Duds

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
7.1 A hit scored on a vehicle while using a LATW TH Table or the Vehicle Target Type is resolved on the applicable To Kill (TK) Table (7.31-.34). There are four different TK Tables; each is consulted only to resolve hits using its particular ammunition type. Each TK Table lists a Basic TK# for each weapon capable of using that type of ammunition.

C7.35 DUD: C7.35 Dud Any Original TK DR of 12 (regardless of ammunition or Target Type) has no effect.

A gun scores a CH using HE against an infantry target and rolls a 12. Does the attack have any effect?

Seems to me that a TK DR is specific to attacks against vehicles but the reference to " target type" suggests that duds might not be so restricted. C7.35 therefore appears to be inherently self contradictory. Is there any kind of official clarification of this?

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
7.1 A hit scored on a vehicle while using a LATW TH Table or the Vehicle Target Type is resolved on the applicable To Kill (TK) Table (7.31-.34). There are four different TK Tables; each is consulted only to resolve hits using its particular ammunition type. Each TK Table lists a Basic TK# for each weapon capable of using that type of ammunition.

C7.35 DUD: C7.35 Dud Any Original TK DR of 12 (regardless of ammunition or Target Type) has no effect.

A gun scores a CH using HE against an infantry target and rolls a 12. Does the attack have any effect?

Seems to me that a TK DR is specific to attacks against vehicles but the reference to " target type" suggests that duds might not be so restricted. C7.35 therefore appears to be inherently self contradictory. Is there any kind of official clarification of this?
I believe the answer is in your question. C7.35 A TK DR of 12 results in a dud. Not an IFT DR but TK. If the target is infantry, there is no dud. There are a few situations where you could be rolling a TK with other target types.
Here is one example from JRV
A dud only occurs on a TK DR [C7.35]. Against infantry it does not alter the result, whatever that might be. Note that (for example) an ATT CH against a stack containing both an AFV and infantry that rolls a CH (just to make it interesting) then rolls a 12 on the effects has a dud against the vehicle but a normal CH vs the infantry if selected or a regular hit if not selected.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I believe the answer is in your question. C7.35 A TK DR of 12 results in a dud. Not an IFT DR but TK. If the target is infantry, there is no dud. There are a few situations where you could be rolling a TK with other target types.
Here is one example from JRV
A dud only occurs on a TK DR [C7.35]. Against infantry it does not alter the result, whatever that might be. Note that (for example) an ATT CH against a stack containing both an AFV and infantry that rolls a CH (just to make it interesting) then rolls a 12 on the effects has a dud against the vehicle but a normal CH vs the infantry if selected or a regular hit if not selected.
That is how I have been playing it. Just thought that the wording of the last part of the rule was a bit odd. I guess that there are situations that mean it makes sense.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Not sure an ATT vs a vehicle - resolved as per C1.55 - is a TK DR, as it is resolved on the IFT. Hm...

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not sure an ATT vs a vehicle - resolved as per C1.55 - is a TK DR, as it is resolved on the IFT. Hm...
That's the way I've always seen it played. Using the ATT the attack is resolved on the "*" vehicle line on the IFT and is NOT considered a TK DR. Therefore OBA (Indirect Fire) & ATT can never have a "dud".

• INDEX: TK# (To_Kill_Number): C7.11 [Basic TK#: Number beneath Gun Caliber & Length on applicable To Kill Table] [Modified TK#: Basic TK# plus applicable To Kill Modifications (Cases A-D)] [Final TK#: The Modified TK# minus the AF of the Target_Facing hit] [Wading: T2.3]
However the common usage of a dud round is: A dud is an ammunition round or explosive that fails to fire or detonate, respectively, on time or on command.

grabowbe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Note that (for example) an ATT CH against a stack containing both an AFV and infantry that rolls a CH (just to make it interesting) then rolls a 12 on the effects has a dud against the vehicle but a normal CH vs the infantry if selected or a regular hit if not selected.
I don't think an ATT effects roll on the IFT (C1.55) is considered a TK DR, so a 12 would not be a dud (C7.35) versus a vehicle.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
We seem to be back to square one then! Is there any way to interpret C7.35 so that it makes sense without amendment? When can a TK roll be applicable against anything other than a vehicle? Is it perhaps referring to armoured and unarmoured targets when using the phrase "target type"?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Perhaps it means the To Hit Table (Type) of a LATW....perhaps it was something that was referring to something that was removed later and this part was left in there.

I don't see that it doesn't make sense - there are lots of "extra" words in the rulebook. It's clear that a Dud can happen on a TK DR.

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not extra words at all. In any rules writing, the technical translation of "regardless of" is as follows: "and in case I forgot some oddball case, the answer is still" no effect!

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think an ATT effects roll on the IFT (C1.55) is considered a TK DR, so a 12 would not be a dud (C7.35) versus a vehicle.
You are right on that, but I do think an ATT attack on an unarmored vehicle does constitute a TK roll. Regardless, I think the answer to the question is, it needs a TK roll to be a dud.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If I hit a vehicle with vulnerable PRC with a large calibre HE shell, if I roll a dud, is this still a specific collateral attack versus them?

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
Annual '96, on p. 61, says in a Tips from the Trenches:
An original 12 To Kill DR is a dud "regardless of ammunition or Target Type." But don't get fooled into thinking that your Original 12 IFT DR on the 30 FP column following a hit with 150mm HE is NE, it is still a 1MC! Only a PF Original 12 DR on the IFT results in a "dud". (per C13.36)