E4 Ski Troops

mgenberg

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If an SSR designates a certain side as being ski-capable (E4.2), but does not specify any ski counters in the OB (such as scenario G12) does this mean any units which you wish to actually use skis during the scenario must be so equipped during setup?

It seems somewhat obvious that this is the case, but thought I'd just seek confirmation from the collective wisdom.

TIA.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe you are correct.

Sure as anything, someone will disagree. ;)

Sam "What do I know"

Warman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
NRBH. I would say that by default each unit has ski's. Would only make since if they were by SSR, ski capable.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
4.2 SKI MODE: The specialrules for ski troops apply only to those scenariosin whichGround or DeepSnow is present. Ski-capable units (those beginning a scenario with ski counters or that pass a ski-use dr (4.21) may be on foot, on skis, or transported by any other normal means when not in ski mode. Units on skis are in ski mode and are referred to as Skiers. Skiers are identified by being placed on ski counters. Ski troops may switch between ski and footlPassenger (or Rider) mode only during their own MPhlRtPh/APh. There is no cost for switching from ski to foot mode, but it costs two MF to switch from foot to ski mode. Normal CX restrictions and penalties (A4.72) apply to units switching to ski mode and advancing (or vice versa) in the same APh. Vehicle crews never start a scenario with skis.
If units are designated by SSR or DYO purchase as ski capable, they start with skis. The implication comes from the last sentence, that vehicle crews never start with skis. Note that:

421 SKIS: When not in ski mode, skis are carried atop a unit at a cost of one PP. A unit cannot carry skis in excess of its own usage requirements.
The unit must have the skis in order to ski. They must start possessed.