Dry run for first landing operation

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
We will play our first landing operation soon (ASL 149 Grabbing Gavutu), and I want to check if I got the basic rules right.

As the American attacker, I have a lot of LCVs, unarmored, 5 MP, 39 PP (underlined), and a +2 BOG DRM.

So, dry run with one boat:
dry run 1 small.jpg
It starts offboard, and in the first turn, I move it:
2156 (1MP)
4131 (2MP)
4118 (3MP)
4186 (4MP)
4093 (5MP). Done.

In turn 2, I move:
4081 (1MP)
4068 (2MP)
4056 (3MP). BOG check with the +2 DRM. Assume I pass.
4043 (4MP). BOG check with the +2 DRM. Assume I pass.
Beach into 4031 (5MP).

Is that correct so far?

Per SSR, the Japanese can't shoot before their 2nd turn, so assume they shoot at me now, with their inherent firepower. It's a 4 flat attack on the IFT, using the * line for the LC, a 4 flat against the passengers, and a 4+2 for CE status against the inherent crew.
Assume the Japanese player rolls a 4. So the LC gets one Damage Point, because the the 4 is one lesser than the 5 on the * line for 4 FP.
And it's a NMC against the crew, who gets a +1 stun if they fail the check, but nothing else happens.
The passengers have to make a 1MC and are casualty reduced (instead of breaking) when they fail.

In my 3rd turn, I can unload my squads into 4031 (the beach hex) or into 4043 (the ocean hex the LC is supposed to be in) for 1 MF and normally move on from there. From this time on, the LCs ramp is considered down, but this has no further effect.

So far, so good?

Assume I did the same as above, only one hex up north, and moved from 2155 to 4042 and beach into 4030, a normal level 0 hex with huts. Everything is the same, except I have to pay 4 MF (2 MF for huts, times 2 for elevation change) to unload into 4030. (And the Japanese squad can't shoot in turn 2, because there's no LOS.)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
It's very confusing having a picture with the vasl-style numbering while you write with the physical numbering. Is there a way the two could be reconciled?

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
In turn 2, I move:
4081 (1MP)
4068 (2MP)
4056 (3MP). BOG check with the +2 DRM. Assume I pass.
4043 (4MP). BOG check with the +2 DRM. Assume I pass.
Beach into 4031 (5MP).
Per G12.3/E5.23, if the LC declares it is beaching as it enters 4034 it does not expend an extra MP, i.e. the cost to enter 4043 beached can be four MP. If it does not declare it is beaching it must expend the extra MP, as you have in your count.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Per G12.401 & G12.4, a unit may not unload in the LC's hex if the LC is beached across its CA. Units may only unload across the beached hexside.

JR

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
Thanks a lot!

Per G12.3/E5.23, if the LC declares it is beaching as it enters 4043 it does not expend an extra MP, i.e. the cost to enter 4043 beached can be four MP. If it does not declare it is beaching it must expend the extra MP, as you have in your count.
So I could instead move:
4081/S15 (1MP)
4068/R15 (2MP)
4056/Q16 (3MP). BOG check with the +2 DRM. Assume I pass.
While announcing: "Beaching into 4031/Q17" 4043/P16 (4MP). BOG check with the +2 DRM.
And delay for 1MP. Then unload into 4031/Q17 for 1 MF the next turn.

If I fail a BOG check, I'm beached in that hex, and can unload during my next turn for 25% FRU MP / 1 MF into that hex, nowhere else.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The extra MP doesn't do you a lot of good in this case because the infantry still can't unload. In other cases the gained MP might allow the Passengers to unload.

It's possible that the best move is to move into the last hex but not beach. An unbeached LC is generally less vulnerable to fire. At the same time if the LC stuns it could end up pointing in an awkward direction, and it will still have to expend one MP to beach in the next turn, and so would the passengers would still be attacked while aboard instead of while running on the beach. That extra MP would cost the passengers an extra MF too.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
For the particular case you give, non-ordnance direct fire FP is halved if the LC is not beached. See the LC Destruction Table (page 27) footnote 2. The FP of ordnance is not reduced but the LC typically gets the Moving/Motion TH DRM.

JR

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
Is the FP halved also for the attack against PRC, or only for LC destruction purpose?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Is the FP halved also for the attack against PRC, or only for LC destruction purpose?
The PRC are attacked as a collateral attack [G12.67], and collateral attacks use at most the same FP as the base attack. Against armored LC some of the FPs (/TK#s, etc) are halved per footnote c on the same table.

JR

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
yeah those rules are a handful. Good luck WeWei! While a handful they are pretty air tight and with particular exception IMO I thought very well designed.

On that note, how many scenarios, official or not, have had LCT's offloading AFV/vehicles in them. I can't remember any myself

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
In my first wave, two LCs ran aground, in the second wave, it was one. The third wave is still on it's way. My 9-2 was wounded, and my aircrafts passed a total of one(!) sighting task check, and then hit nothing. Fun times so far, and I haven't even got to the caves and pillboxes. :)

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
Having conquered Gavutu, I am now planning for Tanambogo and came up with another question:
Can I voluntarily unload into a Shallow Ocean hex, without being Aground or Beached? Just jump overboard and start wading towards the enemy? (I try to avoid a 36FP triple point blank IFE shot by the AA gun and would rather take the 12FP shot and then advance into CC later.)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Having conquered Gavutu, I am now planning for Tanambogo and came up with another question:
Can I voluntarily unload into a Shallow Ocean hex, without being Aground or Beached? Just jump overboard and start wading towards the enemy? (I try to avoid a 36FP triple point blank IFE shot by the AA gun and would rather take the 12FP shot and then advance into CC later.)
I believe that the only times you can unload are listed in G12.4ff & G13.731. Units may unload only from a LC that is beached (across a hexside, aground, or a wreck), one that is not beached but immobilized in shallow water, or one that is stopped next to a pier.

JR

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
Here goes my plan...
Is there any trick I can use to unload a LC in a Shallow Ocean hex? Hoping to fail the BOG check isn't very promising.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Here goes my plan...
Is there any trick I can use to unload a LC in a Shallow Ocean hex? Hoping to fail the BOG check isn't very promising.
No ESBing for the floating stuff to get it immobile, right?

von Marwitz

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
^ nope. LC are treated as vehicles except where otherwise noted in those voluptuous Chapter G rules.... but to attempt ESB you have be a tracked vehicle. No ESB'ing for those..

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
^ nope. LC are treated as vehicles except where otherwise noted in those voluptuous Chapter G rules.... but to attempt ESB you have be a tracked vehicle. No ESB'ing for those..
Ah, I had those LVTs in mind when thinking about ESB.

von Marwitz

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
yeah that is a sorespot. I got into a helluva argument once over whether ESB can be attempted or was ever intended to apply to purely amphibian MP while moving in a water obstacles not land or a transition from amphibious MP to land MP.

I lost that argument.. got my ass Contra'd.. couldn't find a rule that said one could not use ESB on ones amphibian MP but it doesnt 'feel' right. The MP values are not proportional for gain/risk.. and there is the whole notion of 'excessive SPEED breakdown'. You don't drink and drive.. you don't speed while using amphibious abilities or screens for DD tanks.. or ones ass ends up in the bottom of the ocean.