Duel at Reuler

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
So played this old classic today from Schwerpunkt 1. EC are 'mud'. I'm fairly sure that there's a big difference between EC are 'mud' (basically only affects kindling/spreading) and Weather is mud (no unpaved roads, bog checks, no smoke, + extra mf/MP e.t.c). However one of the SSR's is that all roads are paved. There doesn't seem to be any reason for this unless weather is mud. Played it that way, and it seems a better scenario for the mud (otherwise tanks zipping around far too fast for a narrow board). Was this an error or have I got the rule wrong?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So played this old classic today from Schwerpunkt 1. EC are 'mud'. I'm fairly sure that there's a big difference between EC are 'mud' (basically only affects kindling/spreading) and Weather is mud (no unpaved roads, bog checks, no smoke, + extra mf/MP e.t.c). However one of the SSR's is that all roads are paved. There doesn't seem to be any reason for this unless weather is mud. Played it that way, and it seems a better scenario for the mud (otherwise tanks zipping around far too fast for a narrow board). Was this an error or have I got the rule wrong?
Had the same question when we played it some time back. From my personal AAR it seems as we had received an answer that ground conditions were also mud and thus played it that way but I can't seem to find a notation to the official response among my notes. (One of my FAV scenarios BTW)

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yeah it's pretty good for such a small scenario. Sharpens up your armour play for sure.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
I'm not sure if the weather condition "Mud" should be assumed. Given that the SSR only says that "Mud EC" are in effect, I wouldn't play otherwise.

But as it happens, Mud EC is apparently sufficient to cause a Bog check on unpaved roads:

Q. (D8.23) Since Deep Snow is a weather condition (like Ground Snow), not an Environmental Condition (like Snow), when do the D8.23 conditions for a secret Bog DR apply?​
A. When the weather is Deep Snow (or the EC are Mud). [Compil8]​

If this Q&A is accurate, that would be enough to explain the scenario's unpaved roads without costing extra MFs for Infantry moving in OG (plus the other "weather" effects of Mud).

... seems weird given the exact reading of D8.23:

8.23 MUD & DEEP SNOW: When scenario Weather (E3) is "Mud" or "Deep Snow", a vehicle [EXC: motorcycle (15.47); Aerosans (17.24)HP] must chance a Bog DR whenever it enters a hex or hexside without benefit of a paved/plowed road/runway hexside....​

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm not sure if the weather condition "Mud" should be assumed. Given that the SSR only says that "Mud EC" are in effect, I wouldn't play otherwise.

But as it happens, Mud EC is apparently sufficient to cause a Bog check on unpaved roads:

Q. (D8.23) Since Deep Snow is a weather condition (like Ground Snow), not an Environmental Condition (like Snow), when do the D8.23 conditions for a secret Bog DR apply?​
A. When the weather is Deep Snow (or the EC are Mud). [Compil8]​

If this Q&A is accurate, that would be enough to explain the scenario's unpaved roads without costing extra MFs for Infantry moving in OG (plus the other "weather" effects of Mud).

... seems weird given the exact reading of D8.23:

8.23 MUD & DEEP SNOW: When scenario Weather (E3) is "Mud" or "Deep Snow", a vehicle [EXC: motorcycle (15.47); Aerosans (17.24)HP] must chance a Bog DR whenever it enters a hex or hexside without benefit of a paved/plowed road/runway hexside....​
It was an early scenario for SP & they probably missed difference in wording, but could be wrong. It does play better (both historically and play-ability) with weather conditions Mud.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
That Q&A is now obsolete - as the wording of D8.23 changed in the 2nd Edition.