Dystopian Wars

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Was surfing DakkaDakka and came across this new game called Dystopian Wars, a steampunk warfare game.

Imagine a world similar to our own, but subtly different. Now imagine the year is 1870 and the Industrial Revolution occurred decades earlier than in our own world. Technology is far advanced, and in many cases, unrecognisable, which has led to the development of fantastic naval vessels, hulking land ships and terror from the skies in the form of airships and war balloons.

The Dystopian Wars game is set in a Victorian Steampunk world and we have designed the rules to ensure a fun game with a large selection of high quality models in a couple of hours. The rules support Naval, Aerial and Land models from the outset, so that you can set up battles and scenarios in any combat setting.
Below are some pictures of the naval forces. In this link are pictures of what the ground forces look like (no pictures of infantry as far as I can tell).
View attachment 32025
View attachment 32026
View attachment 32027
View attachment 32028

Some more background:
THE SEEDS OF GLOBAL WAR!

In Europe, the Prussian Empire and the Kingdom of Britannia are mired in a bloody war of attrition for control of the mainland, whilst expeditionary forces clash amongst their colonies. Throughout the Pacific the Federated States of America (FSA) and the Empire of the Blazing Sun continue their struggle for dominance, raiding the colonies of the European powers.

It is a time of unrest, distrust and fear - technology has leapt far beyond anyone's wildest imaginings, issues of morality abandoned in the pursuit of power. Tesla's electricity has made life easier, providing light and warmth, but now also powers military vehicles and weapons. Darwin's biological experiments have yielded livestock that can feed all the hungry, as well as monsters that are all too readily unleashed upon the battlefield. And the heart of this technological innovation stands Sturgeon's Element 270, used to create metals as light as fabric, or as hard as diamonds.

With changing times come changing tactics. Man cannot compete with the Iron Behemoths that now tread across the battlefield, at least not alone. With improved communications, there has been a revolution in the armed forces of the world. Combined arms are now the most widely accepted tactics in use, despite some die-hard commanders still stubbornly clinging to their old ways...More here
Last but not least, a battle report detailing the naval combat aspect of the game:
Empire of the Blazing Sun vs Federate States of America

Last edited:

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good find. I've been thinking about getting back into minis myself, albeit, I never really cared for steampunk.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah it looked interesting until I read about the whole, "monsters" thing. That turned me off but the naval aspect looked pretty cool but I ever look for some type of fleet game I will probably do Battlefleet Gothic. And yeah next summer I am going to start Warhammer so I'm looking forward to that. I also bought some minis for Flames of War and tried a demo game but it felt too flat in that both sides just walked right up to each other. With 40k it felt like there was more room for maneuver although I don't have much experience with it it still felt like much better than FoW though I LOVE the models they have made.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah it looked interesting until I read about the whole, "monsters" thing. That turned me off but the naval aspect looked pretty cool but I ever look for some type of fleet game I will probably do Battlefleet Gothic.
I remember about a year ago that GW said they were going to relaunch BG with new rules, etc. Did they ever do that?

And yeah next summer I am going to start Warhammer so I'm looking forward to that. I also bought some minis for Flames of War and tried a demo game but it felt too flat in that both sides just walked right up to each other. With 40k it felt like there was more room for maneuver although I don't have much experience with it it still felt like much better than FoW though I LOVE the models they have made.
That's an interesting observation. How come you felt that why? It almost sounds like the game is designed around CQB.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I remember about a year ago that GW said they were going to relaunch BG with new rules, etc. Did they ever do that?
It's supposed to be happening this month I believe, the rumors I've read have stated that it should around the 27th or something. The great thing is that it's free for download so I actually own all of the previous edition heh.

That's an interesting observation. How come you felt that why? It almost sounds like the game is designed around CQB.
In the game I played it was a large game and the board was set up from end to end with troops and vehicles facing each other. The other team just walked up to us and my team just shot them up the entire way in. In the AAR's I've read I got the same impression. Granted it might be due to the 'technological' difference but unless there was a lot of armor in a FoW game, it gave me the feeling of watching two stubborn boxers punch eachother's lights out till one got knocked out.

CDR_G

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
I play a fair amount of DW. There is a lot of straight at 'em blasting. A lot of range band mechanics and matching of advantage.
However there is plenty of tactics and such built into it saw well. It has some advantages over most naval games which have historically accurate firepower ranges, not so in DW. This makes it playable and interesting. I have been making scenarios based on Squad Leader type scenarios. with asymmetric victory conditions.