E1.941 SHADOWS

SteelDragon

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have attached a screenshot from PB2 Howard's Men. Are hexes W13, W14 and W15 "blind" hexes from the vehicle Blaze in hex Y14, per rule E1.941 SHADOWS?
I believe the answer is no, even though units in these hexes would not be able to see a unit at ground level in Y14. The Blaze would burn high enough and the hill would actually have enough of a gradual slope to have these hexes be illuminated. However, it all depends on how you define "terrain obstacle of >= one level..."

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
The key seems to be this in the rule E1.941:

Any such LOS obstacle in a Blaze's Illuminated Zone therefore creates a non-illuminated hex(es) behind it, just as if each Blaze counter were instead a viewing unit whose LOS to those hexes was blocked by that obstacle.

According to the diagram, if the blaze were a unit, the LOS would be blocked to all three hexes, therefore the illumination would also be blocked. Anyway, how do we know the blaze is going to soar so high above the wreck? As far as I know, no other blazes have some kind of 'height', even in other terrain, so why would a wreck blaze? Can you point to such a rule?

edit -- The other matter, of course, is that hills don't have gradual slopes, they are treated as plateaus throughout the game, so for the purposes of this one rule I see no reason to play it otherwise.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I've always played that one draws the LOS for Shadow purposes from the Level of where the Blaze counter is, since the rule says "Blaze counter were instead a viewing unit whose LOS". I.e., treat the Blaze counter as a unit and draw LOS from the Level the Blaze counter is in.

So I think the hill hexes in the W row are not Illuminated.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I've always played that one draws the LOS for Shadow purposes from the Level of where the Blaze counter is, since the rule says "Blaze counter were instead a viewing unit whose LOS". I.e., treat the Blaze counter as a unit and draw LOS from the Level the Blaze counter is in.

So I think the hill hexes in the W row are not Illuminated.
I may have stated it before but VASL is a remarkable aid to Night scenarios. Even with some shortcomings, which this thread demonstrates, it is still appears to be excellent. Nicely done to all those who contributed to this endeavor.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I may have stated it before but VASL is a remarkable aid to Night scenarios. Even with some shortcomings, which this thread demonstrates, it is still appears to be excellent. Nicely done to all those who contributed to this endeavor.
Just playing Howard's Men and came across this thread. Given the terms of the following Q&A, does it not follow that the hill hexes W13,nW14 and W15 are illuminated? I think that the same principle applies.

E1.94, E1.941, R4.1 - Does a blaze in a cellar illuminate adjacent hexes, such as Level 0 open ground? Or just ADJACENT cellar locations and the Level 0 building level directly above?
A. Illuminates hexes within 2 hexes of itself, plus all levels of it's own hex.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
"Illuminates hexes within 2 hexes of itself" - this part of the answer has to be read with all the other limitations/requirements in mind, IMO. The normal rules for Shadows still apply.

"CAN Illuminate hexes within 2 hexes of itself"

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
"Illuminates hexes within 2 hexes of itself" - this part of the answer has to be read with all the other limitations/requirements in mind, IMO. The normal rules for Shadows still apply.

"CAN Illuminate hexes within 2 hexes of itself"
Obviously normal obstacle shadow rules apply eg a building in a hex adjacent to the cellar hex would create a shadow in the hex behind it but the Q&A does seem to be saying that, barring such an obstacle, there is illumination two hexes away irrespective of elevation, since that is what the original question appeared to be asking. How else could a cellar blaze illuminate a location two hexes away?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The answer - to me - seems to equate a Cellar Blaze as that of a Blaze at Level 0. Maybe a new Q&A for clarification is in order....

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The answer - to me - seems to equate a Cellar Blaze as that of a Blaze at Level 0. Maybe a new Q&A for clarification is in order....
Q&A sent. If they are not illuminated, I will let Doug Rim know in case it is possible to amend the VASL programme to reflect this.