Dug in tanks in VotG

Hovned31

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm getting ready to play "The First Bid" as the Russian and am trying to figure out what to do with the at start T-34s. I have to set up at least two of them dug in. Should I set up more than the required minimum? I hate losing the mobility but given the German has Stukas for the first 12 turns, I don't see me moving them much. I've only used dug in tank once before-any thoughts or ideas on their employment would be great.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
With some mines/wire a dug in HIP T-34 can stuff a attack (in a area) for a day. Once in awhile (in a key position) I put a foxhole in there with a tunnel for a little infantry support. The Russains can 'bypass' the mines that way.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
IIRC, Mike McGrath shared some thoughts on what to do with T-34s in VotG in Journal 11. Although specific to CG IV, you may be able to glean some insight from his appreciation for the relative strengths and weaknesses of each side. For example, resist the urge to place a T-34 in G50, place cupolas in rubble and protect them with an adjacent unit, etc.

In my limited experience, T-34 M41 Cupolas are probably your best bet. They set up HIP like Guns. That said, I did notice that Mike put a runner in I45 in his at-start CG setup in the article. A lone T-34, maybe with the AL, might give you some flexibility, provided it survives long enough. However, unlike in a CG where you have the ability to purchase dummy (AFV) counters, a concealed AFV in The First Bid will be a Stuka magnet. In any case, you'll have seven AFV entering at some point along the south edge. I'd prefer to keep the German player guessing for as long as possible.

In any case, have a look at Mike's article. There are a lot of good points in it that you may want to consider before finalizing your defence.

Edit: You may want to double check re HIP dug-in tanks (i.e. cupolas). I seem to recall that there was some debate as to whether these are able to set up HIP in non-CG scenarios (see V12.6214, sub para c for HIP reference). D9.54 refers back to A9.52 which precludes placement in rubble, and prohibits concealment of any kind. There was a thread dedicated to this subject, but I cannot locate it at the moment.

Found it:
http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/first-bid-are-the-dug-in-t-34s-hip.128608/

Ignore my point re HIPing Dug-in T-34s; it is prohibited. I could not find the rule reference that permits setting up Dug-in tanks in rubble, which McGrath appears to recommend (p. 36).

Last edited:

Hovned31

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
IIRC, Mike McGrath shared some thoughts on what to do with T-34s in VotG in Journal 11. Although specific to CG IV, you may be able to glean some insight from his appreciation for the relative strengths and weaknesses of each side. For example, resist the urge to place a T-34 in G50, place cupolas in rubble and protect them with an adjacent unit, etc.

In any case, have a look at Mike's article. There are a lot of good points in it that you may want to consider before finalizing your defence.

Edit: You may want to double check re HIP dug-in tanks (i.e. cupolas). I seem to recall that there was some debate as to whether these are able to set up HIP in non-CG scenarios (see V12.6214, sub para c for HIP reference). D9.54 refers back to A9.52 which precludes placement in rubble, and prohibits concealment of any kind. There was a thread dedicated to this subject, but I cannot locate it at the moment.

Found it:
http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/first-bid-are-the-dug-in-t-34s-hip.128608/

Ignore my point re HIPing Dug-in T-34s; it is prohibited. I could not find the rule reference that permits setting up Dug-in tanks in rubble, which McGrath appears to recommend (p. 36).
Thanks for the info-I just put Journal 11 at the top of the "to read" pile and hope to read Mike's article tomorrow when I have some downtime after Christmas dinner. I was confused if I could HIP them and the thread you guided me to answer that question.