Dust 514

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't know why I am even posting this - I'm still sore over how CCP dumped their PC loyalists in favor of the easy console cash. Still, I guess it makes sense to keep tabs on this game as it is probably gonna wind up on the PC at some point - and probably as a F2P. :D

DUST 514 Interview: Changing Console Shooters Forever

We haven’t heard a great deal about DUST 514 since it was shown at E3 2011,
other than that it’s a first-person shooter connected to the vast sci-fi universe of PC MMO EVE Online, and that it’s coming exclusively to PlayStation 3. When developers CCP made the trip from Iceland to London to outline their vision for this new addition to their immensely popular EVE universe, I came out of the meeting amazed at the scale of the project. Suffice to say, DUST 514 is not just another shooter.

After the meeting, I interrogated Brandon Laurino, Executive Producer at CCP,
to find out exactly why PlayStation 3 owners should be getting excited.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dust 514 beta applications are now being taken from the EvE Online Community:

Dust 514 beta applications open to Eve Online subscribers

CCP’s ambitious shooter, Dust 514, will take place in Eve Online’s persistent universe. It will let space-borne generals on PC launch grand land-grabbing actions on Eve’s planets, essentially ordering console players will fight and die for the glory of Eve’s massive corporations. It’ll be exclusive to Playstation 3 (for a while at least). If you’re an Eve subscriber, and you happen to own a PS3, you can apply for a spot on the Dust 514 beta now.
While I like the general vision of expanding the Eve universe to other games, particularly a ground-warfare title, I still think this game is going to spell trouble for CCP in the long run. I just don't like how it is going to exclude not just the PC community that made CCP what they are today, but also the important Xbox community.

But I'm a pessimist. :)

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mercenary Pack announced:

http://www.gamesquad.com/news/ccp-reveals-dust-514-mercenary-pack

Today CCP Games announced the brand-new Mercenary Pack for its upcoming free-to-play massively multiplayer first-person shooter, DUST 514, scheduled for release later this year exclusively on the PlayStation3 computer entertainment system. The Mercenary Pack provides players with an arsenal of gear, game currency and a booster to expand their opportunities on the battlefield. The pack also includes exclusive items, rewarding early adopters with uniquely styled armor and weapons, in addition to an all-access pass to the closed-beta program running throughout the summer.
I am curious to see how well DUST is going to do in the competitive world of console shooters. I am sure CCP isn't all that worried, though, as I expect that their Plan B is to bring it to the PC as a F2P title sooner or later anyway.

msears

Recruit
Reaction score
I would play it on xbox for sure, persistent shooters can be a blast.