DYO Scenario Builder

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
[h=5]DYO Scenario Builder based on "Going All Out: Design Your Own (My Way)" by Greg Schmittgens and Charile Kibler
View attachment 38281[/h]
Cool little gizmo you've made there. Well done.

I've always felt that the one weakness of the Going All Out method is that nationalities are chosen first. I think choosing the date first, then legitimate theatres for that date, THEN nationalities for date/theatre. That way, you don't have to "re-roll" either date or theatre if the initial result is (Pitman's favourite word) ahistorical.

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States
See below on that page for a listing of the nationalities and their historocity by date. :)

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
See below on that page for a listing of the nationalities and their historocity by date. :)
Oh yes, I saw that. But what would really be cool is if the process started with year and month, then from that the pull down for theatre was restricted, and then from THAT, the nationalities were restricted.

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States
Oh yes, I saw that. But what would really be cool is if the process started with year and month, then from that the pull down for theatre was restricted, and then from THAT, the nationalities were restricted.
Thought about that, but the Excel lookups would have gotten a bit crazy and I've written so many Excel macros lately that the thought of more VB Script almost made me physically ill...

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
This file opens with a postcard-sized window and I cannot increase its size. Neither can I drag the window around my screen. Nor can I close it by clikcing on the red dot icon (Mac). Also saying it is a ver 4.0 that has macros which cannot be disabled (tried opening without macros running). Is it broken or somehow locked? WTF ???

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
Interesting. Note that Western Front 1940 has blank setup & victory conditions. So something wrong with implementation...

Why no 2x2 board configuration? Is that just "not done" in ASL scenarios?

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting. Note that Western Front 1940 has blank setup & victory conditions. So something wrong with implementation...

This was probably done as a labor of love and that part (Western Front 1940) has not been completed yet or extended to include (2 x 2 boards)

Say thank you to the man for what you received for free - with no effort expended on your part

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
Thought about that, but the Excel lookups would have gotten a bit crazy and I've written so many Excel macros lately that the thought of more VB Script almost made me physically ill...
Good job so far. Been years since I did any macros.

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States

Question: What software are you using to look at this?

Answer: There is no 2x2 board configuration because this is a DIRECT implementation of an old General article (see "Title Page") and it did not have one.

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
Question: What software are you using to look at this?

Answer: There is no 2x2 board configuration because this is a DIRECT implementation of an old General article (see "Title Page") and it did not have one.
1) question still stands -- do ASL scenarios just not have 2x2 ?
2) no reference to "The General" anywhere I can see.

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States
1) question still stands -- do ASL scenarios just not have 2x2 ?
2) no reference to "The General" anywhere I can see.
Answer: ASL Scenarios have all kinds of board configurations including 2x2 and larger. The DYO Article I used that contains the random scenario generation tables does not list this as a random board possibility. Not that it is not possible, but as I said, the spreadsheet is a DIRECT implementation of the article's method.
There are two "tabs" on the excel file. One is labeled "Title Page". On the title page it lists the General article (both Title and Authors), so I'm somewhat confused as to your question.

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The western front works just fine.

One thing that must be done is to pick the right year and the correct sides (like US vs Germany in July of 1944). Then hit recalculate and everything comes out ok

There is a chart which explains the valid dates per nationality (no rocket surgery involved)

The title tab references the General article

Last edited: