DZ: Sainte-Mere-Eglise Bocage Gap Question

Stever

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
AT first look at the maps, me and my opponent thought the brown markings on bocage were just paths but now after reading the SSR's we realize that they are actually gaps in the bocage (SM2.1).

Regular rules (9.3) say that if the LOS goes through the gap, then only a non-moving unit gets the TEM of the bocage.

Now my 1st question is regarding LOS through the gaps. In the next example can the 4-4-7 in X10 see the 6-6-6 in X6 through the gap on the X7-X8 hexide?
After reading the rules, I doubt it but I would like to get a more experienced opinion than mine.

My next question relates to the following example. Can The 4-6-8 in AA5 see through the gaps to the 6-6-7 in AA9? Also in the movement phase of the Americans, could the 4-6-8 lay down a firelane through the gaps? I might be fishing here, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Last edited:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
My next question relates to the following example. Can The 4-6-8 in AA5 see through the gaps to the 6-6-7 in AA9?
Yes, per the normal bocage+gaps rules.

Also in the movement phase of the Americans, could the 4-4-7 lay down a firelane through the gaps? I might be fishing here, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Yes they can.

Basically, the Chapter SM rules for Bocage and gaps follow the Chapter B rules.

Stever

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks Klas for the response, it put me on the right path. I think I was overthinking this as the answer is quite clear in A6.1, which is much more of a basic rule than I was looking for.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AT first look at the maps, me and my opponent thought the brown markings on bocage were just paths but now after reading the SSR's we realize that they are actually gaps in the bocage (SM2.1).
View attachment 28325

Regular rules (9.3) say that if the LOS goes through the gap, then only a non-moving unit gets the TEM of the bocage.

View attachment 28326

Now my 1st question is regarding LOS through the gaps. In the next example can the 4-4-7 in X10 see the 6-6-6 in X6 through the gap on the X7-X8 hexide?
After reading the rules, I doubt it but I would like to get a more experienced opinion than mine.

View attachment 28327
Not without the 666 claiming WA, correct?

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks like that is Mandatory...unless there's woods/building beneath the counter....
I've been told 65 times this weekend that WA is not mandatory in bocage. That you must claim it. That's how you can run around adjacent to it without losing concealment, gain concealment in open ground without a roll, etc.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I personally think that we were playing it wrong but the players are very experienced.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
They are playing it wrong. It's even in the B9.55 example:
"... During the British MPh, the concealed 3-3-8 uses Non-Assault Movement and enters K4 without claiming WA (due to the woods TEM), and is therefore
out of the 4-4-7’s LOS. It continues to L4 where it must claim WA (9.323), thereby moving within the 4-4-7’s LOS, but still retaining Concealment since the movement is treated as Assault Movement for “?”-loss purposes (9.55). ..."

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I've been told 65 times this weekend that WA is not mandatory in bocage. That you must claim it. That's how you can run around adjacent to it without losing concealment, gain concealment in open ground without a roll, etc.
There's no exception for Bocge in B9.323.

Blaze

Final Fired
Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States
WA rules come into play more so with Bocage. Dropping it voluntarily or involuntarily comes into play more often.

Bocage is one of my favorite terrain special rules there are. Especially when you're tired of urban fighting. I love buildings and woods along Bocage. Drop WA to pseudo-skulk if tactically necessary!

Once you get the hang of the WA and Bocage rules, playing them becomes a second nature.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They are playing it wrong. It's even in the B9.55 example:
"... During the British MPh, the concealed 3-3-8 uses Non-Assault Movement and enters K4 without claiming WA (due to the woods TEM), and is therefore
out of the 4-4-7’s LOS. It continues to L4 where it must claim WA (9.323), thereby moving within the 4-4-7’s LOS, but still retaining Concealment since the movement is treated as Assault Movement for “?”-loss purposes (9.55). ..."
They were dropping in their rally phase and picking it back up in my rally phase so I didn't have any targets during their movement behind bocage. Very little TEM on the map. It seemed very gamey.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
They were dropping in their rally phase and picking it back up in my rally phase so I didn't have any targets during their movement behind bocage. Very little TEM on the map. It seemed very gamey.
Well, if there's no in-hex TEM behind the Bocage - one can't drop WA voluntary.

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As mentioned above, the SME maps have very few Bocage hexsides that also provide in hex TEM. Therefore, not being subject to mandatory WA would be pretty rare.

Last edited:

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As mentioned above, the SME maps have very few Bocage hexsides that also provide in hex TEM. Therefore, not being subject to mandatory WA would be pretty rare.
Exactly what I thought. I don't have enough seniority to make claims about the rules. 😂 You should see some of these guys when they shoot with afvs. 😂 I moved, I'm buttoned up, you're small, you're in the woods, there's plus 2 smoke. I think I need an 11 to hit. 😂

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Exactly what I thought. I don't have enough seniority to make claims about the rules. 😂 You should see some of these guys when they shoot with afvs. 😂 I moved, I'm buttoned up, you're small, you're in the woods, there's plus 2 smoke. I think I need an 11 to hit. 😂
I'd look for some new opponents....but that's just me. Sounds like they are not playing ASL?