DTF-4 Death To Fascism

Toby Pilling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm going to be playing this scenario soon - my first of this new pack - so am currently pondering a set-up. I'm really looking forward to it as I love the SSRs encouraging the fog of war, and the OOB choices that can be made. However, I have one miniscule criticism: for machine guns, I think the Support Weapon purchases should be limited to MMGs and above.
The problem is that LMGs are sort of inherent to platoons. The idea that the whole battle could take place without a single LMG (if the players don't purchase any), is somewhat unhistorical.
As I say, it's not a major thing, but I'd rather have seen a standard allocation of LMGs for both sides, with the SWPPs available to be spent on other weapons.

Toby Pilling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
One query - are the Romanian ATRs available to purchase the 20L ones with a ROF of 2?

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
One query - are the Romanian ATRs available to purchase the 20L ones with a ROF of 2?
Hi Toby,

thanks for getting the Pack (!) and for your comments.

We certainly considered what SW we would include in every OB and made the decision to mostly focus on MMGs to avoid "fantasy" SW OBs.

It was our view that LMGs are such a good value-for-money in MOST scenarios, that players will buy some (if not all) 4 of the available LMGs.

This of course depends a bit on the situation and the available SWPP.

So yes - I would agree with your observation, but we think in practice it will be limited.

The Romanian ATR is the regular 1-12 ATR.

All ATR in the first DTF pack are of this type - should there be 20L ATR available for purchase in the sequel, we will consider its SWPP value. I guess it would be 1.5 or 2 SWPP.

Please note all MG and MRT, when listed without any nationality indication, are the "usual" type for that nationality. So the Romanian LMG is the 2-7.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
The problem is that LMGs are sort of inherent to platoons. The idea that the whole battle could take place without a single LMG (if the players don't purchase any), is somewhat unhistorical.
You are quite right that LMG are inherent. Historically the majority of a squads FP comes from the LMG. ASL doesn't distinguish much, if any, between a Bren/BAR/Zb.vz.26/MG34/MG42/etc. The only ASL difference is that German Squads always have Spraying Fire due to having a belt fed LMG. Unlike MG platoons/companies the inherent squad LMG is assumed to have more limited ammunition that has to last them the day or multiple days, so has to be used somewhat sparingly.

The only ASL squads that don't have an inherent LMG factored in are the Soviet 628 and 527, they were unique in not having LMG in their OoB. Initially they represent the infantry regimental SMG squad (2 in Guards infantry) and 1 company in a Tank Brigade's motor rifle battalion. Later (late '43+) the Soviets converted 1 in 3 platoons in an infantry company (or 1 company in 3 of an infantry battalion) and likely many retained their LMG. For those conversions I would suggest adding 1 FP per 628/527 squad, IE 1 LMG per 2 (FRU/FRD to taste) SMG squads.

So what does the ASL LMG counter represent? Part of that is a possible platoon spare/extra, part extra ammo/spares, part to represent the common licentious and thieving soldiery "acquiring" anything that is not nailed down, part possibly a particularly good gunner and loader. It's basically a Design For Effect to represent squads that have some Fire edge, the others still have their inherent LMG.

Though I have a reputation as a nit picking history nut and the above justification seems and is a bit wishy-washy, it's something I am quite content with. Not all squads are going to be equally effective and the occasional additional LMG will give some an edge without the squad being so, so good that in ASL it would justify an extra leader.

Last edited: