DUST 514 Completely Screws Microsoft

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, I already heard about it on the EVE forums. My guess is that Microsoft's draconian rules governing games on Xbox Live would not have permitted CCP to update the game regularly. Sony, however, allows developers to keep control of their games.

It sucks, but that's the sorry state of affairs in the console world. This is exactly the type of thing you get when big publishers control what games get made instead of game designers.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Stranger and stranger....

E3 2011: Prediction: Dust 514 will be on PC a year after its PS3 release

Dust 514 is a PS3 exclusive. Why isn’t it coming to PC?

Thomas Farrer, Dust 514 producer: "We’re looking at trying to expand the players that occupy New Eden, so for now we’re focusing on PlayStation."

Halldor Fannar, CCP’s Chief Technical Officer: "We wanted to find an audience that was kind of diagonally opposite of what we already have, instead of trying to cannibalize what we already have. So that’s initially what we’re trying to do. If you look at all the people that actually tried EVE, it’s a really large number, so it also tells us that there is interest out there for people to experience this world, but the gameplay style, whether it’s being on PC or whether it’s how you play, it doesn’t suit them. So we wanted to create something that’s very different. So we understand that the EVE players are thinking, ‘Oh man, I want to play this game but I need a PS3,’ but they have to understand that we’re also trying to build this game for a slightly different audience. So that’s the difference.

"For those of you who have tried EVE, you’ve probably seen that we don’t do a terribly good job in trying to explain it. We’re not going to get away with that in Dust, whereas if we were publishing it on PC, we would. Sony wouldn’t come over and say, ‘Guys, this is sensory overload, this is too much information…’. So that’s another reason why we’re doing it. We’re trying to cater to an audience and get them to… These games are always going to end up being pretty complex, but there’s a way to introduce people to them."

The thing about this answer is that it doesn’t quite make sense. Wanting to create an accessible experience is great, but there’s nothing actively stopping them from doing that on PC, and for all the motions towards making it easy to understand, Dust 514 is still complex. The audience for this kind of game – persistent, with classes people construct themselves, with huge battles, with micropayments – is traditionally a PC audience.

There’s also the casual use of the word “initially.” They wanted to find an audience that was different from EVE’s, so that’s “initially what we’re trying to do.” I followed up on that, asking them whether it meant there was a chance that Dust 514 would come to PC further down the line. Every CCP developer in the room smirked and looked off toward the middle distance, and the audience of journalists laughed.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks like DUST might go F2P (which means a PC conversion at some time, right?):

Dust 514 will require initial "cover charge"

"You're really getting the game for free but you have to pre-buy credits in the beginning," explains CCP CEO Hilmar Veigar Pétursson in an interview with Gamesindustry.biz. "We might go fully free-to-play down the line, but in the beginning we have a cover charge just to manage the initial launch of it.
This is a weird financial model.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What a surprise:

GDC 2012: CCP talks DUST 514 PC possibilities and World of Darkness development

While many EVE Online players aren't thrilled with DUST 514's PlayStation 3 exclusivity, there may be hope for a PC release yet. And while the devs weren't ready to make any official statements on the spot, a bit of wink-nudging indicates that a PC release may still be in the cards. As the devs note, mouse and keyboard controls are already supported in the PS3 version of the title. "I wonder why we did that," Hilmar joked during the interview.
To not invite their core PC audience would be a huge mistake. I've been thinking about re-subing to Eve again but haven't because it really annoys me when I realize that as a PC only gamer, I will only be able to access half of New Eden once DUST is released.