DZ:SME / Set-Up

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
With respect to Objective Hexes and Setup Areas, I think there is a timing aspect you are overlooking.
Presuming you have ended a CG Date, RePh 4.405 is when you determine the Setup Areas, and AFAIK, they won't change until the next RePh phase.
I don't believe it intended, or can be read as supporting, allowing purchases to retroactively modify Setup-Areas/Isolation/etc.

As for the broader comment re: proofreading/playtesting clarifications, I am inclined to agree, but I also think one is likely to arrive at the correct interpretation if one simply looks at the map and the directions of reinforcements, etc. Put another way, a good pinch of RAI vs RAW goes a long way in the CGs. Definitely could use some tightening up of the language but I don't think it is as bad as some people make it seem. YMMV

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Presuming you have ended a CG Date, RePh 4.405 is when you determine the Setup Areas, and AFAIK, they won't change until the next RePh phase.
This is a very sound argument. I was just looking for a way to make these Objective Hexes, which by reading the setup instructions seem to have very limited placement, a bit more useful...

Put another way, a good pinch of RAI vs RAW goes a long way in the CGs.
Yeah, it's just that this comes in some contradiction with 30+ years of "read as written" in the game's rules.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
This is a very sound argument. I was just looking for a way to make these Objective Hexes, which by reading the setup instructions seem to have very limited placement, a bit more useful...
CG12 seems pretty clear cut per the previous reply. What issue are you seeing there?
As I read it, and as I understand the intent, you can drop Objective Hexes anywhere you want. IMO, they are intended to be dropped outside of Setup Areas.