Dummy guns in J210 Moment of Truth

lt_steiner

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
In J210 Moment of Truth, the Slovaks have 2 guns that must be set up <= 6 hexes from each other. The Slovaks have OB-given concealment counters. Can the Slovaks use for example a pair of Dummy guns counters that are more than 6 hex away from the real guns while still <= 6 hexes from each other (in order to mislead the attacking player on the real position of the guns) ?
My thought is that it is very clever and looks correct as the real units respect setup conditions. The pair of dummy guns also respect the setup conditions. But must each pair also respect setup conditions ?

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Dummy guns need 3 counters, one 1/2 2× 5/8.
Only the real guns need comply with set up restrictions.
If the guns are emplaced, they would set up hip so your dummies may not fool people.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
J210 as this SSR...and 14 x ? - so creating a few "Dummy" Guns isn't a problem.

2. The M14/19 ART Guns may not use HIP (but may still set up Emplaced).

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
...The pair of dummy guns also respect the setup conditions. But must each pair also respect setup conditions ?
The "Dummy" Guns only have to comply with the setup instructions of their OB-group - "Set up on/north-of hexrow D;".

Of course, if they don't also comply with the setup instructions of the Gun's - "Set up in brush hexes on/between hexrows G and K" - it's obvious they are dummies.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The dummy should be within 6 hexes of a real gun or another dummy, otherwise you telegraph that the unit is not real.

lt_steiner

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The dummy should be within 6 hexes of a real gun or another dummy, otherwise you telegraph that the unit is not real.
Yes but since you have two pairs of 5/8" concealed stacks, even if a pair is more than 6 hexes away from the other pair, it still leaves some uncertainty on which pair of stacked ? represents the real guns. But you know for sure one pair are dummies.

trailrunner

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played that scenario a month or two ago. I was the attacker, so I did not set up the two guns. My opponent did not set up dummy guns, but afterwards I suggested that as a strategy to him and we talked about it for a bit.

The setup conditions constrain the gun placement somewhat, but dummy guns would still allow some deception. For example, you could have two dummy guns on one side of the map, and the two real guns on the other side. This would make it harder for the attacker since they would have spread their forces and attack both axes until they figure out where the guns are. On the other hand, if you don't set up any dummy guns, and put one gun on each peak, you also force the attackers to spread their forces. Plus, those guns on those hills have good fields of fire, so they will likely be firing and losing concealment early. Setting up concealed guns uses a lot of the concealment counters, which could be used in the lower elevations to slow down the attack. So we concluded that it would probably be better not to set up the dummy guns, but it is a very interesting tactic. If you try that tactic let us know if it worked.

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I remember playtesting this one a couple of years ago (don't remember how far along in the playtest pipeline it was). As the defender, I opted to use enough ? counters for one dummy gun. I spread the guns/? out as much as the set up instructions would allow, with the real guns at the far ends. The attacker knew that two of the ? stacks are real, but which ones? While putting the real guns closer to each other would make them easier to defend (and they may even be able to have mutually supporting positions), with the scenario being short, I opted to play out the clock and force the attacker to consider splitting his forces. As I remember it, he massed his forces to storm the larger hill mass in the east. In the end he was able to get the two positions on the eastern hill mass, but discovered too late that the second gun was on the western hill. A fun game, and could be very tough on the attacker based on how many dummy positions the defender creates and how close the 2 real guns are to each other.