E1.92 Starshell Usage

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can a BU Passenger fire a starshell? I think yes, but if there are any vehicles that are CT with a passanger capacity, it would seem odd.

WaterRabbit

Reaction score
Country
llGreenland
The crew must be CE to fire a Starshell. This is one of those situations that the trite COWTRA doesn't provide an answer. :cheeky:

Logic would suggest that the answer is no. The rules only restrict an AFV - not PRC. Therefore, an AFV must be CE to fire a Starshell regardless of who is firing that starshell. The crew and passengers must share the same status CE/BU except under some rare instances.

Also note the only vehicles that are Closed-Top, AFVs, and can carry passengers are: the American LVT2, the LCI(S) [technically a LC not an AFV], the French Renault UE APC. All of the other vehicles are unarmored.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Brians' question came through me, wondering if I could have a passenger in a Shohatsu fire a SS while zooming towards the shore at top speed.

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Reepicheep i guessed you have been chatting with him... know you are desperate for the points on this one! :laugh:

They cannot fire SS's but i am currently looking for the rule... give me a sec... got it

G12.124 "Aside fron (un)loading the only actins allowed by LC Passengers are MC/TC resolution, unhooking of Guns, wreck removal, and SW transfer/recovery.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BU passengers firing starshells

Hello:
Two rules taken together show that the answer is no for E1.922 cases 1, 2 & 3 though yes if D6.61 applies. First D5.33 last sentence [second edition ASLRB]:

"An AFV's crew and Passengers always become CE or BU
together ..."

Which is nothing in itself, but it implies that in order for a BU MMC to fire a starshell the AFV must also be BU. Now, if one looks at D6.61 last sentence:

" .... Otherwise, BU Passengers may not *fire* ..."

In conjunction with 1.921 third sentence:

"Before a CE AFV with no Armor Leader, or a MMC, can *fire*
a starshell ..."

I think the keyword here is *fire* (I see no difference in the use of 'fire' between these two sentences other than starshell firers are generally not penalized {marked with fire markers for example, or prevented from moving...}). However I would argue that a BU MMC (or SMC) can fire a starshell if the specific conditions in the first half of D6.61 apply (if the BU passengers are being fired upon by unit(s) having an elevation advantage > range for example). Personally my opinion is: I don't think BU MMC passengers have much of a LOS [thus the restriction of elevation > range in D6.61, which would also apply to BU MMC passengers returning fire (ie; recipricocity) but I didn't see any specific wording in the ASLRB as to a BU MMC passenger's LOS], though the qualification of *fire* connecting these two rules is enough for the 'no' answer with the exception for D6.61 (ie target is at a location in which elevation is > than range).

Also note that the D6.6 rules apply specifically to armored halftracks, so starshells being fired by BU passengers in other types of vehicles (Landing craft for example, as per a previous poster) might be governed by different rules with respect to this specific case of starshell firing. Take it easy,
rk