E1.54 Routing (at night)

RaphaelC

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hello All,

Section E1.54 says 'A DM unit retains DM until it makes a Rally/Self-Rally Original DR less than or equal to its current printed morale.

So, does this mean that a unit broken in the enemy turn, and with a broken morale of 8, must roll 8 or less in its following Rally Phase just to remove the DM, and then it remains broken until it has another chance to rally in its next turn? Essentially ignoring the +4 of the DM counter.

Thanks,

Raphael

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
You are right - Night is a bad time to be fighting a battle! But to be clear, if a broken, DM unit with an 8 morale attempts to rally, he would rally on a DR 4 or lower, lose the DM (but not rally) on a DR 5-8, and neither rally nor lose the DM on a DR 9 and above.

Naturally, leadership and the -1 terrain bonus (A10.61) may still apply.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Section E1.54 says 'A DM unit retains DM until it makes a Rally/Self-Rally Original DR less than or equal to its current printed morale.

So, does this mean that a unit broken in the enemy turn, and with a broken morale of 8, must roll 8 or less in its following Rally Phase just to remove the DM, and then it remains broken until it has another chance to rally in its next turn? Essentially ignoring the +4 of the DM counter.

There are three possible results from a rally/self-rally attempt by a unit currently under DM: the unit can rally, the unit can not rally but remove DM, and the unit can not rally and not remove DM. If the unit's rally DR plus modifiers is < its broken morale level, it rallies. If it does not rally but its original DR is < its printed morale level, it remains broken but loses its DM marker (assuming it is not ADJACENT to an known enemy unit, etc.; if not in woods/building it may opt to keep its DM to continue routing). If the unit rolls > its printed morale level on its rally DR, it does not lose its DM even if in woods/buliding.

JR

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
If the unit rolls > its printed morale level on its rally DR, it does not lose its DM even if in woods/buliding.

JR
Unless, of course, the terrain bonus (plus potential leadership) is enough to actually rally the unit (which is what I meant above). If the unit doesn't rally, however, all that is considered is the Original (i.e., not modified) DR.

RaphaelC

Reaction score
Country
ll
Thank You Both.

To be honest, I would never have come to that result from reading the rule as written.

Raphael

RaphaelC

Reaction score
Country
ll
Thanks,

My opponent is still certain that as soon as his best Leader passes the relevant dr and gains Freedom of Movement it automatically grants it to his entire OoB.

Raphael (Currently floundering in the dark in more ways than one)!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
My opponent is still certain that as soon as his best Leader passes the relevant dr and gains Freedom of Movement it automatically grants it to his entire OoB.
It would if the entire OoB were set up in the same location.

JR