Dummy at start placement

applecatcher4

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi
I know this is basic but it has been a while. Can I place OB given concealment counters on real HIP units - so it looks like my mmg/leader nest but then appears to move in my turn - leaving real mmg nest hip behind?

Thanks

ctewks

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So if what you're saying, HIP some units is hex A..... then drop a couple dummies also in hex A, then yes, you can do that. And yes, you could move the dummies out and leave the HIPsters behind. Clever trick.

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is a clever trick!

Maybe this is just nomenclature... But i don't think you are placing a concealment on the hip units at all... which is to say you can't place a single ob concealment there... you are placing two ?'s... aka a "dummy stack". I think vinnie is saying the same thing as me...

what I'm saying: Can a dummy stack be set up in the same hex as hipped units? Absolutely... But I don't think you should think of this as concealing HIP'd units, that's not what is happening.

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's a clever trick as long as the dummy doesn't draw fire and end up revealing the HIP units. Just gotta be careful about it.

Seth

G.L.O.A.T.

Shut up and Play
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Still, it can pay off. Especially if you “skulk” out of LOS with the Dummy Stack, then advance back into a different hex during the APh (leaving the Dummies and HIPpies in different Locations).

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Another dummy trick: place a dummy in an AP minefield hex. Your opponent may bump-scout it.

JR
Works especially well if you opponents are US units with a GO morale of 6. They might get stuck in a minefield forever. Break upon entry. Take a while to (self-)rally. Then break again upon the attempt of getting out. Take a while to (self-)rally... Rinse and repeat.

von Marwitz

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Works especially well if you opponents are US units with a GO morale of 6. They might get stuck in a minefield forever. Break upon entry. Take a while to (self-)rally. Then break again upon the attempt of getting out. Take a while to (self-)rally... Rinse and repeat.
The unit might try to clear the minefield instead of leaving to avoid that endless cycle. But just moving out would probably be quicker .

JR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The unit might try to clear the minefield instead of leaving to avoid that endless cycle. But just moving out would probably be quicker .

JR
That might be a solution. But usually, until they step into the trap it might be around turn 2 or 3. Until they recover, turn 3, 4 or 5. Might be enough to keep them effectively out of the game in a short scenario.

von Marwitz

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

von Marwitz
With a broken morale of 8 take your chances and rout out of the minefield may be a better choice.