Drive for Saint Lo TM rules: LVP

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I am trying to decide whether to try the Bloody Buron or Drive for Saint-Lo TM, and while skimming the rules for Saint-Lo, I noticed something a bit unclear.

Is the LVP value of a hex always equal to the number of playable locations in it, or does it change if that number changes? If the former, it seems to me that there is a possible sleaze by the German player: rubble a LVP hex that is initially worth more than one LVP, and retreat at full speed. If the map contains less than 30 LVP, the only way the US player can reach the 30VP is by getting enough CVP - at least 15 if only 1 LVP disappeared. I realize there is no possibility of purchasing a Set DC, but they have plenty of time to Set one (or more) in-game, or to rain down OBA on appropriate buildings in hopes of rubbling them. It would also make it dangerous for the US player to use any heavy OBA close to the multiple LVP hexes.

George Kelln

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yes, the LVP = the number of playable locations x the number in the red circle. The US side also can accumulate VP for Casualties inflicted.

FYI in the playtesting and games played so far it hasn't been a problem, just remember, a Critical Hit only affects units (personnel/vehicles) and not does not affect terrain.

So OBA landing on a building hex, 105mm (20FP)the original DR must be 3 or less to rubble it, and if 150mm (30FP) must be 5 or less.

Good Luck

George

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Thanks, but what about Setting a DC during play just to rubble a building? A squad with, say, a -1 leader present stands a good chance (2/3) of successfully Setting a DC on turn 1 if it sets up in its target building; turn 2, move away and detonate in AFPh (need an NTC, but we're talking about 8 Morale with possible leadership). Once successfully detonated, a Set DC stands a very good chance of rubbling the building, and if done on a two level building this will reduce the total number of locations to under 30.

Managing this on turn 2 is not a sure thing, but with several DC from a single Engineer Platoon, it's extremely likely that it will succeed within, say, 4 turns. If the Germans pull this out and manage to avoid suffering 15 CVP before they exit their whole OB from a friendly board edge, there is absolutely no way the Americans can gather the required VP (the Germans just don't enter the board with any forces during the whole CG, so they won't take any casualties). Even if the Germans set up way back, I don't think the Americans can reach the target buildings fast enough to prevent this - it's just too easy to leave mines to slow them down (plus, allowing for up to 14 CVP means more than mere speedbumps).

In practice, it seems the VC make it possible for the Germans to win with a very high chance of success, without ever trying to fight for the terrain.

I'm not saying this is a strategy that is going to make for an interesting game for either player, but I believe any scenario design should try to avoid such loopholes.

George Kelln

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
In testing and regular play thus far, it has not made an impact. Now I suppose one could goes this blowing up building route, but as of now, it hasn't appeared to be a winning strategy for the German side. But I will keep an eye on this strategy to see if it becomes a trend.