Dummy Stacks and AP Mines

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Citizens:

Rule 28.1 states, in part: "The presence of a minefield is not revealed until a unit susceptible to that type of attack enters that minefield Location or an MMC discovers it by Searching."

Rule 28.41 states: "Whenever a unit enters/leaves a minefield hex, the owning player must announce a minefield attack vs the unit (as per A12.11) on the IFT, revealing the minefield factors involved only when necessary to verify the EFT results."

So what if I run my OWN Dummy stack through one of my OWN hidden AP Minefields? Dummy stacks count as "Units," so do they get attacked? That seems absurd. Also, the first rule says "a unit SUSCEPTIBLE to that type of attack." Are Dummy Units susceptible?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance,

Commie

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, your dummy units are "units" that must be attacked [EXC: By SSR or a HR to the contrary], however, if the minefield attack DR is too great to induce a PTC or greater, there is no reason to announce the strength of the minefield nor reveal that the units in question are dummy units.

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
But if an enemy unit enters and is concealed you can ask if it is a dummy before resolving the attack.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
So what if I run my OWN Dummy stack through one of my OWN hidden AP Minefields?
Then your Dummy stack is eliminated.

A12.11:
"...Before announcing any mine attacks exposed by the movement of a stack topped by a “?”, the DEFENDER may force the ATTACKER to momentarily reveal a non-Dummy unit in that stack to show that an actual force exists there. If he cannot, or if the stack is friendly to the DEFENDER, the Dummy stack is removed...."

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Then your Dummy stack is eliminated.

A12.11:
"...Before announcing any mine attacks exposed by the movement of a stack topped by a “?”, the DEFENDER may force the ATTACKER to momentarily reveal a non-Dummy unit in that stack to show that an actual force exists there. If he cannot, or if the stack is friendly to the DEFENDER, the Dummy stack is removed...."
Hmmm. But that's my question - where does it say that the mine attacks friendly dummies. After all, they're my mines, and the dummy stack represents no one at all . . . (sorry to be obstinate in this one case, but I want to understand it . . .) Thanks!!

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hmmm. But that's my question - where does it say that the mine attacks friendly dummies. After all, they're my mines, and the dummy stack represents no one at all . . . (sorry to be obstinate in this one case, but I want to understand it . . .) Thanks!!
It isn't attacked, but per A12.11 it is removed.

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It isn't attacked, but per A12.11 it is removed.
Hi Klas - the part of the sentence that you highlighted states: "If he cannot, or if the stack is friendly to the DEFENDER, the Dummy stack is removed...."

But in the case I'm sighting, I'm not the Defender - I'm the Attacker (the one whose turn it is, moving through my own minefield in my own MPh). What am I missing here? Again, I'm sorry for the trouble.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
q&a said:
A12.11 & B28.41 May dummies enter/exit friendly hidden minefields without revealing either themselves or the minefield?
A. No. [An97; Mw]
This doesn't tell you exactly what happens, but presumably you won't do it now that you know something bad happens.

JR

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I know it's eliminated and do you want to know why I know? Three times inn the same CG scenario i ran my dummy stacks into my own hidden minefield. Twice into the same minefield. I am not a clever man.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi Klas - the part of the sentence that you highlighted states: "If he cannot, or if the stack is friendly to the DEFENDER, the Dummy stack is removed...."

But in the case I'm sighting, I'm not the Defender - I'm the Attacker (the one whose turn it is, moving through my own minefield in my own MPh). What am I missing here? Again, I'm sorry for the trouble.
In this case, the defender is the owner of the minefield regardless of who the passing player is.