Dropping Topside YASL#10

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Dropping Topside was a wild a wooly fight for Corregidor at the end of the war. finally got to try this one at the Tussle v Sean D. we diced for sides an I got the IJA. I started whinging straightway. I think the IJA are a bit light. yes, historical and such but it makes for tough sledding for the sons of Nippon

never the less it is an interesting and fun scenario. good use of overlays, interesting random generation of terrain features, setup restrictions, high SAN's, US setup 1st / move 1st, quasi paradrop, use AA mode on paras. turns into a US enclave w/IJA sorta counter attacking to get 8FP on a point in the middle of the map at the end of the game

the paras have heaps of guys and gear. the IJA rather thin I think. although the IJA did manage to recover a canister with MMG in it. every exciting, until I had to destroy it before being blown to pink mist by superior para firepower

we played it to the bitter end. I felt like I was in it to the end, though barely. but in the end, I have let the emperor down

interesting and fun scenario, great opponent. I would play it again as either side but I think the IJA could use a bit of help

Sean Deller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
<crickets chirping>

Huh. I was hoping to see some feedback on this one. I think the key to victory for the IJA is to play this one like you are defense (despite moving second). Use patience and cunningness.
Set the captured .50cals up in two separate VC-qualifying overwatch locations, and support them with enough to make it dangerous for the paras to get at them. Spread the rest out around the perimeter and force the paras to disperse. Then keep moving away from them. Don't let the U.S. whittle down the IJA OB. The U.S. firepower is lethal, but if the paras haven't dealt with the .50-cals and AA Gun, they will be hard-pressed to stop a late-game counterattack to achieve the VC.

Khill nearly pulled it off in a nerve-wracking final turn. A fresh and interesting puzzle, made even more enjoyable with a great opponent. I liked it, and would play either side.

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pooch did a great job with this innovative scenario design. I enjoyed play testing it.

BTW, I love chirping crickets, they help me fall asleep at night.......