(E5.21/E5.23) Loading into boats

Ed Caswell

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
Four questions re loading into Boats (using ASLRBv2).

1. Does D5.43 (i.e., Inf attempting to enter a vehicle succeed only if they survive all attacks unpinned and in Good Order) apply to Inf attempting to load into a Beached Boat? E5.21 states Beached Boats are considered vehicles.

2. If the answer is "yes", are the Inf that fail to load left in the land hex where they attempted to load from? The boat, although straddling the water-land hexside, is in their land hex location per E5.21 (second sentence). Or, are they placed in the water obstacle hex in a "Water Line" existence condition per E5.531?

3. E5.23 says the LOS for fire at Beached Boats is traced to the center dot of the water hex. Is this true for potential passengers being shot at while loading?

4. Can a Snap Shot be taken at units trying to load into a boat along the hexside being crossed? Per E5.21, units loading into a Boat pay one MF for loading into a Boat plus any MF required to cross the hexside the Boat is Beached on.

The Chap "E" rules re Boats have driven me crazy for many years. Maybe I can find the sanity I need in this Forum. Thaks much.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ed Caswell said:
Maybe I can find the sanity I need in this Forum.
Maybe, but not from me. I will play LC scenarios, but nothing with boats. Chapter E is such a mess; without a doubt the vaguest set of rules in the entire rulebook. Give me Chapter G anyday.

Sorry for the unhelpful post.

WaterRabbit

Reaction score
Country
llGreenland
Ed Caswell said:
Four questions re loading into Boats (using ASLRBv2).

1. Does D5.43 (i.e., Inf attempting to enter a vehicle succeed only if they survive all attacks unpinned and in Good Order) apply to Inf attempting to load into a Beached Boat? E5.21 states Beached Boats are considered vehicles.
Yes, why wouldn't it ?

Ed Caswell said:
2. If the answer is "yes", are the Inf that fail to load left in the land hex where they attempted to load from? The boat, although straddling the water-land hexside, is in their land hex location per E5.21 (second sentence). Or, are they placed in the water obstacle hex in a "Water Line" existence condition per E5.531?.
This is no different that trying to get onto a half-track. If Pinned, they are pinned in the location they were trying to leave. If for some reason they were in the water (i.e. they were Fording) they would be immune to Pin. If they are broken or went Berserk, they would fail to load and go from there.

Ed Caswell said:
3. E5.23 says the LOS for fire at Beached Boats is traced to the center dot of the water hex. Is this true for potential passengers being shot at while loading?
Since (if on land) they must cross the hexside to enter the boat, you would trace LOS to Infantry trying to enter the boat to the land hex center dot. Obviously if they were in the water you would trace it to the water hex dot.

Ed Caswell said:
4. Can a Snap Shot be taken at units trying to load into a boat along the hexside being crossed? Per E5.21, units loading into a Boat pay one MF for loading into a Boat plus any MF required to cross the hexside the Boat is Beached on.
No, A8.15 "...LOS to entire hexside that was crossed by the moving unit in entering a on-board hex". The passengers are not entering a hex, they are entering a vehicle.

Ed Caswell said:
The Chap "E" rules re Boats have driven me crazy for many years. Maybe I can find the sanity I need in this Forum. Thaks much.
With all due respect to Brian, the Boat rules in Chapter E are a direct extension of the Vehicle rules in Chapter D. If you take them in that context, they are much simpler than the LC rules, which IMHO, are more complicated than they need to be.