dtf 8 the art of war Q

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

Just played but we were not sure what kind of MMG's the PLA uses. What MMG's are available to the PLA? Also, there is the orchard overlay which covers the 64DD6 road, is there a road that runs through this hex?

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

Just played but we were not sure what kind of MMG's the PLA uses. What MMG's are available to the PLA? Also, there is the orchard overlay which covers the 64DD6 road, is there a road that runs through this hex?
The generic PLA MMG I think it is a 4-12. NOT the Russian MMG. I used the Russian MMGs at ASLOK and asked Peter if that was correct after the fact. He said no.

I've played this one twice and lost twice as the Nationalist Chinese. I think it is pro Red Chinese. However, I might not be grokking the essence of this one.

DTF 07 Fast and Furious is my favorite out of this pack. A highly entertaining scenario with lots of maneuver for both sides.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the info, I lost as the PLA on the last turn, Rich came on the north edge of board 64 and west edges, which kind of put some of my hipsters out of place. Still had a few hipsters on board 64 to use towards game end to do a end run, but that really did not work out to well. I really felt this did not feel like a Nationalist Chinese vs PLA due to the heavy scripted nature of the set up, you have to buy the 50 cal, you have to set up guys in out of the way places, you have to fall back on the hill in the middle of the map. The board configuration did not feel like it was taking place in the far east but in the Ardennes or east front. The massive terrain changes sucked and can be a pain to remember. But it is balanced, who cares if it just the two tone guys vs the tan guys, right? It really was not fun to play but this is basically a different design philosophy I suppose.

The generic PLA MMG I think it is a 4-12. NOT the Russian MMG. I used the Russian MMGs at ASLOK and asked Peter if that was correct after the fact. He said no.

I've played this one twice and lost twice as the Nationalist Chinese. I think it is pro Red Chinese. However, I might not be grokking the essence of this one.

DTF 07 Fast and Furious is my favorite out of this pack. A highly entertaining scenario with lots of maneuver for both sides.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like the Peoples Army in this one. Their stealth and step reduction are tough.

Step reduction can be a two edged sword. Just ask a Jpn defender who finishes a scenario with a couple of HS.

Unlike the Amis and to a lesser extent the Brits, the National Chinese army doesn't have the firepower to evaporate the Reds.

Ammo shortage of the People's Army helps, but the stealthy Reds just ambush and win too many HTH CCs. The two National Army tanks have their VBM abilities weakened.

My Reds would not take the .50cal as it breaks on an 11. Instead, I would take 4 Lmgs, 3 DCs and one Mmg for my 11 SWPP.

Every time my 9-2 went into CC, it was risky. Once, he survived a 1-2 HTH down one attack which would have probably ended the game

Fun scenario,

Rich

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Art of War is difficult for the attacker, but the canister on the Stuarts can be deadly and option to choose the entry areas after setup means you can overwhelm the spread out defences.

After one step reduction, your 3-3-7s are equal to the Communist 4-3-7s....quickly step reducing as many Commies as you can turns the table against the defenders. The tanks can cut off movement for the defender....

Would gladly play either side, and I would always buy a RCL as the defender and HIP it.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Art of War is difficult for the attacker, but the canister on the Stuarts can be deadly and option to choose the entry areas after setup means you can overwhelm the spread out defences.

After one step reduction, your 3-3-7s are equal to the Communist 4-3-7s....quickly step reducing as many Commies as you can turns the table against the defenders. The tanks can cut off movement for the defender....

Would gladly play either side, and I would always buy a RCL as the defender and HIP it.
Which 75 RCL is in the SWPP list that the Chinese National Army can purchase?

There is a German 5/8 and an Ami 1/2 counter.

Thanks,

Rich

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Which 75 RCL is in the SWPP list that the Chinese National Army can purchase?

There is a German 5/8 and an Ami 1/2 counter.

Thanks,
Rich

We would not want to force you to read the scenario card or the DTF special rules it refers to before playing.....but on both you can see that for 5 SWPP you can buy the CPVA-coloured 75mm. RCL and a crew.....

Colours are used on the scenario card to help you find stuff....

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I liked this one a lot too. The epic finish of my playing was the 7 CCs that decided the game on the last CCPh. I would play it again anytime.

Last edited: