it treated as concealed for the Stuka's 2nd attack, both with MG and for any TH since it is no longer moving in OG?

Wynn

E7.25

Ver. 22
An airplane passed a Sighting TC versus a Concealed Target (infantry or an AFV), does Case K (C6.2) apply to the TH DR?
A. Yes, unless the target is moving in open ground.

Is a concealed unit moving in open ground considered “entirely concealed” for purposes of the Sighting TC?
A. Not concealed for purposes of Sighting TC either.

Ed Caswell

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
1. No. Limited to first Point Attack (E7.403).

2. Not if there isn't any friendly (to the Stuka) Good Order Ground unit with LOS to the enemy unit.

3. Correct

4. Yes (E74).

5. Yes.

My best guess.

Ed

aslwynn

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
1. No. Limited to first Point Attack (E7.403).

2. Not if there isn't any friendly (to the Stuka) Good Order Ground unit with LOS to the enemy unit.

3. Correct

4. Yes (E74).

5. Yes.

My best guess.

Ed
Ed;

Glad *someone* answered, anyway! :)

Wynn

aslwynn

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Regardless of the presence/absence of enemy ground units, becoming pinned is not concealment loss. Taking a PTC is, but there is no PTC involved.

JR
So **that's** why the ASLRB in E.7403 does not refer to a PTC. I've been playing this game, with Stukas, for 20 years and had never caught that nuance. Thank you very much fir that bit of enlightenment!

P.S. My opponent and I are preparing for the release of Red Factories via some 'practice' with Red Barricades.

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The other issue is that when Dashing across the street those Stukas may not get any other result, but they will get that Pin with a successful Sighting TC.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Regardless of the presence/absence of enemy ground units, becoming pinned is not concealment loss. Taking a PTC is, but there is no PTC involved.

JR
I only learned this a couple of months ago when JR pointed this out on a previous occasion.
Always played it wrong before. And it makes an important difference, because not having the possibility to "auto-unconceal" that crucial enemy unit surely cuts down the potency of a Stuka by some degree.

von Marwitz