DTF-3 True Grit or DTF-6 Magnificent Beasts of Prey?

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Looking scenarios to play on Saturday. I cannot decide between these two.

Which one is better and why?

buser333

Reaction score

I have not played DTF6, but DTF3 is a true classic in my book. It's a great combination of bug hunt and reinforced swirling melee.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada

MBOP is a late war heavy metal slugfest while True Grit has the miserable KNIL army facing the might of the Japanese Empire. So a very different type of scenario.

I would say that True Grit is probably the more original design and the attack/counterattack timing has worked out particularly well. So unless you are put off by 2 firepower shots, this would be my recommendation.

Not to put down MBOP, the hidden German AFV make this a pretty interesting puzzle for both sides. Lots of attacking options for the Russians and once committed, you have to push hard regardless of resistance, or you will run out of time. No making nice with your AFV, some of them are going to burn against 1945 SS men.

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

This is an excellent problem to have! The real question is which one to play first. As Peter states above, these are two wildly different scenarios in both make-up and feel. I would say that DFT-3 is probably the more nuanced to play as both the Dutch and the Japanese need to play a high quality game in order to succeed. For the Dutch, finding a way to slow the Japanese for just the right amount of time without getting completely mangled is key. Hopefully, the Dutch will extract just enough from the Japanese that their reinforcing 10-2 directed studs will have the time and energy to recapture just enough buildings to pull out a win. As the Dutch, just be really careful about not letting the flanking Japanese reinforcements get behind your lines too quickly.

I also really enjoyed DTF-6 Beasts of Prey. The scenario is a little more static on the defense and the defending Germans really need to inflict a little pain on the Russians prior to getting into the village area or it can turn not a real house of cards.

Either way, there really is no bad choice here. One scenario is of the highest quality and the other is really good. Win, win for us.

Have fun!

Bill

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Having played both, you can't go wrong by choosing any one. I would prefer True Grit as it is demanding on both sides movement-wise. DTF-6 is more standard, with a rather static defender.

Last edited:

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I played DTF-3 as the Dutch with a fall-back defence, so it did not feel static to me for about half of my OB. Guns, of course, do not fall back.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I played DTF-3 as the Dutch with a fall-back defence, so it did not feel static to me for about half of my OB. Guns, of course, do not fall back.
Sorry i was talking about Mag Beast, it's corrected now in the post.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Both are ok scenarios, In both cases I really did not feel engaged with these scenarios, odd board configurations, overly complicated set ups and the same VC's just did not float my boat. No counter art really made looking over a wall of text somewhat painful too. Why no counter art? It really is difficult trying to determine what a M3A3 or a 75 ART M1933 is without having to scour the counter mix. Nothing against the designers, they obviously put alot of work into this pack but it just was not my jam.

Scott

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Thank you all, I'll go with True Grit. The plan is to play all DTF scenarios in the foreseeable future so the MBOP will have its time later.

Last edited: