Dummy units when playing ASL rules/scenarios solo.

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hopefully this is in the right place - if not, mods, please move it.
Ok, I play games against myself but not under SASL rules. I play for fun and training ( rules! ). The biggest bar to this is when the defender has spare ? counters. I create dummy stacks and add ? counters to real stacks, and if I leave it a day ( after setup) I'm a bit unsure of which stacks are what....plus HIP and emplacement guns..nevertheless, you have to inspect them at some point..

Has anyone come up with a way round all of this ?
Bear in mind that these games are for getting used to the rules, but still...

TIA

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I play as if the opponent of the concealed units doesn't know the contents of those stacks.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One way to do this when using VASL: If provided with Dummy counters I'll double the Dummy counter count replacing the "bottom counters" (those beneath the top concealment counter) with a blank counter representing an actual stack with a "label" notation of what unit(s) it is supposed to represent (e.g. Sqd/HMG, 9-1 Ldr). Whenever I would contemplate activating that stack (or must), make a dr and on a dr=1-2 the Dummy stack is exchanged for the actual stack and the "actual stack" becomes a Dummy stack while a dr=3-6 it remains a Dummy stack. You don't necessarily have to double the number of dummy counters provided but it does give you a better FOW feel I think. The same procedure can be used for HIP units. It's a bit funky at 1st and there are times I use a RS dr to determine what unit the exchange is made for, especially if representing a single Sqd or HS, but it works well enough. It takes a bit of time to set up a scenario and may look and feel kind of weird at times but overall I feel it's worth the effort. I try to keep it as simple as possible.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've done something similar to @Eagle4ty . I'd record the dummy stacks, noting (for example) ?a or ?b is a LMG/447, and ?c or ?d is a 8-1, MMG/527, then roll to see if it was real when one of the dummy stacks had a good shot. You can't do everything solitaire that you could when playing another person, but it's a try.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On SASL FB page, there is a set of ASL Play by yourself v28 rules. It outlines a great way to play any two-player scenario solo.

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is there a text file or PDF that could be copied here? Some of us don't do F***Book.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hopefully this is in the right place - if not, mods, please move it.
Ok, I play games against myself but not under SASL rules. I play for fun and training ( rules! ). The biggest bar to this is when the defender has spare ? counters. I create dummy stacks and add ? counters to real stacks, and if I leave it a day ( after setup) I'm a bit unsure of which stacks are what....plus HIP and emplacement guns..nevertheless, you have to inspect them at some point..

Has anyone come up with a way round all of this ?
Bear in mind that these games are for getting used to the rules, but still...

TIA
These are the rules I use. The seem to work well.
@johnl

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Guys, thanks for the replies, very useful ! 👍