E2.3 LOS/Range Restriction for Interrogation (E2)

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Just one question about E2.3:

"No unit/Fortification is revealed if it is both out of LOS of the Prisoner and more than eight hexes away".

Now I always took that to mean the HIP/? had to be both within 8 hexes and LOS. But re-reading that my opponent and I came up with that it meant:

• If within 8 hexes and out of LOS it was revealed
  • If beyond 8 hexes but in LOS it was revealed
Both situation for closest HIP/? only.

Is that reading correct?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
"both out of LOS of the Prisoner and more than eight hexes away" :
  • both means the two conditions must be met.
  • and confirms the necessity to meet the two conditions

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Would have been easier to understand in the positive inclusive, not a negative exclusive.

Revealed if either in LOS at any distance or out of LOS but within 8 hexes.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Just one question about E2.3:

"No unit/Fortification is revealed if it is both out of LOS of the Prisoner and more than eight hexes away".

Now I always took that to mean the HIP/? had to be both within 8 hexes and LOS. But re-reading that my opponent and I came up with that it meant:

• If within 8 hexes and out of LOS it was revealed
  • If beyond 8 hexes but in LOS it was revealed
Both situation for closest HIP/? only.

Is that reading correct?
You Left out
Its LOS that it can reach in ITS next Mph. so its MPH +8hexes

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Use De Morgan's Laws:
Not revealed = (out of LOS) AND (> 8 hexes away)
negate both sides
not( Not revealed) = Revealed = not( (out of LOS) AND (> 8 hexes away))
= not(out of LOS) OR not(> 8 hexes away)
= (in LOS) OR (<= 8 hexes away)

"A unit/Fortification is revealed if it is either in LOS of the Prisoner, or eight or fewer hexes away".

BTW, we could have avoided all the "or" vs "and/or" confusion by rephrasing everything in terms of only NAND or NOR. :p

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
BTW, we could have avoided all the "or" vs "and/or" confusion by rephrasing everything in terms of only NAND or NOR. :p
Logic? In an ASL forum? Sorry, we're here to pick and nits and get morally outraged by them. -- jim

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Use De Morgan's Laws:
Not revealed = (out of LOS) AND (> 8 hexes away)
negate both sides
not( Not revealed) = Revealed = not( (out of LOS) AND (> 8 hexes away))
= not(out of LOS) OR not(> 8 hexes away)
= (in LOS) OR (<= 8 hexes away)

"A unit/Fortification is revealed if it is either in LOS of the Prisoner, or eight or fewer hexes away".

Right, but the Unit can't move OUT of his hex...BUT if was on the bottom level of a 3rd level building is "allowed" to move up to LEVEL 3 to reveal, as that location is still within its own hex.
AND that if there were no stairwell but a stairwell ADJ. Then the unit may "move" up the adjacent stairwell to reenter its previous HEX to get up a higher level in its starting position.

Correct?

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Right, but the Unit can't move OUT of his hex...BUT if was on the bottom level of a 3rd level building is "allowed" to move up to LEVEL 3 to reveal, as that location is still within its own hex.
AND that if there were no stairwell but a stairwell ADJ. Then the unit may "move" up the adjacent stairwell to reenter its previous HEX to get up a higher level in its starting position.

Correct?
Assuming it had the movement factors to get to the upper Level Location in a theoretical MPh, you are correct. If as in your example, the unit was a Squad/HS using a stairwell in an Adjacent Location to get to a Level 3, it could get from Level 1 to Level 3 if it were to CX. Of course, this assumes the Stairwell is ADJACENT. -- jim

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think Sparafucil3 and Stewart have it right. I think the "could conceivably reach in its next MPh" includes moving out of its current hex to use a stairwell. So a non-CX non-inexperienced MMC captured in 1G4h0 could conceivably DT in its hypothetical next MPh to G3 - G3h1 - G3h2 - G4h2 (6MF). One captured in 1E4h0 can't reach an upper level location of E4 so it's limited to LOS from ground level of E4.