Dug in tank

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Should a Dug-in tank deploy HIP as a fortification?
A look to the index tell me it is not a fortification.
D9.54 and D9.52 tells me to place it as a if it were a pillbox
A pillbox may set up HIP A12.33...

By the rules index neither armoured cupula nor dugin tank are fortifications, so I think they cannot setup HIP...

Its that right?

Thx

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Yes. I thought that was the answer. But I found a Q&A regarding CC vs a HIP armoured cupula... It didnt mean anything but...

Thx a lot. Here you get questions solved at light speed!!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Per D9.54 a dug-in AFV is treated as an Armored Cupola except as stated otherwise. Per D9.52, "An Armored Cupola is never eligible for concealment." A dug-in tank not only is not HIP, it is not concealed at any time. Certain well-known CGs change this (e.g. RF11.6194(c)).

JR

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Thx again, JR!!

I thought only SSR could give HIP. There are a few examples on escenarios and a Q&A, but my problem was with "... placed... as if it were a pillbox..." and A12. 33 that state that "... Fortifications in concealemt terrain may always set up hidden..."

Of course I have to agree with you. I'm still rusty with the rules and make some obvious questions. Thx a lot

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I thought only SSR could give HIP.
Guns generally set up HIP [A12.34] and OBA Observers with field phones also [C1.23] in addition to fortifications.

There are a few examples on escenarios and a Q&A, but my problem was with "... placed... as if it were a pillbox..." and A12. 33 that state that "... Fortifications in concealemt terrain may always set up hidden..."
D9.52 says, "as if it were a pillbox (B30.1)," i.e. it is only trying to invoke one particular paragraph of pillbox rules and not saying that all pillbox rules apply. Even if it had made a mistake and said "B30" concealment would still be n/a because the D9.52 is also the rule that says later that concealment is n/a, and the later rule wins ["The Numbering System" in the Intro].

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Also in night scenarios a lot of stuff sets up HIP without SSR. And the Japanese get "free" HIP too.

JR

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
My english is also rusty : placed ~ set up...

Anyway it's a luck to have people like you an Klas and others like you both around here. You make it a look easy!!

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Yes my problem isn't with emplaced guns in concealemt terrain and things like that, its about my sheer ignorance of all detail of lots of rules (before I start with the night rules, I will try to learn bocage and PTO)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Yes my problem isn't with emplaced guns in concealemt terrain and things like that, its about my sheer ignorance of all detail of lots of rules
My problem too.

(before I start with the night rules, I will try to learn bocage and PTO)
You can learn these in any order. Night rules are used frequently in campaign games, so depending on your interests and goals, you may want to learn about night first. But it's entirely up to you.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
My english is also rusty : placed ~ set up...
That isn't a problem with your English. The two terms could refer to the same thing, or might not. There's overlap in their usage. The earlier chapters of the ASLRB, especially the early versions, also had lots of casual usage of English. The meaning probably seemed "obvious" to those writing the rules, or possibly they were unaware that they had made things unclear. It would be great if ASL rules were written with mathematical precision, but they are not. We have to muddle on as best we can.

JR