DTF-3 True Grit

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finally got around to playing this one against Pete DiCiccicio on Wens. and was well worth the wait.
This scenario has the Dutch defending three four building clusters on board 8b with the Japs having to take eight of the twelve in 7 turns.
The dutch have ample squads but an ELR 2. However, 6 of their 18 squads don't enter until turn 5. They also have 3- 75 ART which are limited to setting up in the first 12 hex rows and a 20L AA gun, four wire, and four foxholes. The initial Japanese attackers start behind the three level hill crest of board 58 with 6 more squads entering on turn 2 between 8bs GG12 and 19. This is directly to the immediate left flank of the dutch and perilously close to the first group of VC buildings. The Japs also have air support with 2 k51s with 100# bombs.
I was very concerned about the proximity of the Jap turn 2 entry being so close to the first set of VC building so I set up a wall of wire with all three ARTs directly behind but only a few squads to support them. I also HIP'd a conscript in the lone wood building on the other side of the road from these guns and had another squad in the jungle to cover the remaining two OG entry hexes. Anything entering on turn 2 was going to be doomed. The rest of the squads has to set up forward with dummies missed in to hinder the initial wave of attackers and then hopefully pull back to reinforce the center and the right flanks. The only piece I had to defend the four VC buildings on my right was the 20L AA. If the forward dutch could not get back I would have to hope to delay the Japs until the reinforcements arrived.
Petes initial force was a little too cautious as I would have used a banzai on the second turn, but he was able to press the dutch right flank pretty effectively. (One mistake we made that may have favored me was that we forgot that building 8bV17 was a factory and therefore had no levels) Although in retrospect, it helped the dutch at the onset but helped the Jap in the end.
The defense on the dutch left held beautifully as the second group of Japs were murdered. Although Pete did manage to get a 1/2 sq and ldr into CC with one of the gun crew, he failed a 3 to 1 roll and then the dutch reinforced and eliminated the threat. The Japanese attack on the right flank was getting scary. A key to my defense was to drop back with a 3-4-7, mmg, and 7-0 to a foxhole in order to create a 2 fire lane that the jap wouild have to cross to get to the first set of building. This worked out great for me except for the fact that Petes sniper came in and killed the 7-0 and with a yatzee broke the squad. I was able to drop back a squad from the left flank to resecure the mmg, but Pete was able to get adjacent with his 10-1, and 2 squads with lmgs. Just as it was looking like the right four buildings were going to fall the impossible happened. Pete brought in a plane to bomb the lone AA gun and the dice rewarded him with a mistaken attack and guess what got hit: his 10-1 and two squads, result was a 1 KIA which killed the leader striped one squad and halved the striped squad. The resulting MC killed the 1/2 sq. and reduced the other to a 1/2 sq. With the dutch mmg now unthreatened and covering the open ground road and the AA still in tact, Pete felt he was way too low on squads to continue.
Regardless of this playing which we ended going into dutch turn 5, I would take either side in this one.
Once again, Peter and Chris have shown us how a great scenario is produced. Combined with the special DfT rules for SWs, etc.; this is very enjoyable, a little quirky, and different. One thing to note in the SSR is that this is not PTO, but light jungle, kunai, and palm trees are present. (Also watch out for that factory).
Can't wait to play this one again. Thanks Pete and Chris, you make an old guy happy!!!!

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Pete brought in a plane to bomb the lone AA gun and the dice rewarded him with a mistaken attack and guess what got hit: his 10-1 and two squads, result was a 1 KIA which killed the leader striped one squad and halved the striped squad. The resulting MC killed the 1/2 sq. and reduced the other to a 1/2 sq.

One thing to note in the SSR is that this is not PTO, but light jungle, kunai, and palm trees are present. (Also watch out for that factory).
Can't wait to play this one again. Thanks Pete and Chris, you make an old guy happy!!!!
Thanks a lot for playing this Dave!

Two quick comments: firstly, unbroken Japanese treat LLMC as LLTC (G1.62) so you probably misplayed that.

Second: wire set up in jungle stays HIP in enemy LOS, which can make it very effective in this scenario...

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks a lot for playing this Dave!

Two quick comments: firstly, unbroken Japanese treat LLMC as LLTC (G1.62) so you probably misplayed that.

Second: wire set up in jungle stays HIP in enemy LOS, which can make it very effective in this scenario...
You know on the LLTC, I told Pete when we were playing that I thought that was wrong but he insisted and it was getting late so I didn't bother to double check. As far as the wire goes, I set it up in palm tree hexes but yes, there is no reveal until you are on it or search.
Great scenario regardless.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
As far as the wire goes, I set it up in palm tree hexes but yes, there is no reveal until you are on it or search.
If you set it up in Palm Tree, Wire is revealed as per normal rules - it is only Fortifications set up in jungle, kunai, or bamboo that are treated as per G.2/E1.16.

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dammit. I forgot about that. I was going under the false assumption that fortifications are not revealed if set up in "concealment" terrain. I forgot that it is limited to jungle, kunai, and bamboo.