Dummy stacks and minefields

Dale m

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Was reading 12.11 and came across something I don't understand. It says:

Before announcing any mine attacks exposed by the movement of a stack topped by a"?", the DEFENDER may force the ATTACKER to momentarily reveal a non-Dummy unit in the stack to show that an actual force exists there. If he cannot, or if the stack is friendly to the DEFENDER, the Dummy stack is removed.

My question was going to be in what possible circumstances could a moving stack be friendly to the DEFENDER?

However, it could be a concealed DEFENDER's unit leaving a close combat (either after an ambush or withdrawing from melee).

Which leads to the next question, if this is taken at face value, a concealed DEFENDER that does this is eliminated while an unconcealed one would be merely attacked by the minefield. Is this really what is intended?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Was reading 12.11 and came across something I don't understand. It says:
Before announcing any mine attacks exposed by the movement of a stack topped by a"?", the DEFENDER may force the ATTACKER to momentarily reveal a non-Dummy unit in the stack to show that an actual force exists there. If he cannot, or if the stack is friendly to the DEFENDER, the Dummy stack is removed.

My question was going to be in what possible circumstances could a moving stack be friendly to the DEFENDER?

However, it could be a concealed DEFENDER's unit leaving a close combat (either after an ambush or withdrawing from melee).

Which leads to the next question, if this is taken at face value, a concealed DEFENDER that does this is eliminated while an unconcealed one would be merely attacked by the minefield. Is this really what is intended?
I think "DEFENDER" in this case is referring to the "owner" of the Minefield - but the wrong word/expression is used. And when it says "the stack is friendly" - "stack" is referring to a "Dummy stack".

Dale m

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
So you think DEFENDER should be "minefield's owner" or something similar.

I agree that it should only eliminate a dummy stack, the last part of the last sentence quoted makes it clear that only dummy stacks are removed this way. The clause uses "stack" to mean a dummy stack AND a stack topped by a "?" interchangeably and confusingly throughout.

It also makes no sense unless the minefield is known because why should my opponent suspect my stack is a dummy because it wasn't attacked by a minefield he doesn't know is there? Also, removal of the dummy would give away the minefield to an astute opponent (and aren't they all!).

Last edited:

Michael B

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Minefields are either hidden, on board with the mine only side up, or on board with the mine and mine factor side up. The first is normal for scenario at start, though SSRs may specify laying them out in the second condition. The second condition represents a minefield of which the other side is aware, but not yet knowing the extent, density , or nature of the mines. The third condition is exceedingly rare and represents an attacker with total knowledge of the mine field.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Case in point, I forgot where my minefields were yesterday and advanced two concealed stacks into them. Upon realising this I had to undergo a 6FP attack on the real stack, no effect, and removed the dummy stack.

Despite this, I then proceeded to try and advance another unit into a further minefield before Steve stopped me.

Stacks

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Case in point, I forgot where my minefields were yesterday and advanced two concealed stacks into them. Upon realising this I had to undergo a 6FP attack on the real stack, no effect, and removed the dummy stack.

Despite this, I then proceeded to try and advance another unit into a further minefield before Steve stopped me.
Are you trying to activate your opponent´s Sniper and then make a Sniper Check against him and kill him off, better try this tactic myself :)