E1.8 Gunflash as target

If a friendly unit fires at an enemy unit in its own location/hex, thereby placing a gunflash on the friendly unit, can another friendly unit (beyond NVR) then affect the enemy unit if it fires "at" the gunflash?

Brian W

I think the exceptions are E1.82-9; however, I don't see ATT. Maybe you were thinking FFE/SR?

jrv

Vare, legiones redde!
I think the exceptions are E1.82-9; however, I don't see ATT. Maybe you were thinking FFE/SR?
I would think if you used ATT at a hex with a Location marked with a gunflash you would also affect other Locations in that hex. It would be strange if the ground and second levels of a building contained gunflashes but not the first floor that the former two would be attacked by ATT but not the latter. Or perhaps that is a reality argument, and the rules diverge from what would seem to be common sense here.

JR

Brian W

I would think if you used ATT at a hex with a Location marked with a gunflash you would also affect other Locations in that hex
I understood gunflashes to be marking locations to fire at, but I see we are talking about what is affected by firing at gunflahses. In any case, ATT cannot affect units out of LOS with one exception for MTRs.

Eagle4ty

I understood gunflashes to be marking locations to fire at, but I see we are talking about what is affected by firing at gunflahses. In any case, ATT cannot affect units out of LOS with one exception for MTRs.
Yes, I was thinking of Mortars. However, per C3.33 it doesn't seem it would make a difference as the effects are on units within the "hex" [EXC: for those immune per 3.4]. So if a location was marked with a gunflash, any ATT attack would also hit any other units in the hex that were within its LOS (Prep/DF markers being considered gunflashes as well), that is within NVR or illuminated locations. I believe that if the "gunflash" was placed upon a unit outside of the engaging unit's NVR/Illumination no other units but a mortar would be able to hit other units outside the location of the gunflash, but all could still effect unknown units in that location.